Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
What additional things or data can base Solo show if connected to OBD or CAN bus? I know Solo DL will log all kinds of data about the car (e.g. oil temp and pressure) if connected to CAN bus; what can Solo log?

Can you also PM me rennlist discount on Solo?

Thank you.
For your car (assuming it's the Boxster Spyder), you can get a lot with the CAN connection on the Solo DL. I've pasted what you'll get, which is just about everything! The regular Solo doesn't have any connection to the car other than the cigarette plug for power.

PM sent on pricing.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
What additional things or data can base Solo show if connected to OBD or CAN bus?

I know Solo DL will log all kinds of data about the car (e.g. oil temp and pressure) if connected to CAN bus; what can Solo log?

Thank you.
Solo is not able to accept any inputs or connect at all to the car except for cigarette lighter or external power.

Solo: GPS Speed, GPS and actual lat and long g, sat count, GPS position. That's about it.

Solo DL: what Matt said above with a hard wire connection.

Nice thing about the 2009 and later Boxster S is the quick and easy OBD-II plug in connection, no muss, no fuss. Details here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ns_103_eng.pdf
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:08 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent.

Thank you Matt and Peter.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,099 Posts

On the solo vs. solo dl with can/obd - i've been using the solo dl for almost a year as a training tool, I (used to be) technical so picked up the use pretty easily, lots of great how-to on the web. The regular solo you get a massive amount of information out of, other than car stuff. The biggest real advantage I've seen the DL is adding braking activation, throttle position, rpm, gear, and steering angle into the data mix. That way I can easily see coasting, slow throttle application, early braking, early/late turn in, gear optimization, that kind of stuff that added into the G, timing, and speed data help you see what you are doing on track and what the inputs were that lead to the good or poor results. Oh, the engine health stuff is interesting too.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
On the solo vs. solo dl with can/obd - i've been using the solo dl for almost a year as a training tool, I (used to be) technical so picked up the use pretty easily, lots of great how-to on the web. The regular solo you get a massive amount of information out of, other than car stuff. The biggest real advantage I've seen the DL is adding braking activation, throttle position, rpm, gear, and steering angle into the data mix. That way I can easily see coasting, slow throttle application, early braking, early/late turn in, gear optimization, that kind of stuff that added into the G, timing, and speed data help you see what you are doing on track and what the inputs were that lead to the good or poor results. Oh, the engine health stuff is interesting too.
Great summary! I think the regular Solo gives you probably 80% of a full blown system at a great price point. I think almost any driver could benefit from the data they get out of a Solo, if from nothing else than the great predictive lap time. You'll see a ton of cars at the professional level with a regular Solo in for the big, bright predictive timing that becomes so important once you use it.

When a car has a good CAN or OBDII stream, the data you get from a Solo DL rivals a full blown, instrumented car!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Great summary! I think the regular Solo gives you probably 80% of a full blown system at a great price point. I think almost any driver could benefit from the data they get out of a Solo, if from nothing else than the great predictive lap time. You'll see a ton of cars at the professional level with a regular Solo in for the big, bright predictive timing that becomes so important once you use it.
In our race car we run an MXL Pista dash + SmartyCam HD, but for the drivers there also is a Solo mounted on the left hand side on the top of the dash because it is so much easier to read the laptimes + predictive.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are only two kinds of people who drive on the track: those who use data and those who don't. If you are already using data then you probably agree with me. If not, you're missing a great opportunity to become a better/faster/safer driver. Matt's offer is almost too good to be true.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a way to hook up a separate roof mounted antennae to the AIM Solo unit? (I am getting intermittent satellite signals at times and can not affix to windshield). Thanks.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ted in Rochester
Is there a way to hook up a separate roof mounted antennae to the AIM Solo unit? (I am getting intermittent satellite signals at times and can not affix to windshield). Thanks.
There is no way to do a report antenna. Where do you have it mounted? They normally do well unless on the bottom of the dash.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do suspect that the mounting position is my problem....mounted to my cage, drivers side just above the dash. Easy for me to view while driving but, I suspect the cage and maybe the roof are getting in the way of the signal. Works about 1/2 of the time.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do suspect that the mounting position is my problem....mounted to my cage, drivers side just above the dash. Easy for me to view while driving but, I suspect the cage and maybe the roof are getting in the way of the signal. Works about 1/2 of the time.
Ted, this is odd. Where you have it mounted should work well, many others have placed their Solo's in the same (or worse) places and are getting very good results.

I would love for you to send me a data file set from a session when it was not working well so I can see the GPS quality information and other information. PM or email me so we can get you all fixed up!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Take Roger up on his offer. I've mounted lots of units on the A pillar without trouble.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had multiple cars running the Solo at that exact spot. No problems whatsoever.

Quick Reply: New AiM Solo Trial Program