Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your HANS routine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i always keep my HANS attached to my helmet.

that being said, i have seen some pros install their HANS on their neck and then hook it onto their helmet which was a pretty cool trick.

i have a hard enough time putting a HANS on my helmet in my lap let alone doing it blind. lol
Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I put the helmet and Hans in the car at the beginning of the day and leave them there. Entering and exiting a small car with a cage, can be accomplished with them on. However, it seems I risk banging/chipping the helmet each time.

So, generally they are on the floor of the passenger side, separated. This is also why I like my quick disconnects. I get in the car, put the Hans on, loosely fasten the belts, put the helmet on, then tighten everything down once established in my position on grid. I feel this gives me the best ability to swivel my head and see/avoid things in the paddock. Lastly, as soon as I clear the track/pit in, I release the Hans so I can fully turn my head while driving back to my parking area.
This is basically the same process I use. I don’t put my helmet on until the 5 min grid sign. Might as well stay as cool as possible as long as possible.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:40 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 729 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I don’t put my helmet on until the 5 min grid sign. Might as well stay as cool as possible as long as possible.
I chat with Nadine and the crew guys on grid. We go through check lists (not that we can do anything about whatever we forgot now), remind me to turn on my Coolshirt (I've gone through entire races thinking 'damn its hot...oh...forgot to turn on the Coolshirt) discuss strategy (go fast, don't hit anything), lunch (or dinner), evening cocktails plans, etc. Can't do all that in 5 minutes!!! ;-)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things:

I have a checklist taped to the dash. I did that after I forgot the put up my window net or hook up my cool suit a few times.

I put on my Hans and helmet once I'm in the car. However I had a break down 2 years ago and pulled off the track mid-race. My cage is tight, so I had difficultly getting out of the car on a hot track. Something that needs to be practiced!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:09 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
A few things:

I have a checklist taped to the dash. I did that after I forgot the put up my window net or hook up my cool suit a few times.

I put on my Hans and helmet once I'm in the car. However I had a break down 2 years ago and pulled off the track mid-race. My cage is tight, so I had difficultly getting out of the car on a hot track. Something that needs to be practiced!
Also do it blindfolded, Tape a black rag over the visor. When that fuel cell goes up, you're going to instantly shut those eyes!
Old 10-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
Also do it blindfolded, Tape a black rag over the visor. When that fuel cell goes up, you're going to instantly shut those eyes!

And also hold your breath at the same time, since you may be dealing with thick smoke
Old 10-09-2019, 05:47 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 306 Likes on 210 Posts

Good thread. I've wondered how everyone is doing this.
This is my first year with the HANS so I've been experimenting.

Get in car.
Put HANS on and then do belts up but leave them loose.
Put helmet on and then HANS straps.
Move seat forward.
Gloves and glasses.
Tighten straps.
Opposite to exit.

I can barely put my helmet on in the car never mind get in the car with it on.

I should practice getting out with everything on.

DE only.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a Simpson Hybrid --

I have the Hybrid connected to the HANS. I put the combination on inside my car (SPB). I have to lean over towards the passenger side and carefully avoid destroying my mirror.
The HANS was simple compared to putting the Hybrid on until you get the knack of it.

I get out either way.

I did find using surgical cord on the restraints a huge help in locating the belts and avoiding the inevitable trapping one of the shoulder belts behind your back.

Mike
Old 10-16-2019, 12:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

I am just lazy. Input the HANS on at the start of the weekend and take it off when unpack up.
A bit of jungle gym contortion to get in, but it's not a problem to me.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Only 2 checks i havent seen is

Detachable steering wheel, triple check.

Hans double check. Leh Keen put a video up awhile ago and he was headbanging pulling up to grid,
I do it all the time and as we roll onto track....lets you know the hans is on...both sides. Or you have a last chance to pull over and fix them

Quick Reply: What's your HANS routine?