Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shoulder surgery

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015 | 03:03 PM
rluciano
Instructor

I guess every case is different. I had surgery on a Friday and was out of the sling and in PT by Tuesday. Full strength was probably 6 months away. But my doctor said spending too much time in a sling would cause adhesions and delay recovery.
Old 01-23-2015 | 03:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ In general, minimal time in a sling is "better" in terms of avoiding adhesive capsulitis aka frozen shoulder.

Pain, range of motion, tissue healing, rehab progress, and return to full function are highly individual experiences.

In addition, every cuff tear is different (partial thickness, full thickness, location, extent, and direction of tear). And... repair techniques are different in terms of arthroscopic vs. mini-open, in addition to sewing and fixation approaches. All of the aforementioned factors will affect post-op timelines re. protected movement and rehab.

So, per usual, advice for the individual is difficult unless in the OR and fixing your tear

Having said all of the above, IN GENERAL, a 3 month guesstimate for return to normal function (not extricating yourself from a burning car) is a good target.

Good luck, listen to your surgeon and PT, and don't f*ck it up.
Old 01-23-2015 | 04:00 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

i won't go into my extensive (and current, surgery dec 17) experience with this subject……..other than to say, PT is the key. do what the man says, and work hard at it. that is the speediest way. no shortcuts. as mentioned, there is a baskin-robbins of types of injuries and patients. each of my 3 have been different in type and time. you'll have to decide whether that event is worth a potential redo on the table.
Old 01-23-2015 | 05:22 PM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkk62
I'll have my buddy chime in. I must say though he is s bit of a tough guy. Against med advice he taught spin class in a sling 5 days post op so he's not the norm. His orthopod is also rennlist member and maybe he could chime in too although I'm sure no definitive med advice can be given on forum. Lol

Mk
I'm Mikes (Mk) buddy - I had an extensive tear of the supraspinatus as well as the bicep tendon. (7 anchors and 1 screw) I was driving my Cayman (M6) in three weeks and on the track in 8 weeks. No problem here.

EDIT - Just reading some of the other posts, I too kept my sling time to a minimum. I was back at my desk using my keyboard and mouse the day after surgery, got rid of the rigid brace in three weeks and out of the sling 100% in 6 weeks.
Old 01-23-2015 | 10:03 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

I couldn't put on a shirt or jacket without my wife helping. After hearing what the recovery would be I eletcted to try a non-typical approach using a very well known sports chiro/therapist in Atlanta. Happy to say I had no trouble driving & was back to playing golf in less than six months. I'm still pain free with full range of motion two years later. My family doc, who originally referred me to the ortho who wanted to cut can't believe the results. Do the research before committing to the traditional approach. There are alternatives....
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:27 AM
FLM911
Racer

Wow, didnt realise so many of us have shoulder surgery in the future to look forward to! Should have a new rennlist health forum!
Old 01-24-2015 | 11:13 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

I have a 100% tear and separation of the supraspinatus muscle where it attaches to the tendon. So I think surgery is the only option for me. Thanks for the mention of the safety aspect as I hadn't thought about that at this point.
Old 01-25-2015 | 04:26 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Every tear and every patient is different. I keep my patients (mini open technique) in a sling for 1 week, then PT for 6-8 weeks. Good luck with your surgery.
Old 01-25-2015 | 09:38 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Hell no! I couldn't put my own socks on for a couple of months..
Old 01-25-2015 | 09:56 PM
jshep
Intermediate

Default My Shoulder

I had dislocated my shoulder in a mountain biking accident. Ignored it for years, and as a result, my arm kept coming out of it socket, at in opportune times, under a car changing the oil, . I could dislocate my arm by pulling in the wrench the wrong way, It was difficult to get out from under the car then; sleeping on it the wrong way, i'd wake up and have to get my arm back in its socket.
I needed a "latarjet" procedure,which I had performed. It was transformative - the key is to get a great doctor and follow the PT advice.
It took me 9 months to get back to normal, with a little lower over head press strength, but never an issue or pain again. Range of motion restored (which surprised my doctor) with no concern about another dislocation.
Old 01-25-2015 | 10:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brother had it full six months to rehab it. Good luck. Don't rush it
Old 01-26-2015 | 12:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I had a complete tear on right shoulder from a mountain biking accident. Recovery was 6 months to full strength, and I was driving after about 4 - but with pain - and in a DCT car (paddles). Buy one of those portable compression coolers - that would have helped to speed my recovery - like this: http://www.gameready.com/

As others mentioned, PT is critical to a proper recovery. I skimped on at-home stretching and made a mess that was extremely painful to un-do.

It is stronger than my left shoulder at this point, so there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Good luck man!
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:42 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I had a complete tear on right shoulder from a mountain biking accident. Recovery was 6 months to full strength, and I was driving after about 4 - but with pain - and in a DCT car (paddles). Buy one of those portable compression coolers - that would have helped to speed my recovery - like this: http://www.gameready.com/

As others mentioned, PT is critical to a proper recovery. I skimped on at-home stretching and made a mess that was extremely painful to un-do.

It is stronger than my left shoulder at this point, so there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Good luck man!

that don't look cheap…….
Old 01-26-2015 | 06:44 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the encouraging words as well as setting reasonable expectations.
Old 02-11-2015 | 11:15 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

I just had the surgery this morning. I am still under the nerve block. Tomorrow will no doubt be different. PT is coming and hoping for racing in '15! Only question is when.

Quick Reply: shoulder surgery