Sponsored by:

Used transponders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:37 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Used transponders?

I see that not too many transponders show up for sale used. Is that because they tend to be flaky/fragile? Am I crazy to even consider looking for a used one? Thanks for any opinions on this.

Scott
Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's because they go really fast. Used transponders sell almost immediately.

You're best bet is to post a Wanted ad. That's probably going to get you results.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've bought and sold a few. It's a monopoly and the prices have drastically increased in the past few years, which may be why used ones get snatched up quick. The newer ones require an annual service fee just to look at your results on MyLaps. The website isn't clear on whether or not your transponder will even function at the track after the subscription expires. I wouldn't be too worried about buying used, especially a hardwired unit. They changed the rules a while back so if you want to use MyLaps on a transponder that has been registered already you have to pay a $42 transfer fee. An older registered transponder will work fine at the track but if you like to analyze your results after the races online it may be an issue.

New transponders are a total f*cking rip-off. You can buy a complete data system with GPS timing, accelerometers, and a very robust software package (like the AIM SOLO) for hundreds of dollars LESS than a stupid transponder with a 10 year subscription. I hope some newer technology replaces the traditional transponder, or some competition arrives.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I've bought and sold a few. It's a monopoly and the prices have drastically increased in the past few years, which may be why used ones get snatched up quick. The newer ones require an annual service fee just to look at your results on MyLaps. The website isn't clear on whether or not your transponder will even function at the track after the subscription expires. I wouldn't be too worried about buying used, especially a hardwired unit. They changed the rules a while back so if you want to use MyLaps on a transponder that has been registered already you have to pay a $42 transfer fee. An older registered transponder will work fine at the track but if you like to analyze your results after the races online it may be an issue.

New transponders are a total f*cking rip-off. You can buy a complete data system with GPS timing, accelerometers, and a very robust software package (like the AIM SOLO) for hundreds of dollars LESS than a stupid transponder with a 10 year subscription. I hope some newer technology replaces the traditional transponder, or some competition arrives.
My car came with a hardwired transponder and I just had to pay the fee to change it over to my name.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend gave me a battery operated transponder. I literally sent it to Australia to get the battery replaced. That being said the price was reasonable and the guy in Australia was extremely professional. I paid the $42 transfer fee too.

Didn't realize at the time what a gift my friend gave me, but for less than $150, I had a $500 transponder.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for the input.

Gotta love that you can't even replace the battery yourself on one of these thtings!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:55 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Actually more questions. Does the one that PCA CR sells for $435 include a subscription (and for how long), or is it the lifetime subscription version? And hard-wired or battery?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I understand hard wired transponders don't last forever, I has a hard wired one cycle out after 7yrs, and had receipt from PO. Put the new one on a switch. What a Monopoly!!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine come on with the ignition. It has been in my last 5 race cars. I carry it from car to car. When I quit racing I will probably either sell it with that race car or mount it in a frame on the wall.

Thanks

Ed

Quick Reply: Used transponders?