Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:38 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
Other that what have already been covered with seams... something that will make it easier to wear glasses. I saw a guy at a race that had a balaclava that looked like it had little pockets / area for the ears. Looked like it would have been great for those that wear prescription glasses and have a tight fitting helmet like Stilio. I wish I had asked where he got it from... I would purchase a few of them if you could have a differentiator such as that.
Hmm.. that's interesting. Between drivers with eye glasses and those that wear sunglasses..maybe a good bit of us. Thanks for the input!!

This thread is great! Any other areas of concern?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

More stretchier that retain original shape.

The best balaclavas that I have are the ones that stretch the most but don't stretch out.

Not too thick. CarbonX went that route and lots of people couldn't fit them with their helmets after having a thinner nomex before.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
More stretchier that retain original shape.

The best balaclavas that I have are the ones that stretch the most but don't stretch out.

Not too thick. CarbonX went that route and lots of people couldn't fit them with their helmets after having a thinner nomex before.
Do you know the blend of material on the ones that hold up the best?

Yeah, I had a lot of complaints on them being too thick, especially with Stilo helmets. I even talked with a couple of pros that stop wearing one altogether for the same reason. (not a good idea)

Thanks! Great info!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Ahh..makes sense on the single button hole. Otherwise, you are trying to thread the wire all the way to the bottom of the balaclava and out of the suit. I've been using integrated headphones in the Stilo, so I didn't pick up on that earlier. Thanks!

Why do you think the Sparco hood is better around the forehead?...does the fabric stretch better or is it just a tighter fit?
I think the Sparco was just a little smaller. I have one of the soft-touch and a Carmyth. The Carmyth is less stretchy than the other but still fits okay. A little too much bulk around the neck though on both. These are some of the problems with "one size fits all" garments. For reference wear a Med helmet and have a 15-15.5 neck.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default stand21 lid lifter

We just received our first batch of the new stand21 lid lifters. They are new so we have not received any feedback on them yet.

http://http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2755.htm

This is much better than the eject system that can break or expires. Plus emergency personnel need a special pump to operate the eject

The stand21 lid lifter requires no tools and is very simple to use

I think if you could incorporate some type of helmet removal along with something to accommodate eyeglasses, it would be a win-win for all

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 03-02-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Yep, it is. Looks pretty good and it would cover any holes on the side. But, I would really want to hear from anyone that has actually tried this one out for comfort. There is a fine line with what drivers will wear when it comes to comfort, even if it's more safe. I like the concept of it, but it seems it would create another layer on the sides and necessitate a thicker layer where attaches. Most people that I've spoken with want thinner/breathable and better fit. Thoughts on this guys? Thanks Matt!
I have one. I can't wear it with my helmet as it makes the front of the helmet way too tight. I'm happy to mail it to you if you want to check it out.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
We just received our first batch of the new stand21 lid lifters. They are new so we have not received any feedback on them yet.
Funny, My niece made a headsock like that for me over 3 years ago. It is an obvious innovation and no doctor helped me design it.

IMO headsocks fit fine if you buy your helmet with your headsock on. The problem sounds like here people bought shoes then decided to wear socks. Nothing is going to make those shoes more comfortable. You got to put your socks on then try on the shoes if you want a great fit.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance

http://http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2755.htm

This is much better than the eject system that can break or expires. Plus emergency personnel need a special pump to operate the eject

The stand21 lid lifter requires no tools and is very simple to use

I think if you could incorporate some type of helmet removal along with something to accommodate eyeglasses, it would be a win-win for all
I have seen the stand21 lid lifters at a safety session at MSX. The speaker asked me to help with a demo. It works really simple and really well. Just pull the two loops horizontally and the helmet pops up easily. It does not exert any pulling force on the neck which could be a life saver after an accident.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:14 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts

I wear prescription sunglasses. It is a little difficult getting the arms to slip in past the balaclava with my stilo helmet but doable. I pull down the opening primarily so I can use the drink bottle. Haven't had an issue with seams but none on top seems like a good idea.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

ive tried a number. my favorite are the new alpinestars. for me, i like them super thin and there is something with that alpinestars material that makes it whispy thin, almost feels like it wouldnt be compliant, fire proof, but it is.
then i would make sure there is a hole in the mouth area for the earbud 1/8" plug to come through head out to the plug in on the helmet. i might even put a small flap over that earbud exit hold so once you push the plug through, some material lays down on top of it and somewhat covers that hole.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downhill ski often... for some reason only when it seems to be really cold. I wear a helmet when I ski, because I often do things that are not smart. I use a balaclava for skiing that has a very thin head portion, and a much thicker neck portion.

I bring this up because I believe in race cars that the balaclava part that is covered by the helmet does NOT need to be as thick as the places that are not covered by the helmet. Specifically, the area around the largest circumference of the head, and the top of the head... do we really need extra layers if it is already covered in a helmet?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The sunglasses/eyeglass issue is for me the biggest one. I hate wearing the damn things because of how difficult it is to get my prescription sunglasses on.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 213 Posts

OT- wouldn't mind the plastic sun visor to be 1/4 inch thick. Existing one's are flimsy. Mike
Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you know the blend of material on the ones that hold up the best?

Yeah, I had a lot of complaints on them being too thick, especially with Stilo helmets. I even talked with a couple of pros that stop wearing one altogether for the same reason. (not a good idea)

Thanks! Great info!
Unknown brand from long ago sadly. No labels left on it.

The new alpine stars one is very similar to it.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 152 Posts

No seem across the top of the head. Single eye port. Provision for ear buds would be nice. I pull my eye opening down off my nose but leave my mouth covered.

I still wear the same basic OMP single layer, single eye port balaclava I've had for 8 years. I've never had issues with comfort when using it. something more form fitting would be nice but I don't think it would be cost effective since we all have different shaped heads.

Quick Reply: Design the Best Balaclava