Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo RR tires for racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We did a lot of testing with the RR's during the switchover. They were 1.5-2 sec per lap faster for us over the RA-1. All the lap records were decimated in the first visit to a particular track.

They like more camber than the RA-1 - we moved from -3.5 to -4.0 front, and -2 to 2.5 to -2.5 to 3 on the 944's. Too little camber would cord the outside edge pretty quickly.

We did 4 back to back, one session to the next comparisons with 18 heat cycle RR's and stickers. They did fall off with 20+ HC, and cord soon thereafter. While the old tires took longer to come up to speed, and were a little less forgiving, we were fractionally faster on the 18 HC tires each time. Close enough to call it a wash, but definitely not slower in a single, max-attack lap. This was done by two very consistent, national championship level drivers.

Our cars are light, but use small rims and tires. Your results may vary, but the compound seems consistent.

We also ran the same size BFG R1's for enduros on the same car, same weekend, same driver for enduros (more contingencies this way). We found these to be about a wash to the RR's, but more prone to chatter at the limit - a little less friendly to drive. On caveat is that we did not dial in the suspension for the R1's, so there may be something to be gained there, with pyrometer testing and tweaking.

I think the RR is very close to the R1 (not the R1S). Our limited experience with trying Hoosiers showed them to be faster, but did not last one whole 3 hour enduro, so we gave up on them. I don't have much direct comparison experience with the Hankooks. I ran them once years ago in the 944 Cup Nationals, and liked them. They were also about 1.5 to 2 seconds quicker than the RA-1's at Mid-Ohio. This was the old C-50 compound Z214.

The new Maxxis RC-1 with a slick tread and 6/32nds tread may be the "new RA-1".
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RR is a faster tire than the Maxxis. If you want to win DE Maxxis will be the tire. Not that it's not decent, it's just not intended for racing.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In a Spec class, outright speed matters less than cost, and consistency, and communication/drivability. Hoosiers were always faster than RA-1's, but Spec racers loved the RA-1. Too bad it's become so expensive these days, especially after shaving.

THe RC-1 is not the right tire for the OP in his class, and the RR may be a good option for him - it has a good balance of speed and longevity.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

^ agreed, I liked the RA1s and they make a pretty decent rain tire but they are not legal for SPB if it's dry and they want to be scuffed up before you run them in the wet. The only way to do that legally is a T&T day or a DE. Kind of goes against the spirit of a low cost spec tire.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm assuming the RR's like an on track heat cycle to break them in and increase longevity.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Tim, try Joe Specht at Treadzone,

Joe Specht [JSpecht@cjtire.com]

They don't even show them on the site but he rounded up a set for me for a yearly enduro that we do at NPR in a pinch before, http://www.treadzone.com/

T. Simon
Old 12-04-2014, 01:22 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Tim, try Joe Specht at Treadzone,

Joe Specht [JSpecht@cjtire.com]

They don't even show them on the site but he rounded up a set for me for a yearly enduro that we do at NPR in a pinch before, http://www.treadzone.com/

T. Simon
Treadzone is not much of a Motorsports dealer anymore.....we have whatever you need. Not too mention all our Toyo's are shipped free. We can heat cycle them also if you need, $10 per tire.

Last edited by philstireservice; 12-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Doesn't seem like any/many of these aforementioned tyres are available in larger eg 305/18" sizes though?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:41 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

I went through two sets of them for DE events on my 2011 M3, running in advanced. The car was about 3600lb, had suspension work, and I ran -2.5° camber in front and -2.0° in the rear.

The RRs were great. I tried them after going through four sets of Nitto NT01s. The RRs were noticeably stickier than the Nittos. They only lasted about half as long as the Nittos, but they wore evenly and communicated when driven near the limit. Only caveat, which was mentioned above, is the risk of tread surface separation if the tires aren't mounted in the appropriate orientation (despite the fact that, like Hoosiers, they're symmetric and non-directional).

See link:
http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...mmendation.pdf
Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I went through two sets of them for DE events on my 2011 M3, running in advanced. The car was about 3600lb, had suspension work, and I ran -2.5° camber in front and -2.0° in the rear.

The RRs were great. I tried them after going through four sets of Nitto NT01s. The RRs were noticeably stickier than the Nittos. They only lasted about half as long as the Nittos, but they wore evenly and communicated when driven near the limit. Only caveat, which was mentioned above, is the risk of tread surface separation if the tires aren't mounted in the appropriate orientation (despite the fact that, like Hoosiers, they're symmetric and non-directional).

See link:
http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...mmendation.pdf
If by chance they are mounted on the car in the wrong position they can placed in the correct position on the car and the tread splice closes up.

BFG's and Hoosiers are made exactly the same way the Toyo RR's are. It's a common race tire manufacturing process of applying the tread - butt splice.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:53 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm assuming the RR's like an on track heat cycle to break them in and increase longevity.
They sure do. Scrub them in and let sit for 12-24hrs.

Quick Reply: Toyo RR tires for racing