Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of racing. Automatic or manual.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default The future of racing. Automatic or manual.

So I imagine this has already generated a thread or two, and honestly I did not research the topic so if the regulars are bored with this discussion and would rather refer me to a previous thread I totally understand, but with all the aside here's the question . . .

Is the future of racing going to be all automatics?

I have another hobby flying RC airplanes, and in that world the advent of electrical motors changed the hobby forever. Many folks adhere to the older technology of gas engines but the clear trend is towards electric airplanes, and if the trend is steady gas planes will be "classics" and not actual competitors.

So from what I understand the current generation of automatic "Tiptronic" style transmissions can outperform manuals hands down so does that mean the future of racing will go fully automatic or has it already done so?

Just a newbie wondering . . .
Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 547 Posts

It'll probably be gear-less.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some day auto racing will be quaint sport like racing horses. Automatic transmissions are but one step on the path.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

I don't think it will be automatics. It will continue to be dual-clutch paddle shift gearboxes with auto-blippers. The drivers will still be in charge of selecting the gears and actuating the paddles to get to them.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I don't think it will be automatics. It will continue to be dual-clutch paddle shift gearboxes with auto-blippers. The drivers will still be in charge of selecting the gears and actuating the paddles to get to them.
Exactly my thoughts on the subject.... Once you have driven a real paddle shift manual (not automatics with paddle actuation) you will never want to go back! That is one of the best parts of driving my Radical.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

The future is now. I can't think of any modern production race cars that use a clutch pedal for shifting gears. F1 have clutch paddles for launch, GT3 cars have a pedal to get going, but it's not used after the car is rolling.

There are of course us amateurs who race old cars with h-pattern gear boxes with clutch pedals, and Nascar probably still uses hydraulic clutches with 4 speed gearboxes.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Do the PDKs compete in the same PCA classes as the manuals? If so have the PDKs proven to be advantageous?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not convinced "Easier" = "Better". Sure the newer shifting mechanisms are faster, but if that's all that matters the human will be removed from racing as well at some point, where the car not only shifts itself, but perhaps drives itself. Even if it doesn't get to the extreme, do we really want real racing to become just like a video game?

I personally enjoy running through the gears and doing heal-toe downshifts on the track and consider it part of the sport. It's definitely more involved than a couple of paddle shifters and a dual clutch transmission.

But then again, even I'm "cheating" a bit as I drive a synchronized box as full on "old school" would require double-clutching and an unsynced box.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are really 4 categories.

Auto -

Dual Clutch -

Single Clutch Paddle -

H-Pattern Manual -

Real torque converter auto's are not advantageous to a good driver with a good manual. Even the new Z06 is faster with the manual vs the auto GM claimed shifted faster than PDK.

Single Clutch Paddle Shifters pretty much are run in all pro series. These are high costs to maintain, so I don't think this will trend into amateur racing.

Dual Clutch - banned in many racing series, but as soon as that is lifted, there will be a bunch of people driving around in auto. Like almost every 991 GT3 or Turbo driver I've seen.

Manual will still rule amateur racing and track days for some years to come because of the much cheaper cost of maintenance and older cars. Series will balance performance with difference classifications and penalties for DCT.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I don't think it will be automatics. It will continue to be dual-clutch paddle shift gearboxes with auto-blippers.

The drivers will still be in charge of selecting the gears and actuating the paddles to get to them.
While they can still be in charge of that, the automatic (or better yet, optimal) algorithms will continue to improve, so that will be an option (at least in PDK).

This is not a bad thing. Both clients I worked with this past weekend had converted paddle shift cars. They made less mistakes, were more often able to focus on areas of safety and performance improvement and, by and large, performed at a higher level than most club-level racers because of this "aid."

Yes, I still like to row a stick every now and then, but good things are not only coming, they're here now!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
There are really 4 categories.

Auto -

Dual Clutch -

Single Clutch Paddle -

H-Pattern Manual -

Real torque converter auto's are not advantageous to a good driver with a good manual. Even the new Z06 is faster with the manual vs the auto GM claimed shifted faster than PDK.

Single Clutch Paddle Shifters pretty much are run in all pro series. These are high costs to maintain, so I don't think this will trend into amateur racing.

Dual Clutch - banned in many racing series, but as soon as that is lifted, there will be a bunch of people driving around in auto. Like almost every 991 GT3 or Turbo driver I've seen.

Manual will still rule amateur racing and track days for some years to come because of the much cheaper cost of maintenance and older cars. Series will balance performance with difference classifications and penalties for DCT.

Agreed.

Many who race PDK Caymans (Caymen?) in the GTB 1.5 class run in full auto with Sport Plus on. They can text their friends, siip a latte, and do their nails on the straightaways, and left foot brake the whole time. Undeniably easier and much faster accelerating (especially when combined with DFI) but wow...totally uninvolving.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have had several of the younger generation who wanted to take my Cayman out for a drive. I would flip them the keys, they would run over to the car, and come slinking back in about 30 seconds because they did not know how to operate a manual transmission.

Automatics are unfortunately the wave of the future.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...vacuum+cleaner
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is not a bad thing. Both clients I worked with this past weekend had converted paddle shift cars. They made less mistakes, were more often able to focus on areas of safety and performance improvement and, by and large, performed at a higher level than most club-level racers because of this "aid."
I would call that a bad thing.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called progress, and you can fight it but you won't win.

Quick Reply: The future of racing. Automatic or manual.