Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015 | 11:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Laguna Seca Club Race

Who's going to be there? (Translating RL names into real-world names isn't intuitive.)

I'll be there but am wondering how well it will go with 50-some cars on track at once. I like LS but getting around slower traffic will be interesting. 10 GT3 cars will be fun.
Old 05-16-2015 | 09:47 AM
SoClose
Racer

Hey Tom-
Unfortunately Kim's in some big horse show, so we'll miss it.
Gotta find some time there before Rennsport Reunion!
Old 05-16-2015 | 10:23 PM
biko
Instructor

I would like to race the PCA race but my license lapsed 10 years ago and now just getting back into racing. I will be doing the SCCA race that weekend at Laguna in the P1 class. I need 6 race days in SCCA to get my PCA license.
Old 05-16-2015 | 11:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biko
I would like to race the PCA race but my license lapsed 10 years ago and now just getting back into racing. I will be doing the SCCA race that weekend at Laguna in the P1 class. I need 6 race days in SCCA to get my PCA license.
scca will be running with PCA? when is this event?
Old 05-17-2015 | 04:10 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark: It's the other way around. PCA has a run group in an SCCA event June 4-7. This was done 2 or 3 years ago also and it worked pretty well.
Old 05-17-2015 | 02:49 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom W
Who's going to be there? (Translating RL names into real-world names isn't intuitive.)

I'll be there but am wondering how well it will go with 50-some cars on track at once. I like LS but getting around slower traffic will be interesting. 10 GT3 cars will be fun.
I'll be there Tom, but in one of the SCCA run groups w/ the 458 GT3. I wonder if the PCA guys would let me into their run group too? A little extra track time never hurt...

-mike
Old 05-17-2015 | 03:57 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike: I saw you in the SCCA list when I signed up for practice Thursday. PCA rules won't allow that thing you drive now to run with them. (But we practice together on Thursday, not that I'll be able to keep up to you.) The JWE guys will be doing support at Thunderhill that weekend so I won't be easy to find. I'll wander around and find you to say hello.
Old 05-17-2015 | 06:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
Mark: It's the other way around. PCA has a run group in an SCCA event June 4-7. This was done 2 or 3 years ago also and it worked pretty well.
I remember! Illl be there. I also remember a few ran in our Group 3 to get more track time.... I wouldn't mind running in the PCA group if there is room.. in fact, I might just do that!

as far as 50 cars, that's fine .... ive race there In mixed classes when we had near 25 cars in ITE alone and then near 40 cars in other classes. a little crowded, but it just made the race interesting when lapping the slower cars..... qual and practice was a little crowded but always seemed to fine at least one or two clean laps.

Mk
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:24 PM
SoClose
Racer

Has anyone heard of Speed Ventures?
We signed up for a race with them at LSeca at the end of June.
Looks like mostly a DE thing with one race group.
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoClose
Has anyone heard of Speed Ventures?
We signed up for a race with them at LSeca at the end of June.
Looks like mostly a DE thing with one race group.
Speedventures puts on well organized fun events. The people are great and very easy to work with. Their race group is a relatively new addition and was mostly spec miatas at the last event I did with them.
Old 05-18-2015 | 01:34 PM
SoClose
Racer

Thanks Cory-
When I look at the entry list, I can't figure out who is in the race group.
They're suggesting plenty of track time-
Old 06-01-2015 | 02:26 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Holy GT3 Cup signups Batman! Almost wish I had a Cup instead of the 458 to play... never seen that many Cups entered for a regional club race. Very cool!

-mike
Old 06-01-2015 | 10:15 PM
biko
Instructor

Wish I could run the new 991 Cup with guys!

Then again, I don't have much time in it yet. Honestly compared to a sports racer, the Cup feels like an suv!
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2015 | 08:52 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Tom what happened in the race? Several FCY's and looks like a few cups didn't finish...
Old 06-08-2015 | 09:28 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

John: Saturdays race was a cluster f*. Three double yellows due to cars dead on course in bad spots but really bad driving by some to pass under double yellow. For example, in the first DY I had to check up in T5 as I would not have finished passing a 944 in time. DY prominently displayed also at T6 and along the Rahal straight (at T7). Some clown then passes me just before the corkscrew. He blew through 3 flag stations before he got a clue. Another 'oops' was when one guy decided to pit during one of the later DYs and a whole bunch of others followed him into the hot pits (in their defense, there had been an isolated black flag shown at T7, but nothing after it).

That said, the two races on Sunday were incredibly fun. I had very tight races with some guys you usually race with (John Ball, Jan Sussman and Rob Phillips). John lost an axle and retired early from Race 3 but otherwise it was a hoot. I was also thrilled to set a new personal best (1:35.8) in Race 2.

I didn't see any of the other incidents and I know of only 1 cup that had to retire due to contact (I think he hit a guy who spun in front of him).

Other than a few brain farts by drivers in Race 1, it was a fantastic weekend.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Club Race