Sponsored by:

Chatterbox feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chatterbox feedback

I have a new Tandem Pro 2 that I used with a Stilo helmet for the first time last weekend. It had way to much gain on the microphones, it virtually amplified all the background noise. I had to stop using it I couldn't hear a thing over the background noise.
Anyone else with similar experience??
Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts
Default Chatterbox feedback

I have the exact same setup with no problem.

whose mic amplified the noise?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have the exact same setup with no problem.

whose mic amplified the noise?
Tough to say. I held my had over both mikes with little effect and did not have a lot of time to sort out the issue. I'll do some experimenting, glad to hear yours works.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've had trouble with a number of the extensions that I've sold. If you were using one, try it without and see if that fixes things.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been running the Tandem Pro for two years and occasionally have had the problem but generally it works O.K. I always use an extension. Last week had the issue and disconnected and reconnected and it was O.K.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Reconnecting often makes noises go away. But I haven't had the level of problem you are experiencing.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Contact Stable Energies, a sponsor, they handle them.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I have the long adapter cable connecting the Stilo to the C-Box and a student headset with no extensions. I'll try just 2 student headsets and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had issues with the in-helmet mic and speakers. When I turned up the volume so that I could hear, the student would complain that it was too loud. Also, I had also removed the wind filter so that I could tuck the mic under my helmet liner figuring that the wind was out of the wind stream, however, I still got lots of wind noise through my speakers. A friend kept the wind sock on his and claims no problems but I now just use 2 student headsets and everything seems much better. Also, make sure that your system is fully charged as I have had intermittent feedback issues which I suspected were because I didn't charge before the event. The power light was on so I thought it would be ok. And sometimes I have feedback / no sound issues that are fixed by plugging and unplugging the headset. The system is definitely not as reliable as I would like and is very frustrating when I jump in a car and it is not working. Others I talk to seem to have had better luck than me. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:30 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Tandem Pro 2 and have not had problems so far.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

OK, tried it again, this time not in a cup car, it was much better. Apparently the noise of the 6Cup must have overwhelmed it. Instructed at a Mercedes event today and it worked perfectly with "normal" interference from outside.
Interesting, I plugged the Stilo-to-Chatterbox cable into my I Phone and was able to hold a conversation with my helmet on....just sayin
Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
OK, tried it again, this time not in a cup car, it was much better. Apparently the noise of the 6Cup must have overwhelmed it. Instructed at a Mercedes event today and it worked perfectly with "normal" interference from outside.
Interesting, I plugged the Stilo-to-Chatterbox cable into my I Phone and was able to hold a conversation with my helmet on....just sayin
2 way team radio!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I had issues with the in-helmet mic and speakers. When I turned up the volume so that I could hear, the student would complain that it was too loud.
I had that problem BIG TIME. Then I realized that the issue was that I had the permanently-mounted speakers covered by all the foam in my helmet liner. So I cut out the inner material and plastic between the speakers and my ears and I had WAY better sound quality and could lower the volume so my student wasn't unhappy.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:27 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Only time I've had issues were:
1. Where the student had their mic below the helmet so it was getting wind noise
2. In a loud car where the Chatterbox setup is simply not loud enough

I've experimented with a Peltor communicator: much better volume (and better volume control) but they don't make a student headset so the only solution Stable Energies has found is an adapter to a Chatterbox student headset. That does work better in a loud car but it is a clunky solution--and the Peltor unit is much larger so can't be clipped to the side of my helmet like the Chatterbox.

If anyone has found a better solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Quick Reply: Chatterbox feedback