Sponsored by:

Remote datalogging...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Orjan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote datalogging...

I've been reading up and down on the current topics of dataloggers on rennlist - and they are a few
I would like to know however, if there are any systems that allow realtime data sent back to the pit... preferrably not professional grade equipment like they probably use in WRC and F1

I have been looking at the DL-90, and it turns out that it has some realtime functions for displaying the inputs live, through the rs-232 port, on a laptop or similar..

If only there was a way of transmitting this signal (115kbps I assume) from anywhere on the track to the pit-area - the crew could be monitoring important inputs.

We've been through a few alternatives...but no-one seems to be very practical alltogether:

WLAN - will require computer gear in the car (uh-oh) and it cannot cover the necessary area without having a huge omni-directional antenna at many times the allowed limit for emission...

GPRS/GPS through a cell phone - possibly not fast enough, could have reliabillity issues in certain areas and it will cost way too much ... at lest 6 hour endurance

Radio modems - tons of products, but either they ar too slow or they have too short range... unless you are a radio amateur that is.
I looked at the license free bands, but ranges are just a few hundred meters (434MHz I think?).

Any other thoughts? Is it possible, and would racers like to have systems like this at sub $1K?
If we could manage to transmit the signal of the DL-90... we'd be rolling.

Best regards,
Ørjan

Quick Reply: Remote datalogging...