Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Head rRestraint System? Thoughts and Input Please..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Best Head rRestraint System? Thoughts and Input Please..

My particular application is in a 993 with GT3 seats and a Factory 996 Cup Car. Any thoughts, on best in accident, ease of use, sources and pricing would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a search...it's been discussed quite a bit in the last two months.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Glen,
I have seen the wormanship in the HANS device and it is top notch. I know you are a no compromises type of guy and it seems like this is the device of choice in many series where they have options. Look at Grand Am, ALMS, Speed Challenge and you will see lots of HANS device equiped drivers in their Porsches.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going with a HANS device - just B/C of the fact that that is what is required in F1 and other top series. And for the fact that i will not be driving my own car for a year or 2 while mine is being fixed - i want something that i can easily take with me
the web site is http://www.hansdevice.com - they cost 1275.00 for the professional model - carbon fiber
Old 08-25-2003, 06:45 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Glen,

You should try before you buy. It's the only way to make a reasonable decision.

Try an Isaac system for a weekend. We usually charge $65 for a rental package (helmet included), but I'll have it taken out of the engineering department budget--no cost to you.

The basic models start at $725, the titanium version is $3,250.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it very much. I will be instructing in a few weeks and plan on doing some digging that weekend. Greg I would be glad to try Your system that weekend if that works on your end. PM me and I will give You all my contact info. Bryan W. what system have You used?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I have used a borrowed Hutchens for one weekend, and didn't like it.

When I buy, it'll likely be an Isaac.

I drive both open wheel and sedan type cars, so the adaptability of the system is especially attractive to me. I have no desire to purchase 3 different HANS for 3 different seating angles that I may encounter in a season of racing. Further, I'm not all that impressed with the helmet mounts for the HANS system...2 rivets? I'll take the composite glue on the Isaac system, which should distribute the load over a much larger area!!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:07 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Default Isaac Try-and-Buy Program

All,

I don't want to wear out my welcome here, but several forum members have contacted us asking how they can get the Rental Isaac. Just go here: http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/order.html

All of our products and services are available via the Order Form, which is a PDF file on the Web site. Fax it in with the Waiver and we can set you up.

We had no idea the try-and-buy would become so popular. We seem to be constantly out of helmets, so the sooner you order the more likely we can arrange for your size helmet to be available.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:50 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did an update on my experiences with Isaac a while back, but can't recall did I post here or the email list? In any event, my summary after ~30 runs with the device this year:
+ unobtrusive once it's on, more range of neck motion than with the padded collar I used to use. It "clatters" a bit but you don't notice at speed.
+ One size fits all + share-able, my wife uses it for DEs
+ High quality materials/workmanship, appealing design premise.
- Not easy to put on quickly. I am used to it now, but rushing in the pits at the Mosport enduro I began to fumble and wound up taking 30-40 seconds to fasten the right side. Really my fault; plan better.
- Still worry about corner worker/rescue team seeing it for the first time if I am not awake to advise. This will go away with time. Plus I should start handing out copies of the corner worker sheet at each new track.

Personality wise I admit to being the "early adopter." But so far I believe it is a more elegant solution than HANS in terms of function and usability ( I infer from the new belts coming out that there is an issue with HANS slipping out from under the strap?) and I'd buy it again.

There is a related thread going in right now with a real time (regrettably) Isaac crash testimonial.

I will be at Summit Point for the Shattenbaum DE in Sept, and the Club race at SP in Oct for anyone who wants to see it...

Brandon H
911SC G #77

Quick Reply: Best Head rRestraint System? Thoughts and Input Please..