Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time taking Porsche 991 C4S to the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

He needs to autocross for a while so that everything he is doing on the big track does not terrify him. Even after autocrossing for a while, things he see and does on the big track will scare him. But becoming a competent autocrosser will help immensely.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to point out...he was telling his instructor he didn't feel comfortable heel-toeing and the instructor insisted on later braking and heel toeing...

Sounds like maybe the instructor was a bad match. I've seen plenty in the beginner group at a club like NASA or PCA start slow with highway braking and practicing good application of throtttle out of turns, apex correctly, etc. before working on braking points and heel toe...

Just saying..instructor may have not read his client very well. Glad you had fun though! I agree autox might be good, but honestly...

Just get a good instructor. I think thats #1. Remember, a good instructor isn't just good at driving...they are good at reading where you are in your mind as far as comfort and skill goes, and putting you where you need to be to improve.

Your instructor was probably a fine driver, but I suspect he didn't read you properly.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

Man, I'm sorry it wasn't amazing your first time. I distinctly remember feeling overwhelmed my first track day, like trying to get a sip of water from a fire hose with so much coming at you all at once.

I've been fortunate to always have an instructor who understood where I was and worked with me from that place. If you decide to go again (you should!) know that if you feel like there is too much going on with what you are being asked to do you can pit in right there and tell them that. You paid the money, you paid for the car, it's your experience. Take control of that aspect by communicating to the instructor what is making you uncomfortable. It's their role to talk with you and work with you. It is the rare instructor who won't listen to your concerns and try to make your day fun.

Get back out there, it's one of the most fun things in the world when you find a good instructor fit.

What organization was it? People might have some feedback on that if you perhaps weren't with a great one.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

My first experience with HPDE was very much like yours - I was terrified the whole time and did not seem to be able to get a groove going with my instructor. It felt like he was saying "turn at the gators" over and over and I didn't even know what that was. It seemed like every car was flying by me every second. I picked him up at his parking spot before my session and dropped him off after, no debrief, pre session briefing, nothing.

I decided to go back a second time, and after I registered I emailed the CDI and was matched with a different instructor. WOW! He spent a ton of time with me before, during, and after my session, showed me how to check my tires and set pressures, talked about braking points, where to turn in, trackouts, apexes, everything. It was totally awesome. This was with a PCA DE.

You should definitely go back. Good luck!

Steve
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for the well thought out and helpful comments.

It wasn't PCA or NASA. I'm afraid to put too much info about the group or instructor because I don't want to be identified by either one if I go back.

Even though it was the beginner group I felt like it was geared towards someone that had basic gear and knowledge I didn't have. I'm surprised how instructor dependent these are and that there isn't standard equipment (like helping with tire pressure/ensuring instructions can be heard in the car) or pre/post track instruction.

What I'd like to do is get a map of the track marked with where your turn points are and where to brake, let off throttle, and get on throttle.

I'm going to keep checking the track website to see when different groups are doing beginner events. Next time I'll ask for feedback here before I sign up.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

It wasn't PCA or NASA. I'm afraid to put too much info about the group or instructor because I don't want to be identified by either one if I go back.

Even though it was the beginner group I felt like it was geared towards someone that had basic gear and knowledge I didn't have. I'm surprised how instructor dependent these are and that there isn't standard equipment (like helping with tire pressure/ensuring instructions can be heard in the car) or pre/post track instruction.

What I'd like to do is get a map of the track marked with where your turn points are and where to brake, let off throttle, and get on throttle.

I'm going to keep checking the track website to see when different groups are doing beginner events. Next time I'll ask for feedback here before I sign up.
Have you done any autocrossing? If not, you should. Sign up for an autocross school too. This will allow you to learn about you and your car in a safe environment with no other cars on the course to cause you concern.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

What track and where are you located?

If PCA runs track days in your area, I highly recommend going with them. They run a good event, and my instructors have always been fantastic. They are patient, organized, and usually have experience driving similar cars. My instructors have always had radios for my helmet so communicating in-car has never been an issue. They also run in-class sessions between track time, where they go over track lines, brake/turn-in/track out points etc... as well as general track etiquette and advice.

Before going, watch youtube videos of other people driving the track you're going to be on. Preferably, driving a similar car. This will help you learn the track and the line before you get there - or at least be more familiar with it.

Practice heel/toe whenever you drive the car. When you're at speed on the track, you don't want to have to think about your downshifts and rev-matching (as you said, you're already thinking about a zillion other things!). Once they come second nature, that's one less thing to focus on. Every time you're in the car you should practice, and soon enough you will do it without thought.

If you don't "click" with your instructor, don't be afraid to ask for a different one. You're paying them, you deserve to get the most out of it!

Personally, I never let the instructor take me out in my car. I don't learn a track by watching, I learn better being the one behind the wheel. Then later in the day I ask that they take me out in their own car so I can watch their line... but I do this after I know the track. For me, riding as a passenger with your instructor isn't a tool to learn a new track, it's a tool to improve your driving on a track you know.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: 1st time taking Porsche 991 C4S to the track