Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015 | 12:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by MikeJim
The timing of this thread couldn't be better/worse for me. I'm having arthroscopic knee surgery on Monday. Recovery is 6 weeks. Then, in July, a second surgery on the left shoulder for a clear tear in the rotator cuff. The orthopedic surgeon says 100% of his cuff surgeries are done arthroscopically (University of Florida). He said recovery is generally "10% per month."

"You decide when you want to start driving again," he told me. "But if you start too soon and screw it up, you'll be back here for more surgery." He recommended 6-7 months after surgery before getting back in the car but admitted he didn't know a lot about my "hobby."
Find the best physical therapist you can. Ask your doc and few other shoulder docs who they send people to.

Build the relationship with the PT. Talk to them about what your goals are and what you hope to accomplish. They are much better at working through this stuff than most surgeons. They are the ones who see you much more often and are much more focused on the actual regaining of strength and skills.
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:31 AM
captdownshift
Instructor

I had my labrum partially taken care of Monday and am just back into the office today, painful drive in. I had a cyst on the head of the humorous biopsied while in there, got the results back yesterday afternoon on the cyst and I'll be going back in for more surgery next week. Thankfully, based on the bloodwork post surgery treatment (outside of PT of course) should be minimal.

Quick Reply: shoulder surgery