Sponsored by:

Open Face Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
If some dummy wants to wear an open face that's on them. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why one would not wear a full face helmet.

But I see all kinds of stuff on track, like people with 5 and 6 point belts and no HANS device. I try to tell them, but they don't listen.
well, more is certainly better, but even for the downsides of 6point with no hans, I think its safer overall than lap belts. there are about 10 accidents where the 6 point would save your life vs lap belts, and probably 1-2 where the hans would.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
People spend over a thousand dollars for a set of tires but won't spend the same on a Hans. This year between a new helmet, two halo seats, and a fire suppression system, I spent about $5k on safety.

Open helmet? Only if I am a "star in a reasonably priced car" on Top Gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
The open helmet is really good for instructing, if you don't have communication systems, for both driver and instructor. this is probably the main reason you might have been asked to use their open face helmets.

To your point, I wonder if all drivers, DE or not, should run HANS. Certainly it has saved lives, I guess the logic is that most of the accidents in DE are slower speeds, and with heavier cars with greater crumple zones.
Maybe we need to bring back the Huchenson Device for all DEs.

$5k on safety is a little much.. There are great $4-500 helmets, HANS run about $700 and a good 10lb fire suppression system should only cost about $500 with 3 spray outlets. So, those Halo Seats must cost a lot!!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
well, more is certainly better, but even for the downsides of 6point with no hans, I think its safer overall than lap belts. there are about 10 accidents where the 6 point would save your life vs lap belts, and probably 1-2 where the hans would.

The open helmet is really good for instructing, if you don't have communication systems, for both driver and instructor. this is probably the main reason you might have been asked to use their open face helmets.

To your point, I wonder if all drivers, DE or not, should run HANS. Certainly it has saved lives, I guess the logic is that most of the accidents in DE are slower speeds, and with heavier cars with greater crumple zones.
Maybe we need to bring back the Huchenson Device for all DEs.

$5k on safety is a little much.. There are great $4-500 helmets, HANS run about $700 and a good 10lb fire suppression system should only cost about $500 with 3 spray outlets. So, those Halo Seats must cost a lot!!
Could I have done similar and spent less? Perhaps a little.

Two OMP halo seats installed - $2,500
Hans - $1,000
Fire suppression installed - $1,000
Stilo helmet - $1,200

So I guess it was closer to $6k - especially if I count new gloves and balaclava.

Maybe I could have done it for about $4k - but not less.

I also need a fire suit before my first race in January - that's going to be another $1k.

My point - I don't view any of it as a waste. It all allows me to look at myself in the mirror and rationalize and minimize the risks I am taking for this hobby.

Quick Reply: Open Face Helmets?