Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spa 6Hour WEC Tandy Crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015 | 05:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Would you think it was different if it was two GT cars entering that corner like that? (instead of a prototype and a GT)

Aren't the prototypes usually flashing their headlights to notify the slower car in front of them that they are passing?
Surely the 911 must've seen Tandy's car taking the inside line...the questions is whether he recognised it's a LMP1 or not.
if the 911 driver thought it was another GT car he probably also thought he'd be way ahead of it at apex and hence no need to leave room on the inside!?

Just looking at the video from the end of the straight and it seems like a clean pass with the 911 closing the door on the LMP1.
Maybe the perspective diffuses it and maybe it is just the ridiculous speed difference between those two cars that I don't grasp.

Look at the screenshot... they were side by side entering into the corner. Plus Tandy was approaching the 911 on the left side (inside) for a long time so he must've seen him.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2015 | 07:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

FWIW, Estre (RSR driver) was a assessed a drive-thru penalty for failure to yield to faster car. That said, Tandy was interviewed about the incident and he was pretty sheepish, admitting that he should've exercised more patience.

Tandy was third of the three 919's at the time of the incident and his primary job was to slow the Toyota LMP1 car behind him. He had a healthy gap on the Toyota so waiting a corner or two to make the pass would hardly have compromised his position.

EOD, he wasn't close to owning the corner at turn-in and thus it was an unnecessary, high-risk pass that was completely dependent on the slower car yielding.
Old 05-04-2015 | 08:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
Look at the screenshot... they were side by side entering into the corner.
No, they're not. The 911 is clearly ahead in your screenshot.

Originally Posted by Nizer
FWIW, Estre (RSR driver) was a assessed a drive-thru penalty for failure to yield to faster car.
That is ****ing idiotic.

EOD, he wasn't close to owning the corner at turn-in and thus it was an unnecessary, high-risk pass that was completely dependent on the slower car yielding.
+1
Old 05-05-2015 | 09:11 AM
Kharz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
DE 101: The driver being overtaken should stay on his line. The driver doing the overtaking is the one who is obligated to go off-line.
+1
Old 05-05-2015 | 09:20 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not completely convinced any of the Porsche FACTORY drivers have any idea that they be exercising a tad bit of caution (professional courtesy??) when they are around other Porsche's and should NOT be fighting for position with risky/low success probability moves on their OWN TEAMMATES!!! I mean, I understand being aggressive, but come on....

And its not just this year...in many races last year there was bumping and banging of the RSR's in Tudor. WTF???

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 05-05-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2015 | 09:21 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
No, they're not. The 911 is clearly ahead in your screenshot.
You are probably right...the perspective is deceiving. Plus the speed difference.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
DE 101: The driver being overtaken should stay on his line. The driver doing the overtaking is the one who is obligated to go off-line.
In DE yes but this is professional racing. The driver being overtaken needs to leave room for the passing car at minimum one car width between it and the white line. That of course is only valid if you are entering the corner side By side*
In this case I think what the guys here are saying is that this was not a proper pass but divebombing instead.

*Where I have been racing it is enough if your front wheel is overlapping the back wheel of the car you are passing, then the car being overtaken must give you clearance. (i.e. he cannot ram you out of the track). I believe it is the same rules in F1 too.
Old 05-05-2015 | 09:36 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Personally, I think the fault is shared here: the RSR should have seen the 919 coming and given room (watch the rear facing camera at the end of that video on post 1...he should have clearly seen him) and it SEEMED like he was leaving the door open when he slammed it shut.
The 919 should have backed off a bit and been ready for the door to close, keeping a safety margin just in case. As was noted, he was not there to win, just provide defense.

Poor situational awareness on both drivers...
Old 05-05-2015 | 09:38 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
Personally, I think the fault is shared here: the RSR should have seen the 919 coming and given room (watch the rear facing camera at the end of that video on post 1...he should have clearly seen him) and it SEEMED like he was leaving the door open when he slammed it shut.
The 919 should have backed off a bit and been ready for the door to close, keeping a safety margin just in case. As was noted, he was not there to win, just provide defense.

Well said! I agree completely!
Old 05-05-2015 | 10:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Absolutely agree.
Old 05-06-2015 | 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

+1.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-06-2015 | 09:53 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

There was no door shutting or leaving the door open or seeming the RSR was doing anything. The RSR was on the normal line that everyone in front of him was. Turn in the same etc. The prototype didn't make the 'move to the corner' until after the RSR was solidly on the brakes.

I'm sorry but this was all Tandy. 6 hr race, you don't push that pass.
Old 05-06-2015 | 12:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
There was no door shutting or leaving the door open or seeming the RSR was doing anything. The RSR was on the normal line that everyone in front of him was. Turn in the same etc. The prototype didn't make the 'move to the corner' until after the RSR was solidly on the brakes.

I'm sorry but this was all Tandy. 6 hr race, you don't push that pass.
Yep...
Old 05-07-2015 | 05:07 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I wonder if outrunning his F1 teamate (Hulkenberg) was weighing heavy on Tandy's mind. Tandy managed to turn faster laps than than him but was about 0.05s slower than the fastest Porsche LMP1 time by Hartley. Also of note is Estre, the penalized driver of the 911 involved in the crash, clocked the highest top speed of any of the GTE Pro cars.
Old 05-08-2015 | 04:11 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
FWIW, Estre (RSR driver) was a assessed a drive-thru penalty for failure to yield to faster car.
Technically it was for ignoring blue flags.
Old 06-19-2015 | 04:01 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting this thread...what sayeth we now since he has won LeMans ?

Quick Reply: Spa 6Hour WEC Tandy Crash