Sponsored by:

Tire pressure and gauge accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
This thread is really old...but this morning in absolute anger (once every ~7 years), I placed my Longacre oil filled highly inaccurate POS gage in the vice, and cranked the vice and squeezed the juice out of it. I then placed this POS in the trash can.

Hence, why I am reading the thread as I will be buying a digitial gauge.

Will be Intecomp digital...
Why do you think digital is more accurate or repeatable than analog. In either option, the pressure gauge should be calibrated yearly or every 2 years. The pressure gauge is taken to a standards laboratory for calibration. For an analog gauge, my cost was $50. Digital cost would be higher and between calibrations, you have to know when to replace the battery. IMO, analog is the way to go.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 280 Posts

T&T, I will not argue abour analog vs. digital. I agree about calibration.
And I did buy the 360094 digital and will keep up with calibration.
I also have a French made Schrader fill with analogue gauge that has been super accurate, but it is a 150psi gauge and kind of hard to see +/-1 psi
Old 07-01-2017, 09:50 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

T&T, I will not argue abour analog vs. digital. I agree about calibration.
And I did buy the 360094 digital and will keep up with calibration.
I also have a French made Schrader fill with analogue gauge that has been super accurate, but it is a 150psi gauge and kind of hard to see +/-1 psi
This thread is old, yes, but timely....I've been using old-school VDO (now MotoMeter Germany) dial gauges for years and the one I was using finally gave it up after I dropped it (again) after checking my pressures....

So I pulled out the spare (originally bought two just for this occurrence), checked the pressures again and the new gauge read 1 lb higher than the old. Ambient temps had no bearing as I used both within a few minutes.

Ordered and received a new backup gauge, checked pressures and this new third gauge read 2 lb higher than the second one (and 3 lb higher than the first)--ambients were within a few degrees. Car was in the garage the entire time.

Moral--3 of the exact same gauges can read differently

Gary
Old 07-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Why do you think digital is more accurate or repeatable than analog. In either option, the pressure gauge should be calibrated yearly or every 2 years. The pressure gauge is taken to a standards laboratory for calibration. For an analog gauge, my cost was $50. Digital cost would be higher and between calibrations, you have to know when to replace the battery. IMO, analog is the way to go.
If you read the accuracy specs on the gauges, you'll see that your normal digital gauge has a tighter tolerance than nearly any analog gauge. The only analog guages that get close are test spec gauges. For instance, Longacre 53007 digital is .1lb / .1%, 52002 liquid filled is 2% (.6 lbs on a 30 psi measurement), and their "Pro Precision" analog is .25 lb to .5%.

If you walk through a pit at any pro race, you will see Intercomp digital scales in the majority. Their are a few Longacre and some Ashcroft.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,444 Likes on 1,948 Posts

This thread is really old...but this morning in absolute anger (once every ~7 years), I placed my Longacre oil filled highly inaccurate POS gage in the vice, and cranked the vice and squeezed the juice out of it. I then placed this POS in the trash can.

Hence, why I am reading the thread as I will be buying a digitial gauge.

Will be Intecomp digital...
Really old thread? You mean way back in 2015?

Staying on topic in the intervening eons I have purchased a nitrogen tank for my trailer. Its actually more convenient as I don't always run my generator which is needed for the compressor, which I still have mounted in the trailer as well.

Since I started instructing now I make sure that I talk about tire pressures with all the new drivers and the importance of checking every time you come off track.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:59 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I'm waiting for Tom Brady to weigh in on this issue....
Being a NY Giants fan, that is funny
Old 07-04-2017, 05:23 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've done lots of gauge research. Buy a high quality digital Intercomp or Longacre gauge. They are the most accurate unless you want to spend over $500.

I have a master gauge that is used to check other gauges. You would be very surprised what gauges are good and bad.
Matt, good info.
Interested to hear what battles you use and how often you change them? Do you keep a stash of spares?
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Matt, good info.
Interested to hear what battles you use and how often you change them? Do you keep a stash of spares?
I use a quality lithium. 9v. I keep 1 spare. They last a long time.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure and gauge accuracy