Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cups and Saucers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

It was a great event, the small amount I ran. Sorry for the blag flag the last session of Cups on Wednesday. Right axle blew in 6 and I went for wild ride. Thankfully I hit nothing and parked on the outside of the 7.

New personal best of a 2:02.2. Wish I had time to dial in the new Coilovers.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI tow vehicle had been perfect for four years of towing and general spousal auto abuse until this incident. (Well, the check engine light tells me that the Adblue heater circuit is acting up. Didn't know I needed that.) At 66,000 miles, the prop shaft bearing failed. This is evidently a very common failure on Touaregs, Cayennes and, I assume, Audi Q7s as well. Other than that, it tows my car and open trailer with no strain and no issues. With the present price of diesel compared to gas, I'm not sure who comes out ahead, but the vehicle gets 24 mpg highway without trailer, 16-18 mpg with trailer but no tires on the rack, and 14.5 - 15.5 mpg with 4-8 tires up in the airstream. OTOH, my wife gets mad when I take it to go to the track, so maybe it's not such a great idea.
As to whether my car is a Cup or a GT3, the answer is both. It is a 2007 GT3 which has mostly been converted, but still retains some GT3 features, such as 5 lug wheels, H pattern shifter, street ABS, Variocam, and mass air sensor. Most of the rest is Cup. It is faster than I am but I'm learning.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:49 AM
Captain Slow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
It was a great event, the small amount I ran. Sorry for the blag flag the last session of Cups on Wednesday. Right axle blew in 6 and I went for wild ride. Thankfully I hit nothing and parked on the outside of the 7.

New personal best of a 2:02.2. Wish I had time to dial in the new Coilovers.
Wow - which car were you in? If you say the SPB in your avatar, I quit

Originally Posted by Terry L
My 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI tow vehicle had been perfect for four years of towing and general spousal auto abuse until this incident. (Well, the check engine light tells me that the Adblue heater circuit is acting up. Didn't know I needed that.) At 66,000 miles, the prop shaft bearing failed. This is evidently a very common failure on Touaregs, Cayennes and, I assume, Audi Q7s as well. Other than that, it tows my car and open trailer with no strain and no issues. With the present price of diesel compared to gas, I'm not sure who comes out ahead, but the vehicle gets 24 mpg highway without trailer, 16-18 mpg with trailer but no tires on the rack, and 14.5 - 15.5 mpg with 4-8 tires up in the airstream. OTOH, my wife gets mad when I take it to go to the track, so maybe it's not such a great idea.
As to whether my car is a Cup or a GT3, the answer is both. It is a 2007 GT3 which has mostly been converted, but still retains some GT3 features, such as 5 lug wheels, H pattern shifter, street ABS, Variocam, and mass air sensor. Most of the rest is Cup. It is faster than I am but I'm learning.
At least in my area, premium = diesel and my cayenne likes to so 15 mpg would help.
Checked a few weeks ago - some 2014 TDI leftovers still at dealers listing for 10K off sticker - very tempting
Old 05-10-2015, 07:54 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LateApexer
Wow - which car were you in? If you say the SPB in your avatar, I quit
Lol, I wish the SPB went that fast. I was in the Grey 996 GT3 with red wheels and wing tips and mirrors.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:10 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
p.s. BTW, Gary does haul *** in his Mini on street tires. Very nice driving!
Great seeing you and that beautiful car, Chung, and thanks for the nice words.....Mid-Ohio this weekend; you going? If not I'm sure I'll see you there or at the Glen at some point in the coming months. Always great to see that car at speed, for however brief a time!

Gary
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Great event all around. Fantastic weather and HCP runs a terrific event that seems to attract nice people.

Funny story for this group. My #55 car literally died going into T2. Total shut down. I coasted to the little runoff area between T2/3 and the session got black flagged (sorry). Total mystery as to what happened to the car which had been running great even though it's a new build and was my first time driving it.

After some examination back in the pits, it was discovered that a piece of clag from a passing car had hit my external cutoff stitch! Yup. Had a little tire mark on it and was in the off position!

Needless to say knowing that that is a one in a million thing to have happen I bought some lotto tickets on my way back to NYC.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Great event all around. Fantastic weather and HCP runs a terrific event that seems to attract nice people. Funny story for this group. My #55 car literally died going into T2. Total shut down. I coasted to the little runoff area between T2/3 and the session got black flagged (sorry). Total mystery as to what happened to the car which had been running great even though it's a new build and was my first time driving it. After some examination back in the pits, it was discovered that a piece of clag from a passing car had hit my external cutoff stitch! Yup. Had a little tire mark on it and was in the off position! Needless to say knowing that that is a one in a million thing to have happen I bought some lotto tickets on my way back to NYC.
Hi Andy
It was nice to see you and your new car; well done.
Love your story about the shutoff!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

There are times where I really miss having a track going Porsche. C&S is one of those times. It was always a great event with great camaraderie. Glad you guys had fun.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
After some examination back in the pits, it was discovered that a piece of clag from a passing car had hit my external cutoff stitch! Yup. Had a little tire mark on it and was in the off position!

Needless to say knowing that that is a one in a million thing to have happen I bought some lotto tickets on my way back to NYC.
That's why switches get mounted so on is inline with the car. You're not the first one to have that happen.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:55 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Great point Matt. Will flip that switch around 180 degrees.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Video now public .Sorry about that!

Quick Reply: Cups and Saucers