2015 F1 - flip a coin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I was under the impression that the engines were capable of much higher revs but were merely limited by the fuel flow rate.
You are correct sir.

Please pardon the slur.

It is the ******* of the FIA trying to kiss up to the Environmentalists.

This part of F1 makes me very angry. It is as bad as Bernie pandering to Banana Republics and Dictators.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
You are correct sir.

Please pardon the slur.

It is the ******* of the FIA trying to kiss up to the Environmentalists.

This part of F1 makes me very angry. It is as bad as Bernie pandering to Banana Republics and Dictators.
I've pretty much given up on the F1 we all used to know. The FIA, a Euro based sanctioning body is more interested in social change than sport or even entertainment. F1, being a Euro based series, is going the way of Europe as a whole and is beyond the realm of just sport.

Part of the big picture is the climate change push in Europe with Germany's Mercel calling for a lot more electric cars than fossil fuel cars in the near future. Also, just read that the big drop in oil prices has a lot to do with companies devesting themselves of oil plays because they believe that the oil in the ground will be "stranded" because of increased carbon and emission limitations mandated by governments. Formula E was just the tip of the iceberg as it relates to the future of open wheel racing.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Good luck at the Mac board meeting Thursday...
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Based on the testing after Abu Dhabi I think Honda is going to have the same teething problems all the other teams did in the 2014 season. I think Honda will start off better than Renault but I still think there will be some ramp up time.
100% agree that Honda will have issues for at least the first half of the season. The packaging is very important, and it takes time to develop a marriage between chassis and engine in F1. It's ONE reason why Mercedes engine cars are not always as fast as the Mercedes team themselves.

I also want to add that if people believe that teams have NOT been developing their next engines during the engine freeze, those people need their head checked. You can develop it, you just can test it or race it... I am confident Ferrari and Renault have evolution engines almost ready to go, while Honda is still developing their first try...

It will be a development year for McLaren, Honda, and that guy who used to drive for Ferrari... not Massa, the other one...
Old 12-04-2014, 03:41 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

So the McLaren Board met and did not announce a driver lineup. This does not bode well for everyone involved. Money, specifically drivers salaries seem to be a sticking point. Alonso is reportedly being paid $40 Million and Button was paid 1/2 that this year. So again Alonso and is FEMA's are putting McLaren off to a bad start. Magnussen was paid less than $1 million yet scored 1/2 of the points Button scored. So I wonder. How is this. Going to turn out.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

So again Alonso and is FEMA's are putting McLaren off to a bad start. Magnussen was paid less than $1 million yet scored 1/2 of the points Button scored. So I wonder. How is this. Going to turn out.
It's really hard to ascribe a dollar figure to a championship point. For example, if Magnussen had scored as many points as Button, they would have beaten Ferrari in the constructors standings. There's the increase in money from finishing higher, but also the intangible value of beating Ferrari. Magnussen brings youth, Jenson brings experience and marketability. If I was in charge, I'd pick Jenson. He'll partner well with Alonso and he's basically half Japanese which would play really well with Honda. I think he'd be better for car development and bring in more points than Kevin would. His drawbacks are that he's got less time left in the sport and he costs more money.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Plus Button has real experience in helping to develop a winning car. Just ask Ross Brawn. I am willing to bet Button would be willing to take a pay cut, a small pay cut, to make things work. He is that kinda guy.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Plus Button has real experience in helping to develop a winning car. Just ask Ross Brawn. I am willing to bet Button would be willing to take a pay cut, a small pay cut, to make things work. He is that kinda guy.
Wow, clueless as always. The winning Brawn was all about blown diffuser and coming out of the gates with a rule bending technology that others took time to develop. Button had very little to do with development. You can spin it anyway you like, since you are set in seeing things your way no matter what the truth might be.
Button wants to stay. Who wouldn't take take a pay cut of their other choice is to leave a sport they dreamt of being a part of from age 4.

On a related note, some people are claiming Mclaren might keep both. Magnussen as their test driver and button along with Alonso as drives. Now that could make sense and give Magnussen a chance to hone his skills further.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
It's really hard to ascribe a dollar figure to a championship point. For example, if Magnussen had scored as many points as Button, they would have beaten Ferrari in the constructors standings. There's the increase in money from finishing higher, but also the intangible value of beating Ferrari. Magnussen brings youth, Jenson brings experience and marketability. If I was in charge, I'd pick Jenson. He'll partner well with Alonso and he's basically half Japanese which would play really well with Honda. I think he'd be better for car development and bring in more points than Kevin would. His drawbacks are that he's got less time left in the sport and he costs more money.
I remember reading somewhere each point is worth approx 1 million.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Wow, clueless as always. The winning Brawn was all about blown diffuser and coming out of the gates with a rule bending technology that others took time to develop. Button had very little to do with development. You can spin it anyway you like, since you are set in seeing things your way no matter what the truth might be.
Button wants to stay. Who wouldn't take take a pay cut of their other choice is to leave a sport they dreamt of being a part of from age 4.

On a related note, some people are claiming Mclaren might keep both. Magnussen as their test driver and button along with Alonso as drives. Now that could make sense and give Magnussen a chance to hone his skills further.
For the record I would be happy with both Button and Alonso being the drivers with Magnussen as test driver. You also forget that Button did a lot of development work for the works Honda / Brawn team.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

What a F'ing cluster... Mac needs to sh*t or get off the pot. Guess it's a good thing John Button isn't around to see this.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

For the record I would be happy with both Button and Alonso being the drivers with Magnussen as test driver. You also forget that Button did a lot of development work for the works Honda / Brawn team.
No, that was not the case. If anything, as the season went on, Brawn lost its advantage over others. If what you claim is true, the advantage would have remained throughout the year. Check and see how many races they won in the 1st half in comparison to the 2nd half that year.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Button won 6 of 7 races to start the season. He never won a race after that. Goes to show the development that took place ...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
What a F'ing cluster... Mac needs to sh*t or get off the pot. Guess it's a good thing John Button isn't around to see this.
Couldn't agree with you more. Here we are a week into December, new engine to be in the chassis and a big meeting in the UK today and after the meeting....... McLaren still has not decided on 2 drivers for 2015.... This on the heels of no title sponsor for the Mclaren cars in 2014... how Ron Dennis is still allowed to run that ship into the ground is beyond me....
Old 12-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your hatred shines again!
On your your hate blinders..
Apologies if I don't let hatred run my life and call it as most here see it.

Maybe I need to ask you, do you get paid to hate Alonso. Were you in love and had your heart broken?
Get a grip.

Out of curiosity I ran a quick search under your use of the word "hate".

The results are revealing......

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=17112213

It certainly seems like the main person filled with "hate" around F1 threads is you. "Hate" apparently for anyone who dare speak ill of Alonso.

The ongoing "hate" rants by you are tiresome. Like it or not Alonso's F1 career is chock full of controversy. So much so that he has a section labeled "Controversies" on his wiki page. Little wonder, not everyone is a fan. Here's a Newsflash, making a judgement on a driver based on his or her actions isn't hate.

Quick Reply: 2015 F1 - flip a coin?