Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Peter,

Roll your eyes and stick out your tongue all you want....

My point wasn't comparing the Stohr WF1 to my car's lap time. I have a relatively slow and slightly castrated by spec rules GT car. The point was that a 1:27 for the full course is wicked fast....and I couldn't find a Stohr WF1 time that fast.
I originally put down ten seconds, then Joe put down a time that he cited and I changed it. There is no question 1:40 is a damned good time for your car, but it's like comparing apples with oranges. That's all...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter,

Roll your eyes and stick out your tongue all you want....

My point wasn't comparing the Stohr WF1 to my car's lap time. I have a relatively slow and slightly castrated by spec rules GT car. The point was that a 1:27 for the full course is wicked fast....and I couldn't find a Stohr WF1 time that fast.
Go look up track records for SFR SCCA. DSR @ 1:27 is right there. (And CSR is 1:30.) The reclassification of the cars into the current P1/P2 classes show 1:35. A circa 2012 Radical SR3 1.5L in the Radical Cup series was around 1:37. Best I ever did there with my first gen 1.3L is is about 1:41.

And for the pro stuff, my cousin's son (who won the two opening round races at St. Pete weekend before last) had the pole in their race 2 at Sears last fall in PFM just under 1:33.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

This is all great info guys, thanks, I appreciate the comments and advice.

Lots of options
Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Considering something like this. I'm interest in learning about running costs, maintenance experiences, reliability, and overall fun of ownership and driving. I've not looking for something brutal fast, looking for more of a racecar feeling and experience with high downforce. Wolf is local to me here in Austin, but they look like potentially out of business. Please PM me if you prefer. Cheers
I purchased my 2010 Radical SR3 about a year and a half ago and it is one of the best decisions I ever made. I only use the car for track days and I do most of the maintenance myself. There has been a lot to learn adapting to this car, both in driving and in maintenance. Let me start with the driving.... It is a blast to drive!!! After driving this car for a while my interest in street based cars has significantly diminished. Learning to leverage the benefits of Aero has been a lot of fun. The car weighs about 1300 lbs, has ~1700 lbs of downforce, corners at 2.5G's, Brakes at 2G's, and does 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds. I have to say that I really like the paddle shift capabilities.

As far as maintenance goes the car has been very reliable. Basically fluids and general maintenance. I only had to bring it to the shop once and it turned out to be a bad spark plug and wires. I have a very good tool set, but it took a while to get the basic tools/equipment required to operate the car. The first challenge was getting a car with about 2" of clearance into the trailer. I use a long set of RaceRamps and a winch and I can easily load and unload the car by my self. The next challenge was jacking up a car with such low ground clearance. My car has air jacks so I had to get a nitrogen bottle, regulator, custom hoses, etc.. The next challenge was getting the wheels torqued. Standard torque wrenches don't torque to the required 240 ft/lbs. Only really expensive and big torque wrenches do (about 4 feet long and weigh almost 20 lbs). The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.

In short I would have to say that I highly recommend the Radical.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to help,
Charley

Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

great looking car
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas RS
great looking car
Thank you
Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by race911
Go look up track records for SFR SCCA. DSR @ 1:27 is right there.
Ok. Back to thirteen seconds, it is!

Unreal for a 1-liter (DSR regulation engine size) car...

Surprised about the PFM time differential off that, though.

PFM's are slightly quicker than top Atlantics here at VIR (1:44 PFM vs high 1:45 FA) and the DSR record is 1:47 flat, IIRC. This is for the 3.27-mile, Full Course.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ok. Back to thirteen seconds, it is!

Unreal for a 1-liter (DSR regulation engine size) car...

Surprised about the PFM time differential off that, though.

PFM's are slightly quicker than top Atlantics here at VIR (1:44 PFM vs high 1:45 FA) and the DSR record is 1:47 flat, IIRC. This is for the 3.27-mile, Full Course.
I am pretty sure that 1:27 time is not the full course. It is the only time listed under a 1:30 for DSR. I suspect it is the course as shown in the video you posted.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I am pretty sure that 1:27 time is not the full course. It is the only time listed under a 1:30 for DSR. I suspect it is the course as shown in the video you posted.
That would explain a lot...
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
I purchased my 2010 Radical SR3 about a year and a half ago and it is one of the best decisions I ever made. I only use the car for track days and I do most of the maintenance myself. There has been a lot to learn adapting to this car, both in driving and in maintenance. Let me start with the driving.... It is a blast to drive!!! After driving this car for a while my interest in street based cars has significantly diminished. Learning to leverage the benefits of Aero has been a lot of fun. The car weighs about 1300 lbs, has ~1700 lbs of downforce, corners at 2.5G's, Brakes at 2G's, and does 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds. I have to say that I really like the paddle shift capabilities.

As far as maintenance goes the car has been very reliable. Basically fluids and general maintenance. I only had to bring it to the shop once and it turned out to be a bad spark plug and wires. I have a very good tool set, but it took a while to get the basic tools/equipment required to operate the car. The first challenge was getting a car with about 2" of clearance into the trailer. I use a long set of RaceRamps and a winch and I can easily load and unload the car by my self. The next challenge was jacking up a car with such low ground clearance. My car has air jacks so I had to get a nitrogen bottle, regulator, custom hoses, etc.. The next challenge was getting the wheels torqued. Standard torque wrenches don't torque to the required 240 ft/lbs. Only really expensive and big torque wrenches do (about 4 feet long and weigh almost 20 lbs). The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.

In short I would have to say that I highly recommend the Radical.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to help,
Charley

Thanks Charley, that's a beautiful car! How long before you will need to refresh the engine/transmission?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Charley, that's a beautiful car! How long before you will need to refresh the engine/transmission?
I did some research on these before buying my GT3 it appears it depends on your use (racing or casual track) and also if the engine is a 1.3 or 1.5. 1.3 runs a long time on an engine refresh 80-100 hrs, 1.5 is 30-50 hours depending on use. IIRC engine and trans refresh is 4000-8000 depending on which engine and who does it.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I did some research on these before buying my GT3 it appears it depends on your use (racing or casual track) and also if the engine is a 1.3 or 1.5. 1.3 runs a long time on an engine refresh 80-100 hrs, 1.5 is 30-50 hours depending on use. IIRC engine and trans refresh is 4000-8000 depending on which engine and who does it.

Thanks.

I have the 1.5L and Radical recommends overhauling the engine every 40 hours if you are racing and every ~60+ hours if you are using it for track days. I am using mine just for track days but because the engine had 13 hours on it when I purchased the car and because I don't know how abused the car was in it's past life I plan to overhaul the engine at 40 hours (which is two track days away).

I can't recommend these cars enough. The biggest problem with the car is that nearly everyone else at the track days are now too slow

Charley
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That would explain a lot...
However: http://www.mylaps.com/en/classificat...657?perClass=1 Two 1:27s and a 1:30 among the major players.

Sanction says it's the 2.52 mile course, and I've never known an SCCA Regional or National (Rational, in the case of this weekend) to run an alternate config, save for torrential rains creating rivers up on the hill or major construction.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Now I'm confused. The Richardson video linked earlier is definitely using a short T11, and he ends up with a best lap of 1:25.799, finishing first in class/second OA behind Mr. Go Pro Nick Woodman.

http://www.mylaps.com/en/classificat...111?perClass=1

And that sanction shows a 2.52 mile course.

I went back and looked at some backmarker competition over several events, and their times seem consistent in the 1:34-5 range. So, go figure..........
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Spring mountain is selling a 2009 SR3 for $35K. It doesn't have paddle shifters, but that is the lowest I have seen this body style selling for.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.../used-radicals

Last edited by CharleyH; 04-09-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?