Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting Habits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

More than a few engines have been blown over the years from the overrevs on a 5-2 downshift.

Every year at Daytona one or two guys rip teeth off 2nd going into turn one because they are in top gear at start finish, go all the way down to 2nd and go in too hot. Cost one of TRG's customer cars a top 10 finish in 2012 when the tooth wedged between the case and shift rod and they had to change the gearbox at 11am.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Go from 5th to 3rd all the time on a few corners we have. Just need to heel / toe / blip correctly. I would guess that n/a cars might be more temperamental due to higher c/r although more responsive to the blipping?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

OP asked what people were doing. Not commentary, IIRC.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

I always downshift sequential, one at a time because there is less opportunity for me to screw up.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been going from 5 to 3 and 5 to 2 for years in the 944, generally at the end of front straights. Lay into the brakes, wait, shift with a rev match.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I typically go though the gears sequentially when down shifting. You are much less likely to misjudge your deceleration rate and timing of the down shift with that method, than you are jumping gears. Further, street transmissions do not like engine braking, the engine doesn't care to much for it either, so use the brakes to slow down the car. That's what they are they are designed to do. Do this by delaying the down shift until the RPMs have dropped significantly and with rev matching so the RPMs don't rise significantly when the next gear is engaged. Doing so properly will also help maintain the cars balance in the braking zone. Practice, practice.

Last edited by CCA; 01-17-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
OP asked what people were doing. Not commentary, IIRC.
Now you tell me.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
You are a lot more likely to match revs properly if you go one gear at a time, so less risk, less wear and tear. If you are heal-toe'ing in the braking zone and there's enough of a speed difference to move down two gears (or more), I'd say you have plenty o' time to go through the gears.
+1 to this. I always go down thru each gear. I have more instances of making an error trying to skip gears than rowing thru each one. If I could confidently skip gears I would, but history has shown that I'm more likely to make an error.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Always sequentially with a rare exception. Sometimes I will get focused on something on the track and will forget what gear I am in. So this will give you a tactile memory to hopefully prevent a money shift.
Me too. All it took was one time pulling out of 5th and then getting "lost" trying to find 3rd while going into T15 at TWS going CW.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2015, 02:06 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I shut my eyes when speeds get scary, typically I'll turn when it gets bumpy and then stir that shift thingy until it finds a slot.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I always downshift sequential, one at a time because there is less opportunity for me to screw up.
Originally Posted by schwank
I've been going from 5 to 3 and 5 to 2 for years in the 944, generally at the end of front straights. Lay into the brakes, wait, shift with a rev match.
I think this is a great example that the key is to develop and execute a system that works for you. That's most important. There's no "right " or "wrong" way...

Originally Posted by CCA
Now you tell me.

Originally Posted by 2BWise
+1 to this. I always go down thru each gear. I have more instances of making an error trying to skip gears than rowing thru each one. If I could confidently skip gears I would, but history has shown that I'm more likely to make an error.
Again, successful strategies in this game (racing and/or DE), past a certain point, are MUCH more about reducing errors than enhancing performance.

Since the downshift's primary function is to select the optimal gear to accelerate through and out of the corner, it's more about not doing anything that delays throttle application at the onset of the cornering phase. Pursue a strategy that allows subconscious execution with minimal chance (or opportunity) for error.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiB
As I shut my eyes when speeds get scary, typically I'll turn when it gets bumpy and then stir that shift thingy until it finds a slot.
Man, we can ALWAYS count on you for the most accurate observation of what MOST people do!
Old 01-17-2015, 02:23 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
There's plenty of gears in there. I'm sure you'll find one of them.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:32 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, the key to performance driving is doing exactly the same thing exactly the same way on every lap. There is no "right" or "wrong", just what works for you.

As a rule of thumb, the less activity, the better. On specific turns where a two or more downshift is required (e.g. 5-3, 4-2), I generally "skip-shift". The trick is the timing in the brake zone. If the revs are properly matched, this should not have any impact on the synchs, and a "double shift" simply distracts you from your primary job, which is braking.

Just a tip, the key to successfully executing a skip shift is hand position on the shifter.

Most novices shift with a "hammer-grip" grabbing the shift **** with a clenched fist. This locks the sensitive twitch muscles in your hand and wrist, and moves the job of locating the shift gate to the relatively crude muscles of the upper arm and shoulder.

Combined with the somewhat bewildering preference of drivers for short shift throws and tight gear gate spacing, this greatly increases the probability of a "money shift".

I recumbent that students shift with an "open palm", positions 180 degrees from the gear gate desired. For example, a shift to 2nd (either up or down) should have pressure at 2 o'clock, and a pull toward your right leg.

A shift to 3rd (up or down) should position the palm at 7 o'clock, and a push toward the glove-box.

Any shift to 4th (up or down) should use a "backhand" position with the palm at 10 o'clock, thumb pointing to the floor, and a pull toward the passenger seat.

Every shift has a totally unique hand position and movement, thus minimizing the possibility of missing the gate.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, the key to performance driving is doing exactly the same thing exactly the same way on every lap. There is no "right" or "wrong", just what works for you.

As a rule of thumb, the less activity, the better. On specific turns where a two or more downshift is required (e.g. 5-3, 4-2), I generally "skip-shift". The trick is the timing in the brake zone. If the revs are properly matched, this should not have any impact on the synchs, and a "double shift" simply distracts you from your primary job, which is braking.

Just a tip, the key to successfully executing a skip shift is hand position on the shifter.

Most novices shift with a "hammer-grip" grabbing the shift **** with a clenched fist. This locks the sensitive twitch muscles in your hand and wrist, and moves the job of locating the shift gate to the relatively crude muscles of the upper arm and shoulder.

Combined with the somewhat bewildering preference of drivers for short shift throws and tight gear gate spacing, this greatly increases the probability of a "money shift".

I recumbent that students shift with an "open palm", positions 180 degrees from the gear gate desired. For example, a shift to 2nd (either up or down) should have pressure at 2 o'clock, and a pull toward your right leg.

A shift to 3rd (up or down) should position the palm at 7 o'clock, and a push toward the glove-box.

Any shift to 4th (up or down) should use a "backhand" position with the palm at 10 o'clock, thumb pointing to the floor, and a pull toward the passenger seat.

Every shift has a totally unique hand position and movement, thus minimizing the possibility of missing the gate.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Habits?