Sponsored by:

Need Smartycam help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Smartycam help

I just purchased an AIM Smartycam HD GP that is connected to the AIM Pista dash in my race car. I thought this would be a plug and play option but I can't get the data to work. I tried using Race Studio 2 to align the gauges to the proper data sources in the dash, but none of the guages work. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Charley, there are two steps to this, but first, you need to make sure the AiM Pista is up to date with firmware in order to communicate to the camera. Download the updater here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...140521_WEB.exe and run it. Then, connect the MXL Pista without the camera connected. Run the Updater.

Then, it sounds like you've done the first part, which is through RS2, aligning the output channels of the MXL Pista to the channels on the SmartyCam Configuration in Race Studio 2, but then "Transmit" for it to send those commands to the dash.

Then, connect the USB cable with the camera to the camera, open SmartyManager 2. Your camera should appear on the left half of the screen once it's fired up. "Receive" or download the configuration on the camera to your laptop. Then, a window will open on the left side of the page and you make sure the items on the background of the video are aligned with the channel outs from the MXL.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Charley, there are two steps to this, but first, you need to make sure the AiM Pista is up to date with firmware in order to communicate to the camera. Download the updater here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...140521_WEB.exe and run it. Then, connect the MXL Pista without the camera connected. Run the Updater.

Then, it sounds like you've done the first part, which is through RS2, aligning the output channels of the MXL Pista to the channels on the SmartyCam Configuration in Race Studio 2, but then "Transmit" for it to send those commands to the dash.

Then, connect the USB cable with the camera to the camera, open SmartyManager 2. Your camera should appear on the left half of the screen once it's fired up. "Receive" or download the configuration on the camera to your laptop. Then, a window will open on the left side of the page and you make sure the items on the background of the video are aligned with the channel outs from the MXL.
Thank you for the help Peter....I confirmed that my dash is up to date. I transmitted the aligned output channels to the dash. But, I am not understanding the third step. I was able to download the configuration from the camera to the laptop...but, I am not understanding how to align the channels from the MXL. I get to a page where it is showing the channels but the only changes I can make are to the "units" or the "Scale".

Charley
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Charley

When you say you can't get data to work what do you mean specifically. What works and what doesn't? For instance, if speed and RPM work but throttle and brake don't it will be different problem than no data at all.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

I am not getting any data signals at all. Not tach, brake throttle, etc. the only one I hace not confirmed is speed, because I can't get the race car out of the garage right now.

Thanks for the help.
Charley
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Let's check connections. Where is your GPS antenna connected? To a Data Hub? To the camera? Can you see if you have a GPS signal? Turn everything on and see if you have "cell bars" in the preview screen of the camera.

Try connecting the camera cable from the "EXT" on the back of the camera directly to the five pin connector on the back of the dash.

Does the camera fire up when you turn on the dash?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

The GPS antenna is connected directly to the camera using the four pin antenna plug. I do have a GPS signal. As a side note I have two different antennas that I could use: the one I am using is from about 2010 and has a four pin connection it says smarty cam on the top. The other antenna I have is a 2014 GPS 05 with the five pin connection.

The camera is connected directly to the dash and doesn't go through a data hub. I am using the optional cable that has a microphone jack. The sound works on the recording. When I get home I will double check the connector that goes into the dash. Because it seems like the dash and camera are not talking. Is there a way to confirm they are talking?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, there is a way.

First, check to see if it powers up and is charging (lightning bolt next to battery icon) in the camera when the dash is fired up.

Next, select Menu>Dash and fire it up. If no RPM, then the cable is busted or the dash is not sending.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

You can go Online with the camera as well.

The cable with the Mic has 7 very fine pins that goes into the back of the camera. Unscrew that connector rand look at the pins with a magnifying glass. I've seen those bent but the connector still seems to go in.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:22 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Thank you both VERY much! It ended up being a bad cable. I did the check that Peter recommended and it showed that the camera wasn't receiving data from the dash. Then I swapped the cable with an old cable that was in the car when I bought it (but it doesn't have the microphone jack) and everything is working now. Checking a brand new cable was one of the last things I would have thought to check. AIM is sending me a replacement cable. Hopfully it will get here in time for me to get it installed prior to my track day this weekend.

Charley
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Thank you both VERY much! It ended up being a bad cable. I did the check that Peter recommended and it showed that the camera wasn't receiving data from the dash. Then I swapped the cable with an old cable that was in the car when I bought it (but it doesn't have the microphone jack) and everything is working now. Checking a brand new cable was one of the last things I would have thought to check. AIM is sending me a replacement cable. Hopfully it will get here in time for me to get it installed prior to my track day this weekend.

Charley
Great news!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:09 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Charley

You might want to try the camera with the cable you have first, than make the swap. I'm not crazy about the sound with the added microphone. I've tried it in 997 Cup Cars (which are very noisy) and I didn't like the mic. I preferred the internal mic. Either way you should try both. Glad you found the problem.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

I have another question.... I have two different antennas. One has a four pin connector that plugs into the Smartycam ( I was told that it is a gps05B from around 2010), and the other is a new GPS05 with a five pin connector. Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CharleyH
I have another question.... I have two different antennas. One has a four pin connector that plugs into the Smartycam ( I was told that it is a gps05B from around 2010), and the other is a new GPS05 with a five pin connector. Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

Thanks,
Charley
In my experience, no.

Either/or works.

The five pin used to sell for $399, is now $299, and should be included when you sell the MXL for greater value. You HAVE to use the 5-pin with the MXL standalone.

The 4-pin costs $149, and is only for the SC and SC HD. If that camera (HD) is used standalone, it MUST have that antenna to give speed and lap times.

The AiM components use their own CAN (Controller Area Network) that allows them to draw on connected AiM accessories, so either/or works.

Now, when I have a choice, I usually supply a Data Hub (5-pin male to four 5-pin female dogbone) and plug that into the MXL. Then I plug the camera into the Hub and the GPS-05 (5-pin) antenna into the Data Hub. Then, I load the GPS Manager start/finish coordinates into the dash and it feeds that info to the camera.

When using the 4-pin on the camera and the camera plugged into the MXL, I load the camera with the start/finish coordinates to feed the dash.

Machts Nichts.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-12-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

I like running the GPSO5, but for people buying an MXL and SmartyCam HD, its cheaper to do the GPS05B. Both give the same results, though I've found with the old SmartyCam, sometimes updates are easier when using the GPS05 into the dash.

With the new generation of product, the GPS is supplied with the dash, so it will be a decision most people won't have to make.

Peter, CAN is Controller Area Network, not Computer Area Network.

Quick Reply: Need Smartycam help