What's your HANS routine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Hans+Helmet going in and going out. Mike
You just wanted to say "going in and going out"... admit it.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Default What's your HANS routine?

Suited up with Hans and helmet going in. Helmet and Hans off still attached before exiting the car.

I can get out with everything on (a requirement for an enduro) but easier with no helmet and Hans.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:39 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You just wanted to say "going in and out"... admit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUNOJtfYKcQ
Corrected for ya : ). Mike
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Helmet off getting in and out of car.
HANS generally off both ways but not always.
I have a routine when putting on and attaching so I don't forget.
I don't race but can get out of the car with helmet and HANS attached.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Fully Hans+Helmeted getting in and out. I'm a thin man with pretty good strength and flexibility so it's really no problem at all. The only thing I'm not wearing is my gloves because it's easier to fiddle with belts and window nets.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Once I am in the car, I set my HANS on my shoulders, buckle my harness leaving the shoulder belts loose, but resting over the HANS. I put on my helmet, secure my chin strap, then connect the HANS to my helmet. Tighten the belts, make sure the belts are properly positioned over the HANS, put on my gloves, and then go time. I found following the same pre-programmed routine reduces the chances of me forgetting something.

When the need arises, like doing a driver change in an enduro, I can get in with helmet and HANS already on, (and exit when needed), but I when time is not a concern, I like putting it on once I am seated in the car.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

I know most people leave the helmet and HANS device together, and mostly put it on before getting in. I don't love fishing for and fussing with the belts while the helmet is strapped on. I leave them both in the passenger seat.

1) start the car, and crank the AC - let the car settle while I get ready.
2) get the lap belts sorted, then don the HANS
3) tie in the shoulder belts over the HANS and tie everything down.
4) Check guages (temp fuel, etc) set sport mode, turn on camera/lap timer etc.
5) put on the helmet. I wear glasses so my rule is that the chin and HANS straps are on before my glasses go back in. Then gloves on.
6) give the helmet a quick nod-test before driving off.

the other way much less rigor. Sometimes the helm comes of quick, other times I'm out first. if things are particularly tight in the paddock I'll unclip the helmet quickly before backing the car up.

Anyway, that's what I have been doing. Maybe I'll give the "normal" way a try for a bit.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Hans on in the morning. Hans off at the end of the day.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear glasses and it's a hell of a lot easier to put on the helmet+HANS while outside the car, then put on the glasses and climb in. Not much room, especially headroom, to do it all while in the car.

Don't these contradict?
No, it's much easier to get out of the car than to get in.

Except when upside-down. I can get out with the steering wheel on and the seat forward with the car right side up. I found out it's damn near impossible with the wheel on and the seat forward when inverted. Next time (hopefully never again), I'll remember to move the seat back and take the wheel off before trying to exit an inverted car. My normal exit procedure takes 7 seconds. Upside-down took close to 30.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
My exit strategy has always been to go out head first, seems like the fastest way as I am also tall. Of course, that is after I finish my text, put my cigarette out and turn the AC and radio off
Well, for me, add "finish my venti latte"...
Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Carrera51. Seems like limited visibilty with helmet on. Checklist in car says:

Camera On
Window Net
Hans On
Belts
Plug in Cool Suit (Check Flow)
Helmet
Hans Straps
Gloves

Pretty much reverse order when getting out.

And yes there is a checklist on the steering wheel.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:48 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Once I am in the car, I set my HANS on my shoulders, buckle my harness leaving the shoulder belts loose, but resting over the HANS. I put on my helmet, secure my chin strap, then connect the HANS to my helmet. Tighten the belts, make sure the belts are properly positioned over the HANS, put on my gloves, and then go time. I found following the same pre-programmed routine reduces the chances of me forgetting something.

When the need arises, like doing a driver change in an enduro, I can get in with helmet and HANS already on, (and exit when needed), but I when time is not a concern, I like putting it on once I am seated in the car.
That's how I do it except the first thing I do is connect the cool shirt, the last is put on the damn arm restraints. Connecting the radio is in there too after the Hans straps and before the chin strap. I always do it in the same order though.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I am tall, with long legs and broad at the shoulders so climbing in a caged car is already a chore. A SPB is a gymnastics exercise for me. Cant do it with the helmet on and cant do the separate the HANS and helmet thing. So I gear up in the car with the rig together. It has never been an issue for me space wise and I find that before the race group goes out i am more comfortable and gear up when they call 5 minutes. I normally am ready to go at 2 to go including getting the helmet blower connected.

Interestingly, I can get out with the rig on, which of course is necessary in an emergency. I normally do get out with it on as a way of continuously practicing the exit if you needed to as its more second nature. Normally I only take the rig off in the car if I am sent to the scales.

+1
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Firstly, helmet always tethered to the HANS. When I was DE'ing my street cars, my SOP was to pull the helmet & HANS on after getting into the car. Now that I'm racing a Cup, I've found it easier to put it on before getting in the car. My helmet is a Stilo with an air nozzle on top, which makes it a pain no matter which method you choose, since the nozzle either hits the roll bar on the way in, or it hits the roof if you're pulling it on once in the car.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:32 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I put the helmet and Hans in the car at the beginning of the day and leave them there. Entering and exiting a small car with a cage, can be accomplished with them on. However, it seems I risk banging/chipping the helmet each time.

So, generally they are on the floor of the passenger side, separated. This is also why I like my quick disconnects. I get in the car, put the Hans on, loosely fasten the belts, put the helmet on, then tighten everything down once established in my position on grid. I feel this gives me the best ability to swivel my head and see/avoid things in the paddock. Lastly, as soon as I clear the track/pit in, I release the Hans so I can fully turn my head while driving back to my parking area.

Quick Reply: What's your HANS routine?