Rennpoints predictions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Rennpoints predictions

Maybe one of you other racer types can explain this to me. For the last two years I have not been getting a predicted lap time listed. And when I goto the driver page and get lap time predictions they are slower than my actual lap times. For example, at Summit Point the predicted lap time is 1.5 seconds slower than my actual time.

Is there a setting in RP or MyLaps that I need to fiddle with?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will not give a prediction if your predicted time is slower than your actual time. It's as if the program thinks you over-achieved and should not have gone that fast... and it doesn't want to publicly humiliate you.

Why it sometimes thinks that is a mystery to me... The predicted lap times have always been a mystery to me. And clicking on the "prediction" formulation does little to clear it up.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

But I never get predictions. So Rennpoints always assumes I'll be slower than my actual times?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
But I never get predictions. So Rennpoints always assumes I'll be slower than my actual times?
Yes. I guess so.

I love and appreciate Rennpoints, but there is some strange flaw in the computer program. My predicted time is often pretty accurate, however the program plays favorites. There are two people who are always predicted much faster than me... even though they are never actually faster than me in the real world. They know who they are because it's become a joke between us. They must be on the Rennpoints Board of Directors.

For the Road America race last year, there was some random guy who was predicted to blow Doug Crossman's doors off by several seconds a lap in G class. That was worth a good laugh.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Maybe one of you other racer types can explain this to me. For the last two years I have not been getting a predicted lap time listed. And when I goto the driver page and get lap time predictions they are slower than my actual lap times. For example, at Summit Point the predicted lap time is 1.5 seconds slower than my actual time.

Is there a setting in RP or MyLaps that I need to fiddle with?
It has to do with the fact that you are getting older, your reflexes are getting slower, and your general level of aggression is waning. Sucks, I know.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I have wondered the same thing before about it being out for some and not others. I did some looking around and what I noticed is that it averages lap times between you and another like competitor. This mostly works unless there isn't great consistency in the lap times between either you or the person it compares you to. Averaging the result then just amplifies the problem. Kinda how the average of 1 and 15 is 8, which is not even close to either 1 or 15.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I think Rennpoints knows about your wicker encrusted paddock bicycle.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I think Rennpoints knows about your wicker encrusted paddock bicycle.
and the onesie.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielyonker
It has to do with the fact that you are getting older, your reflexes are getting slower, and your general level of aggression is waning. Sucks, I know.
Imma still go out there no matter how slow I am just to **** a few of you off
Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Jack - the program must be assuming that I will be racing on tires with less than 15 heat cycles.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chipster
Jack - the program must be assuming that I will be racing on tires with less than 15 heat cycles.

That's it!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

The prediction algorithm is a bit involved...

It started with something that a buddy and I noticed a long time ago that our lap times relative to the class records tended to be very consistent. I.e, if my lap time at a track is 1.05x the class record, it is likely to be 1.05 times the class record at most other tracks (usually within 2/10s of a percent).

In the first incarnation of coming up with predictions, I tried to apply that formula and ran into a few basic problems.
1) If an event is lightly attended and a "slow" driver puts up a class record due to poor competition showing up, the prediction for that driver tends to greatly overstate how good they will do at future events.
2) Since the comparison is made against the track record, the best that you could be predicted to do is as good as the track record.
3) If your first couple events are at rainy events, it will generally give you poor predictions as it sees that you are driving slow (compared to the class records)

I thought about this for a while and came up with a new comparison mechanism that resolved a few of those issues
1) The algorithm looks at all sessions that you ran against other people in your class and that have also raced at the track that we are trying to predict. It assumes that the ratio between your lap times will stay constant. For example, if at another track, you turn a 61 second lap, and your peer turned a 60 second lap, it assumes that ratio stays constant. So, if your peer turned a best of a 120 second lap at the prediction track, it assumes you will turn a best of 122 seconds.

By comparing racers at the same session, it nicely solves the problems of weather conditions (as both people see the same conditions). It also allows the prediction to be faster than the standing class record.

Now, the problem remaining is which driver to compare against and which of your sessions should it use as the base? I.e., we want to generate a prediction based on when you were running a good lap time (e.g., no car issues) and your peer was also running a good lap time. For that, we compare your lap time against the class record and your peer's time against the track record. Also, to ensure that your competitor is consistent, we compare his best lap time at the prediction track against the track record. We look for instances where all three comparisons are close to the track record.

As a formula, we are trying to maximize the following:
(class record at comparison track)/(your lap time at comparison track) * (class record at comparison track)/(your peer's lap time in same run session at comparison track) * (class record at prediction track / your peer's best lap time at prediction track)

Once we find that number, we then look for other peers within 2% of that product. We then use the ratio of lap times to come up with predictions and average them all together.

I've found that the prediction is remarkably accurate but am aware there are a few flaws:
1) If somebody did really well a long time ago, it still keeps coming up with good predictions for that person. I should have something that ages out old results
2) Class records are always based on the current class record. It may be worthwhile to use the class record as it stood at the time (that might also solve the above problem)

Hope that helps clear things up...
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, I also notice that you are not carrying forward GTS times as class records and are only showing class records for GT classes for the last year or so since the combination of S and R into one class.
For a number of tracks, that means that the GT class records a slower than the previous records for GTS, and at some tracks, significantly slower.
I understand that you don't want to show the old GTR class records as current records, since GT cars running slicks now have to run 50 lbs heavier than the street tired cars in their class, whereas they were running the same weight, S and R, before but wouldn't it make sense to show GT class records from before, if the GTS class record was faster then was turned last year?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Brian, I also notice that you are not carrying forward GTS times as class records and are only showing class records for GT classes for the last year or so since the combination of S and R into one class.
For a number of tracks, that means that the GT class records a slower than the previous records for GTS, and at some tracks, significantly slower.
I understand that you don't want to show the old GTR class records as current records, since GT cars running slicks now have to run 50 lbs heavier than the street tired cars in their class, whereas they were running the same weight, S and R, before but wouldn't it make sense to show GT class records from before, if the GTS class record was faster then was turned last year?
That should be a relatively easy fix as I had to deal with similar issues when the stock classes got reshuffled a few years back. My guess is I can get it resolved by the end of this coming weekend.

Quick Reply: Rennpoints predictions