Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best seats for max headroom (993)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 AM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default best seats for max headroom (993)?

After searching for over an hour, I'm totally confused. I have the power standard seats and will be replacing with a set to hopefully give me enough headroom for a helmet. Don't want fixed or buckets, need recliners. I'm 6-4 & long torso. Looking at Recaros & Sparcos but no clue on which would sit/mount the lowest.
Suggestions for a good track/street set?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

As long as you're going with reclinable seats with bottom mounting to sliders, you're not going to improve headroom much over the stock seats. Some people do remove some of the foam is the seat cushion to lower the seating position, and the motors of the electric seats do take up some room, so you can get a little extra room from manual seats, but not much. In order to get the seat low, you really need side mounts. If you're wearing a helmet, I presume you're going to track the car. That brings up the whole issue of restraints, whether 6 pt belts are needed, whether a harness bar is enough or you need a roll bar or cage. There have been many discussions here about this. I have a 993 that I just can't fit in with helmet, never mind it's too nice to track. So I got an 87 911 no sunroof car with fixed back seats and had plenty of headroom. I'm 6'"8. It can be done, but it's hard d if you want to keep the car "stock". The way 993 prices are going these days, maybe you're better off with a different track car 😃

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile need recliners?

Recliners will limit your options. EVO II works great...if you have a cage in the car this may limit your options. I have a Cobra seat, it works....I am 6'2" with a long torso. For the helmet headroom, I remove the bottom seat cushion.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I cant give you any recommendation on seats, but will say I am 6'4 with long torso also. To get this right I had to lower my seating position over 4 inches and remove the sunroof structure gaining 1.5inches.

Bottom line, You just aren't going to get there with seat alone, even if you went to full race shells.

You may look first at re-engineering the seat mounts. The stock seats sit on towers to clear the ECU. If you are willing to relocate the ECU, you can remove the towers, add appropriate support bracing and reinstall the stock seat gaining 2-3 inches.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'-3" and had to affix my Gt3 seat to the floor years ago (when I tracked my 993). You'll need BK seat brackets (or similar) and fab rails to mount to. I build risers on the up front mounting points to "rake" the seat back so I fit right down in the pocket of the seat. Forget anything on sliders, as Jeff said, you'll be lucky to get away with not removing sunroof panels to clear with a helmet.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: best seats for max headroom (993)?