Sponsored by:

Vettel joins Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Trying to hit all bases here. I agree about Vettel not being quite as good as purported, but it has been documented in a very good article that Weber was quite on par with Vettel early on at Red Bull and that the tire change to Pirelli is what ultimately did Weber in. So enough about Webber, he wasn't the bum some of you think that he was.

I think that Vettel has a dream of duplicating what his hero MS did, but he does not have the same skills, nor does he realize that Ferrari has not yet made the commitment to personnel who can accomplish this. No amount of Rah Rah enthusiasm can make up for this. I have seen this many times before where a WDC has gone to another team in search of more glory (or money) only to have his career dwindle behind the wheel of an uncompetitive car. Based on the current set of drivers in the top cars, I think that our boy Vettel probably has shot himself in the foot.
Couldn't agree more Larry on all counts. Webber's travails with the then new tyre isn't dissimilar to Vettel's negative experience with the lower downforce cars of this year.

Vettel should have taken a deep breath and come to terms with the blow to his ego that Ricciardo dealt him this season and stayed put. He has shown that he can be quite fast in the latter part of this year. Another off season and more testing might have him closer to the top for 2015. By joining Ferrari he has at best taken a step sideways but more likely backwards. Depending on how well Honda hit the ground running in 2015 might shake the order up a little but Merc & Williams will still be 1 & 2 next season and RBR + Ferrari will be in the 2nd tier.

It was a shame that RBR got picked on again this season in the last race and DR had to start from the very rear of the pack. If he'd remained at 5th spot on the grid (with his customary poor start!) he might have just about figured on the podium which would have been well deserved. As much as making up 16 places from the rear isn't quite what it seems on paper, it was nevertheless yet another fantastic drive from him. Such a shame they're so underpowered compared to their opposition.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
No-one knows how things will play out next year. We as a forum have been proven wrong so many times in the past. The same things were said about Lewis going to Mercedes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ete-idiot.html
Very true. And I view Vetter leaving RBR in a similar way to Hammy's departure. Vettel has been with RB all his life and he wants to do something different.

That being said, it will not turn out like Hammy's move to Merc unless the regs get changed.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Very true. And I view Vetter leaving RBR in a similar way to Hammy's departure. Vettel has been with RB all his life and he wants to do something different.

That being said, it will not turn out like Hammy's move to Merc unless the regs get changed.
It could be a big engine change in year 2 of Vettel's Ferrari contract if Mercedes plays hardball for 2015.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116886
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Clearly Merc will want to remain the status quo and block any rule changes that will allow the others to catch up on the basis that F1 is the peak of tech therefore whoever designs and builds the best motors should be thus rewarded. Conversely, the others are saying that the costs of development and replacement motors are too high and also the lack of testing allowed isn't sufficient. It will depend on just how big a posse can be formed by the non Merc bunch and how much leverage they can exert. The push is to dumb the motors down a little to make them more attainable for all. Makes sense to some degree. If they continue to allow the costs to spiral further out of control (Merc has spent ~100mill so far) there will be a handful of teams left on the grid.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Vettel considered retiring (sorry for the rough grammar, it was translated from German):

This suggested Vettel talks to auto motor und sport. "Of course you thinking about all sorts of things, when suddenly two cylinders missing if you do not have to restart the car, but as a computer must be re-boot, then you already ask yourself. What has this to do with racing"

Nevertheless, he had decided to continue to drive in Formula 1. Because: "What is the alternative, the cars have become slower, but still the fastest who is it?". That Vettel after this season to Ferrari changes, Vettel would confirm only indirectly again. "I would hope, of course, that I can announce what happens in the future, but right now I have to be patient."

However, Vettel is clear that he needed a new team in time to ride in front again. "I am aware that before me is a big task that takes time. Especially at a time when Mercedes has a huge competitive advantage, "said Vettel.

Vettel decides against easiest solution
A stay at Red Bull would have been the "easiest decision," said Vettel. "Red Bull I know the team, the people, the weaknesses, strengths, since I know the project for the next few years to assess."

Switching to a new team was "a step into the unknown, so also a risk." However, he decided to do so. "I've been thinking the decision well. If I were not convinced to be successful there, I would not have dared. There is also no decision against Red Bull, but for something new."
Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

First day on the job...
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
First day on the job...
That is just weird looking!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 937 Posts

Something for the Vettel fan club...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/04/s...iorano-videos/

Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You forgot the video of Vettel driving the Enzo.

Quick Reply: Vettel joins Ferrari