Coolest Racing Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolest Racing Suit?

I'm about to make the step to buy a racing suit (don't tell my wife!) and trying to sort out which is the preferable one.

I'm currently leaning towards buying either a 2 or 3 layer suit and nomex underwear.

I've looked a bit at Sparco, Simpson, Racequip, Stand21, VAS, etc. as well as a local outfit called Teamware that will custom make a suite for a fairly affordable price - I'm trying to determine which of these suits might have an advantage in regards to coolness (I borrowed a Simpson 2 layer for a recent track day and found it to be extremely hot).

While coolness is important, safety is first! I'm presuming that if the various suits indicate the same certification that they provide roughly equal fire protection - please advise if I'm wrong.

Thank much.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

ISLAND PACKET 420?!?! Next time you are in Annapolis I will give you a taste of 10-14 knots under sail ;>

I have a Sparco suit that the seams are coming apart. I have only had it for a dozen races or so. We wash it on gentle cycle and air dry. This suit is hot as hell but once you get on the track its the last thing on your mind.

I just noticed we have the same car!

Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Bill,

Actually not the same car...mine has yellow doors & hood!!!

I wish I got more use out of the Island Packet - we keep it in Hilton Head and only get down there 6-8 times/year as a family (I get down there more often).

Also, is it necessarily hotter than other suits?

Thanks much.

Have you heard others having the stiching issue that you've had with the Sparco?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Rick,
I like my Stand 21 suit, the model that is almost like pajamas, and is very comfortable but it is far from being cool. I really don't think there is a good suit that won't be warm. Look at adding a Cool Shirt if you are doing a lot of events in the mid summer heat.

http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/clubsystem.html
Old 08-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Who sells Stand 21 in the US?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Several retailers I know of, Northstar Motorsports being one that is in the Chicago area. I got mine through the US distributor when I was at the Rolex 24hr a couple years ago.

http://fransurf.com/lareunion/stand2...s/usa/usa.html
Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick,

When I was in Atlanta in June, I stopped by the offices of Stand 21's U.S. distributor to get custom fitted for the same ST2000 suit that Greg has. I received it one week ago, and couldn't be happier with the quality of the construction and the fit.

The ST2000 is made from a very breathable and stretchable version of Aramid, and I think it will be as cool as a race suit can be (although I have yet to wear it at the track, in all honesty).

The office is run by a very personable and knowledgeable lady named Nancy McCoy. Her e-mail is nancy.mccoy@usa.net . You might also get Helene if you call. The office is located at 3560 Financial Center Way, Suite 8, Buford, GA 30519, 770-932-9080.

I would highly recommend the buying experience if you have an excuse to visit Atlanta. Also, made-to-measure only added $125 to the total price, and was well worth it to get a perfectly fitting suit.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Anir,

What was the approx cost for the Stand21 suit?

Thanks much.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rick
Anir,What was the approx cost for the Stand21 suit?
Rick,

The ST2000 was $1,175, plus $125 for made-to-measure. My example actually ended up costing quite a bit more, because I had a lot of custom embroidery done with our company's logo, etc, so that I could write it off as a business (advertising) expense.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Anir,

I won't charge you to wear your company's logo if you'll just send me a ST2000 in my size. I'll send the dimensions if this is agreeable. In fact, I'll even put your decal on the front hood of my car!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mac,

I just might have to take you up on that, since it seems like a bunch of my patients have another home in Florida!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

$1175? Geez I thought my Sparco was high $. Thats a set of Hoosiers!

Before the Club Race at "The Beav" I was on the grid sweating like crazy thinking when was the last time a stock car had a fire ? I should be driving in flip flops and shorts. About 10 or so laps out a car hits a 911 in the left rear corner and a fire starts. I decided I like my hot driving suit & roll cage.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bill,

Maybe the Sparco was less because "the seams are coming apart" and it's "hot as hell"?!

Seriously, the Stand 21 suit seems really well made, and I loved the personal attention given to us by Nancy during the custom fitting. I still get all my nicer (Italian) clothes from a small men's store in Birmingham, Alabama called Shaia's . It's been owned and operated by the same family for 3 generations. They have the greatest clothes I've ever seen and personal service that's out-of-this-world.

The Stand 21 buying experience was similarly enjoyable. Great attention to quality and detail. I think you just can't beat the French or Italians (e.g. OMP) when it comes to clothing - even racing suits.

I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm a happy customer.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Anir

Seriously, the Stand 21 suit seems really well made, and I loved the personal attention given to us by Nancy during the custom fitting.
Excuse me Anir, but who is this US you referring to? Are you still referring to certain body parts in the third person? I told you she had magic hands.

Hope your weekend with Skippy was fun and you learned a lot. Just hope they didn't make you too fast.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe, that was a subliminal slip, aye? I thought I was referring to Nathalie and I, but now I'm not so sure!!

Skip Barber was incredible. After dealing with the 200 lbs of pressure needed to threshold brake in the Formula Dodge car (not to mention, the straight cut gears, double de-clutching, stiff clutch, no power anything), my 993TT suddenly seems very soft, not to mention slow to shift!

I put down a deposit on the 2-day advanced racing school, and am seriously considering the arrive-and-drive RT/2000 regional race series in 2005. I need a bit more seat time first, but I'm hooked. Open wheel racing hits all the right emotional buttons.

Quick Reply: Coolest Racing Suit?