Sponsored by:

New NT-01s as rain tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I found braking zone into 20 at COTA very slick in the wet but everything else was same. My ABS would go crazy, so had to brake off line. Traction was really great everywhere else considering the conditions.

I've run NT01 in wet but not raining conditions, they were OK, but MPSS felt better.
This is my setup too. I switch to MPSS when wet. Just the added confidence.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Even Nitto doesn't give it a good rating in the rain. There is some "tread" but no sipping. So if it rains while you are there only drive fast where there is no air wall.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs down

Whelp, I won't do that again. I started with a brand new set. Drove 3 dry sessions on them as it was threatening rain all day and by the forth session the sky opened up. I also had fogging problems which caused me not to see the river flowing under the bridge where my thinking went from "this is okay" to "maybe not". By the time I got to T19 and couldn't see, it went to "this is stupid, I'm getting off this ride":

On a wet track, they are slippery, but arguably manageable. However, just about any standing water is enough to overwhelm them. The front went to zero grip very abruptly when I went under the bridge in the video above. My student's cars with street tires all had a lot more grip.

I still drove them all day in the wet Saturday, as the car is new to me, and the wet makes a good car control school. Even being careful I still managed to spin it once, with my student in the car. Even he commented about how slippery the tires felt.

They were much better in the dry on Sunday and I managed to knock several seconds off my personal best from last year.

-Mike

Quick Reply: New NT-01s as rain tires?