Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts
Default Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?

Considering something like this. I'm interest in learning about running costs, maintenance experiences, reliability, and overall fun of ownership and driving. I've not looking for something brutal fast, looking for more of a racecar feeling and experience with high downforce. Wolf is local to me here in Austin, but they look like potentially out of business. Please PM me if you prefer. Cheers
Old 04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to know this as well...
Old 04-04-2015, 07:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Sports racers are AWESOME!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sports racers are AWESOME!
Everyone should experience one. Never want to go back to a production car after a sports racer or formula car. But sometimes you do.

My SR3 has been "apart for maintenance" for 4 years now. Oh well. It's good enough for us mere amateurs to get a feel. Mine is (was?) reliable to the point of my only failures being an ignition control when new, and an axle breaking while braking over a bumpy off line Buttonwillow. Chassis probably has 110-120 hours on it before I parked it. Fresh tires are always nice. Other consumables weren't bank breakers.

Probably best to rent some time in one. I fancied that I was something special in my 20's back in the mid-'80s, so I got to work on and dabble with Formula Ford and even some Atlantics. So my comfort level, such as it is, was already there.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 AM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only you knew someone near you who had one.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:07 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Sports racers/prototypes definitely take it up a notch.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I do not have first hand experience but I see a ton of Radicals at MMC. They are VERY quick cars even at the entry level. I get the sense that they require a decent amount of upkeep and I've seen them either not run or get towed a fair amount. Again, I do not own one nor do I know how well the ones I see are maintained.

If you don't need fenders, I vote heavily for Formula Mazda. Very quick and make you feel like an F1 driver. Mine has done very well on the reliability side but you do need to maintain the gear box once a year if you drive a lot (which I do, like a gerbil on a wheel). Cars like Peter Krause's S2000 are also on the short list and I could see getting one to replace Irene's Atom some day. The FM and S2000 are more primitive versus a Radical in terms of suspension and gearbox (Radicals have rev matching pneumatic whereas others have dog box).

A guy I know found his basically unused fairly new SR3 at a Lambo dealer where the car was sent as part of a trade. He bought it for 30K which is ridiculously low. Maybe you can find a similar situation!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Maciej
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpaton
If only you knew someone near you who had one.
I wonder.....
Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Almost all race cars similar to a Radical take about the same maintenance. In my experience, the budget for hourly running costs is about the same too. Whether you are talking about a Radical, S2000, FC, FM, etc, they cost about the same when having someone else support them. FA are more than the others to run.

As far as fun - a Radical is great. Racing? They aren't really competitive in SCCA versus the other P1 and P2 cars, most of which are part homebrew and heavily developed.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two Radicals currently (2004 and 2007) ...The Radicals area an absolute blast...very fast and yet quite easy to drive. To be clear - it's a race car and has a dramatically different feel than a converted street car. I love it but I've had several friends drive my car & two of them much prefer their Cayman/911-based race cars. I find them both easy to maintain and tune to optimize track handling & performance. It takes only 2-3minutes to have both the front & rear body sections off & everything is "right in front of you" - easy to work on and they're not overly complicated cars.
Their handling is predictable and there are obvious indicators when you get close to the edge. Both mechanical grip & aero can be tuned extensively which is a fun process. You indicated you're looking for high downforce...given the variety of options on the market today, I'd call the Radical medium/high...there are measurably higher downforce cars available (ie. Wolf, Stohr/West, Noble) if you're looking for highest downforce. I
Parts are reasonably priced (especially compared to P cars) and consumables like rotors & pads seem to last forever. Some items are available in the open retail market & others only from Radical. I've not yet encountered any parts availability issues.
Tires last quite long as well. I'd attribute this mainly to the lightness of the car. I've run Dunlop & 2 different Hoosier compounds - the softer Hoosier has the highest grip and lowest life in regards to performance...the Dunlop is in the middle and the harder Hoosier takes more laps to get to optimal grip & lasts much longer (both in regards to races/track sessions and number of heat cycles).
Engines will last somewhere between 40-80 hours. My boys & I put 47 & 68 hours on the two cars last year. We refreshed the engines this winter (I did the 1300 myself for about $2200 in parts) and I had the 1500 done for me and it cost about $6200.
I'm happy to answer any questions...I can guarantee you, you'll have a huge smile on your face after driving a Radical on track.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll agree with all accounts here (2002 SR3). I've driven my SR3 back-to-back with my 02' 996TT X50 (Motons, GT3 suspension bits, GT2 clutch, Pagids, Girodiscs, UMW flash, etc). The Rad made the TT feel "soft", only car to ever do so.
BTW, just sold mine to my cousin, for $25K, with a LONG list of spares.
Family, what can you do?
Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a slightly used Caterham SP300R. Really amazing race car. I've driven one full test day and working myself up to its grip limits. And that was on hard compound tires. So much faster than GT based cars. The Formula Mazdas are much faster still. The mechanicals look straightforward to maintain and like Radicals etc, are so easily accessible. Mechanicals are readily available from suppliers. Lots of development potential in this car.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

A couple folks have recommended the SP300 over a wolf due to the lack of support and parts in the US for wolf.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
I just bought a slightly used Caterham SP300R. Really amazing race car. I've driven one full test day and working myself up to its grip limits. And that was on hard compound tires. So much faster than GT based cars. The Formula Mazdas are much faster still. The mechanicals look straightforward to maintain and like Radicals etc, are so easily accessible. Mechanicals are readily available from suppliers. Lots of development potential in this car.
What kind of times does that thing turn at Sears Point?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?