Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VISION MOTORSPORTS: Engine Builders That Stand Behind Their Work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM
cmargosi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VISION MOTORSPORTS: Engine Builders That Stand Behind Their Work.

For those of you who thought race engine builders that stand behind their work didn't exist, read this tread about Dwain and Roland and Vision Motorsports. From my experience Dwain is one of the best, most stand up guys in the business based on working with him.

In 2012, I built a full 2007 Cayman S race car. In the process, Dwain at Vision Motorsports built my existing motor to a 3.8L full race build. I ran the car for 60 hours without incident, except that the motor was consuming oil. The motor always ran well, made good power and performed pretty much flawlessly through two seasons (both seasons had me placing 3rd overall in points in my racing series). However, by the end of last year's racing season, we found that car was burning almost a quart an hour. My local shop, Midwest Eurosport and Dwain both agreed something was afoot. Midwest opened the motor to take a look. Below is what we found!

Of course, this spells terrible news for a race car owner. Fortunately, the motor never exploded on track or in a race.

I immediately called Dwain and Roland and sent them these pics. To my surprise, Dwain says, "Send me the motor. We messed up and we will take care of it." Dwain came to the same conclusion as George, the motor had clearance issues between the Nickasil lined block and the rings and was not correct from the beginning. Now, we all know there are no warranties in racing, but Dwain did something that's rare in today's world. He stood behind the product. He admitted the mistake, and offered me a credit of 40% toward a new motor race motor from Vision. The 40% came from the fact that his motors should last about 100 hours and I only got 60 from this one.

My new motor (with a larger displacement :-)) ships from California today. I wanted to post this story as a testament to the quality of people and work that Vision does. If anyone is thinking about using them for a motor build, I would not hesitate. Thanks again to Dwain, Roland the the team.

Charley
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Dwain and Roland are both great guys. Glad it was worked out.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dwain built two motors for me. They are both performing brilliantly. I highly recommend him and his shop.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You are working with not 1, but 2 top notch shops. Glad they both figured it out and they took care of you.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:02 PM
cmargosi
Advanced

Default Eurosport Too

I agree with the last post. I don't want to take anything away from Midwest Eurosport here. George helped diagnose the problem and he is an amazing guy with a great technical skills. He helped make the most of the 3.8L potential and I can't wait until George get his hands on the new motor!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice note Charley. I saw your engine sitting waiting to be shipped. It should be a monster.

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

WoW!!! It's almost unbelievable. Great service indeed.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Other shops should take note.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 PM
RaceDevelopments
Advanced

Wish more shops would stand behind their work - short term cash flow suffers, but in the long term, you generally receive all the business you can handle when word gets out how honest you are.

Quick Reply: VISION MOTORSPORTS: Engine Builders That Stand Behind Their Work.