Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower gearing for 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Moot point guys. Albins no longer makes the close ratios gears. They only make the ring and pinion, which does not close the gaps. No point in debating an option that does not exist for the OP.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Moot point guys. Albins no longer makes the close ratios gears. They only make the ring and pinion, which does not close the gaps. No point in debating an option that does not exist for the OP.
so, if you are just changing the ring and pinion, you are taking a chance you will make things worse. depends on the track car and driver... I guess this is one of the options.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
John,
Albins no longer makes the short ratio 996 gears you list. They only currently manufacture the 4.00 ring and pinion.
Hey Matt, belated Happy B-Day....

I know Alpin's hasn't made them in years though recently someone told me Calif. Motorsports claimed the were making them again. Regardless I've ended up with 2 of their short geared boxes so I have a spare when needed. Funny that with my 2 and Ritter's car now in Speed Gallery's stable we have 3 of them out maybe 6 that I know exist. Two others are in So Cal too....

JRG
Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

I personally probably sold a dozen sets over the years. There are a number of them out there. It Chris Fisher/Retrosport wants to make a run of them I'm sure Albins will take their money. The last set I know of that was made special ordered by Autometrics. If memory serves it took them almost a year to get them. I just don't want to give someone false hope. I've got no axe to grind. I've never supported that gearbox and never will, so am not pushing my own business with my comments.

And thanks for the birthday wish.

Ps. There is no "p" in Albins.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I got my gears from Autometrics after contacting Albins who were vague about their future production.

During the wait for the gears, I believe the Autometrics' client sold the car. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: Lower gearing for 996