Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: Just Built Spec Boxster- $25k.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015 | 12:45 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Nothing exciting Chris, I think all will be fine.. I needed to stop the flow of SPB FS, seems to be a lot available!

Thanks Paolucch, I hope to be somewhat competitive but i'm just happy to be back out there for 2016...
Hope the video clears things up. Have fun Gary.
Old 12-03-2015 | 11:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Chris - all is well, thank you for the video. Can't wait to get her set up and out on a track!
Old 12-04-2015 | 01:10 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Congrats.
Enjoy it in good health.
Old 12-04-2015 | 07:21 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I think I'm going to go up to Lime Rock this year since I'm not going to Sebring. See you there Gary.
Old 12-04-2015 | 08:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I think I'm going to go up to Lime Rock this year since I'm not going to Sebring. See you there Gary.
Hope so Scott, maybe let me chase you for a couple laps..
After a bit of thought, last time up here you were into your motor with misfire issues, no? I hope this time goes better (for both of us!)...

Last edited by Gary R.; 12-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2016 | 11:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just got done installing my new Schroth Enduro 6 pt. belts last night (love them!), had to comment on what I found in a car that was built "professionally". The seat mount was hacked up, redrilled, holes elongated, and the seat itself torqued/twisted into place. It actually popped out like a spring after I got a couple bolts loose. Fixed it. The front harness (2 sub belts) anchor (yes, anchor, not anchors) was incorrectly placed directly under the seat hole off to the right side with BOTH sub belts attached to it. It was only attached to the seat cross member sheet metal, not even through the floor! Put two new eye bolts in the correct place, through the floor. If your car was built by this guy I would strongly recommend having it checked out by a good shop...

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-13-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2016 | 12:37 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

There are race mechanics and then there a real race mechanics. The one who installed the seat and harness was an installer who does not understand physics and structures and the head shop mechanic does not have the time to train him.
Old 04-13-2016 | 03:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
There are race mechanics and then there a real race mechanics. The one who installed the seat and harness was an installer who does not understand physics and structures and the head shop mechanic does not have the time to train him.
I'll go a bit further.. there are race car mechanics and there are idiots with wrenches. I'm no race car mechanic but I can read and KNOW what is just plain wrong. I should have known to check every tiny detail back when I asked for some sort of build sheet and was told the reason I was ignored was because the guy was "too busy and that's why he sells his cars cheap, he doesn't have time to waste"... Live and learn, just wanted to warn anyone else that has one of his "cheap" builds.
Old 04-13-2016 | 08:23 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ Gary, sadly I am not surprised by this. It takes time, money, and thoughtfulness to build a truly good and safe car. A 'deal' inevitably costs more money. I'd echo your sentiment to check everything on the build. It isn't just the build sheet but rather, as you've discovered, how much care was taken putting it together.
Old 04-13-2016 | 10:20 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about the troubles Gary. Matt is right, it's isn't what the list of parts written on a page says, it's about the time, knowledge and care that is taken when assembling a car. Anyone can put the right parts in the car, but doing it properly seems to be often missed.
Old 04-14-2016 | 10:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Sorry to hear about the troubles Gary. Matt is right, it's isn't what the list of parts written on a page says, it's about the time, knowledge and care that is taken when assembling a car. Anyone can put the right parts in the car, but doing it properly seems to be often missed.
Thanks Matt(s), the car has been gone through and brought up to the standard I consider "ready to race" vs. how it came to me. In this case it took about $12k and a lot of work to make this car what I feel is safe and ready (and we didn't touch the engine or tranny other than mounts, cables, AOS, and sump)...
Old 04-14-2016 | 10:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
There are race mechanics and then there a real race mechanics. The one who installed the seat and harness was an IDIOT who can't read simple, clear instructions and the head shop mechanic does not have the time to train him.
FTFY.. If something bad ever happened because of improperly installed safety equipment the "head shop mechanic" (or shop owner) wouldn't have to worry about having time for anything ever again...
Old 04-14-2016 | 11:55 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Hope so Scott, maybe let me chase you for a couple laps..
After a bit of thought, last time up here you were into your motor with misfire issues, no? I hope this time goes better (for both of us!)...
Glad you've got the car sorted. I didn't expect to have to change the engine out (twice) right away when I got mine but it's been solid since then.

Good memory, I had a spark plug explode and fill the cylinder with all the pieces but that was the old car and that was my 1st and only time. I haven't had this car there yet so you are welcome to follow. I just can't promise that I will be on the right line. I should go down and get on iracing for a while, I remember I need to turn left there somewhere. I'm looking forward to it though, should be a lot of fun. Now I just need to finish getting the car ready. Anybody seem my spoiler, I know it's here somewhere.
Old 04-14-2016 | 01:04 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Every car needs something. It seems the seats, belts and seat mounts are almost always screwed up. I think it is because it takes sooo much time to get them right, some shops just do a generic install and forget it. I had belts installed by a 'Professional Shop' once. Disaster!!
I had sliders installed - also at a professional shop. I told them how they would need to be fitted in order for the seat to sit low enough for my head - I have R&R-ed my seats many times, I also did several mock assemblies before sending it out. They did it the way they 'always do it'. 4" too high. They had to remove the welded mounts points and start over - pretty much what I told them before they started. Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. Mo money. They got it right.

I don't know anyone I would have install my belts. The shop that installed the sliders did a great job reinforcing the sub-straps mounting points in the floor.
Old 04-14-2016 | 01:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

i try to do as much of my own maintenance as I can, but I have to admit that every time I bring my car to a real shop they either improve upon what I did or come up with something I'd never have thought of. This is true for my safety equipment which was just gone through to ensure that I pass tech. I just didn't have it right but now it is.

Quick Reply: FS: Just Built Spec Boxster- $25k.....