Sponsored by:

F1 car vs F-18 Hornet Fighter Jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015 | 01:07 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Cool F1 car vs F-18 Hornet Fighter Jet

I'm impressed that F1 car beat it until the Hornet was well airborne:

Brings back memories of the late 80's when the F/A-18s were being built by McDonnell Aircraft Company at Lambert St. Louis airport (although I think the Aussie F-18s were built down under). At the time I was there, you could get very close to the airport runways and there was a stretch of road parallel to one of the runways that was little used. It was easy to set up a drag race with an airliner. I had a decently quick car at the time and found I could beat a TWA 727 to 45 MPH or so and then the jet was just gone. Figured the jet's slow start was due the time it took the jet engines to spool up to full power.

Never got the chance to drag an F/A-18 or F-15E, but got to watch lots of Viking takeoffs where they went from dead stop to 10,000ft+ before going over the airport fence. Most times the aircraft was brand new and not even painted yet.

On the other hand, the F1 car almost could beat the F-18 on full AB to the end of the runway. Fighter jets, one of the few things that can make F1 look cheap .

-Mike
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This is a great example of constant force vs constant HP.

The reason for the jet slow start, is constant force, very little HP... remember, from past discussions, acceleration is proportional to power. (not much to do with spool up of the jet engines, as most anyway, use brakes to spool up engines before releasing them)

The jet has constant acceleration (near constant), it also gains produces more Power proportional with speed. (power =f x v)
The car has declining acceleration as force will be inversely proportional with speed as its power is near constant

Quick Reply: F1 car vs F-18 Hornet Fighter Jet