Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grip Factors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matt , can you help me understand something . in jorge segers book he describes "run charts". you have actually produced some here ,like in post #13 . i cant figure out how to make these and the book ,while discussing them,also does not describe how to create these . in your charts you have the per lap data, however the book describes doing this over per session or even per day of a multiple day event .
so with just a regular AIM system can you describe the steps you used to create the run charts above . is it just manually inputing each data point ?
thank you
Old 12-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Having said that, then with the next graph showing Lat G Max over lap times there seems to be some much bigger peaks after about Lap 12. Nevertheless, for a car on that rubber you're seeing some impressive peak numbers. I realise that peak isn't the be all and end all and can sometimes be from skewed information, they're still high with that under consideration. Have you run the car on grippier rubber than the Nittos?

Assuming you're using the shock pots for the Aero reads but how do you correlate this to a G factor scale?
The car is pretty developed, so it moves along alright. Not lots of motor, but it does produce good grip. I haven't run anything stickier in quiet a while. We drive way too much to buy Hoosiers!

There is no shock pot data in the aero grip factor.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cetom
matt , can you help me understand something . in jorge segers book he describes "run charts". you have actually produced some here ,like in post #13 . i cant figure out how to make these and the book ,while discussing them,also does not describe how to create these . in your charts you have the per lap data, however the book describes doing this over per session or even per day of a multiple day event .
so with just a regular AIM system can you describe the steps you used to create the run charts above . is it just manually inputing each data point ?
thank you
When he talks about over a session, day, or event, he is talking about all the laps from those sessions. The data will be lap data with the X axis being laps and the Y being things like lap time, avg tire temp, avg tire pressure, grip factor, etc.

To make the run charts, you have to create you math channels, then get the lap data you want listed in a Channel Report (avg, max, min, etc). Next, export the Channel Report to Excel and manipulate it how you want. The last step is producing the graph.

Hopefully this makes sense on how to make them and what data to use. Please keep asking questions if it doesn't help.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:43 PM
cetom
Instructor

yes , your explanation is good . it is in fact how i have been doing it but it seemed sort of work intensive ,i was hoping for something easier
you actually raise another interesting issue . as far as i can tell when you export your channel report to excell the "numbers" from the channel report have to be converted to" numbers" that exell can work with . i believe this is because the numbers in the channel report are actually written ,as far as excell is concerned, as text . it is easy to do but sort of a pain . i wonder if in rs3 this is "fixed" so the conversion doesnt have to take place
as always thanks for the conversation
Old 12-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Caddell
Instructor

yes , your explanation is good . it is in fact how i have been doing it but it seemed sort of work intensive ,i was hoping for something easier
you actually raise another interesting issue . as far as i can tell when you export your channel report to excell the "numbers" from the channel report have to be converted to" numbers" that exell can work with . i believe this is because the numbers in the channel report are actually written ,as far as excell is concerned, as text . it is easy to do but sort of a pain . i wonder if in rs3 this is "fixed" so the conversion doesnt have to take place
Yes I will bring up fixing the Excel export with the software writers but... maybe even better is if we include the final graphs our users want? That is the ultimate goal for RS3 Analysis, that in most cases a user will not need/desire to leave the software to get what they want!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Caddell
Yes I will bring up fixing the Excel export with the software writers but... maybe even better is if we include the final graphs our users want? That is the ultimate goal for RS3 Analysis, that in most cases a user will not need/desire to leave the software to get what they want!
Cetom beat me to the chase! I have a list of things (it's not very long) to talk to you about next week and that is one of them! The times that are exported from the channel report are also not easily used.

As we've emailed, I have some really good info to show you that I think will help a lot. I'm really excited for what is coming and I think AiM will be leading the charge.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll shoot you an email with a macro to do the conversion. Takes about 30 seconds, but not having to do it would be even better!

The process is pretty quick if you set up your math channels and the channel report. Then save the channel report as a profile. That way whenever you want to do this, you can just click that profile and you're ready to do the Excel Export. Once you do the Excel Export, you can cut and paste that into a template spreadsheet that then just updates the graphs.

Roger is (or at least was) a proponent of downloading all the session from a day as one data file. If you do that, it makes it quicker and easier to do larger session analysis.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

where do the aero inputs come from?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark kibort
where do the aero inputs come from?
Same process as the other measurements. It's based on Gsum but then filtered for high speed and for a certain lateral G load when aero would play an affect.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

That sort of has me crossing my eyes trying to figure out how that is extrapolated and applied.
Further, what conclusions can be drawn from the Aero ratings?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That sort of has me crossing my eyes trying to figure out how that is extrapolated and applied.
Further, what conclusions can be drawn from the Aero ratings?
For my car - not much. It's got no aero. For a car with some aero, it will show how the aero changes cause the performance envelope to increase or decrease.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So coming into a mid speed corner as the downforce starts to take effect we could then see how that influences the lateral G loading in that corner? I'd imagine you'd need a control figure without the Aero to quantify? I'd think the shock pots would be totally necessary. Not trying to be difficult, just curious.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Actually what would be interesting is when changing Wing attack angles and see how much this changes not only downforce but g's. Match that with speed gains/losses due to drag could come up with some interesting results.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 PM
cetom
Instructor

thanks matt
i am glad you mentioned the AIM "time" thing . back in june i asked asked a question on rennlist about this . AIM reports a lap time of,for example, 2 minutes and 12 seconds as 2.12 . this makes writing math channels and exporting to excell cumbersome and non-intuitive . i hope rs3 can fix this .
i do have to say that i reviewed rogers video on rs3 set up . there seem to be some really nice new features such as being able to set parameters for AIM to start logging . this whole new AIM thing will be fun to learn
Old 12-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Make a math channel that is "time()" and then use the max in a channel report. That will give you time in second (ss.xx). It only gives two decimal places, but that is better than a time you can't use.

Quick Reply: Grip Factors