Sponsored by:

AIM MXL Custom Sensor Info for older 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AIM MXL Custom Sensor Info for older 911

Installing an MXL into 3.2l 911. I plan to remove the analog oil temp and pressure gauges and just use the MXL. I was wondering if anyone had the data/values used to build custom sensor to save some time on the install? Thanks Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Most of the senders for gauges are resistance based, so you'll have to put in a pull up resistor and calculate the mV values. I've never tried just using the old senders, so I can't help with the sender calibrations.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

It's so critical, in my opinion, to use the AiM sensors when removing the instruments and relying fully on the display for engine health. For that reason, I don't recommend building custom sensors for that using the stock sensors. The best solid state pressure sensors are $159 and the temp sensors are only $45, then use he pull down menus to load the values without issue.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

I'm aware what needs to be done, just thought if maybe people shared would save time on install. I only have 2 weeks till race and with Holidays I have no time. Still have a lot to do installing lights, radios, brake systems, and such. Installing new shiny sensors then running cables thru the tunnel to the dash (plus $40 each sensor for patch cables) is not a critical path item. So would have $300 invested, too much time and then what? The analog sensors were fine. Just want to capture readout on dash. The factory wires are sitting in the dash location. Isn't that what this thing is supposed to do?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, it should do that after installation of a pull up resistor and calculating the mV values. Just don't have the values from the stock sensors. Sorry.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Yes exactly. That is why I was asking the board to share knowledge and help a Rennlister save time. Just like getting the factory plastic gas tank readout from Cupcar onto Aim Dash in Gallons remaining. I did this and shared data with numerous folks doing same to save them time and effort. If all you AIM guys got together I'm sure you could come up with a nice little spot in Rennlist for storing data like this for easy reference for future customers. Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Bob, I think the factory oil pressure sensor on the SC is a VDO 0-5bar pressure sensor. If I recall, that is one of the standard sensors defined by AiM. I can check my factory manuals for oil temp readouts to see if they provided ohm ranges that correspond to select temperature values. Let me know and I will dig in and see if I can find the values. Oil pressure and oil temp and fuel and you are done!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If that VDO 0-5 bar pressure sender is correct, AiM sells a harness that has the right terminals for the sender WITH a built-in resistor and a 719 plastic connector (for the cheaper $29 cable) to the MXL-MXL2-MXG. Will save you some time!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't have any of the values (like Peter) because I always advocate using the AiM dash instead of the factory gauges. The senders that AiM uses are motorsport quality and miles better than the VDO senders. With the temp senders so cheap and only needing a couple of pressure senders, I've never messed with the factory senders.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Fuel for short term will still be using factory gauge. Factory VDO in the SC was the single wire sender. The VDO is a 2 wire. This seemed so easy went I went down this path. Oh yeah and the 20 other major things to do as well as some cage work. Oh well.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Peter this is exactly what i am trying to do before my car goes to sebring from pa. first week in jan.. need connections from stock sensore ( or aftermarket if you have for: oil temp, oil pressure, and oil presure idiot light ) fir my 3.2 l... would like it to be reasonably plug and play, and set it up such that oil press and temp can be logged also. cheers frank
Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geneman
Peter this is exactly what i am trying to do before my car goes to sebring from pa. first week in jan.. need connections from stock sensore ( or aftermarket if you have for: oil temp, oil pressure, and oil presure idiot light ) fir my 3.2 l... would like it to be reasonably plug and play, and set it up such that oil press and temp can be logged also. cheers frank
Oil Temp and pressure senders are very easy to do. I have those on the shelf and they are plug and play with the AiM systems. The factory idiot light wouldn't work, but you can set an alarm on your dash to do the same thing. You would most likely need a patch cable or two, but that is all stock stuff.

Quick Reply: AIM MXL Custom Sensor Info for older 911