Sponsored by:

Club Racing a 993RSCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 03:41 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Club Racing a 993RSCS

Looking at options for next year instead of the F class 911. I'm interested in the 993rscs... they appear to be very competitive in C. Mainly, I am wondering how competitive they are in stock form. Will the suspension offer enough tuning options or will more $$ have to go into the car after the initial investment.

I know there are some guys on here who have made 993rscs clones. It looks like i'd have to get a real one imported from Europe, at around roughly $75,000. If the cars are competitive right away, maybe this is the way to go. If not, maybe starting with a stock 993 is better... but you still wouldn't have the value.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Mitch
Old 08-20-2003, 03:49 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know where I can find all the factory specs?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:28 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension in a stock Euro 993 Carrera RS Club sport is the same as a Euro 993 Carrera RS. Which means, not competitive in the top ranks of RCA racing in my opinion. It will have to be ripped out and replaced with something more aggressive.

You might also consider a 993 Cup.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

The factory specs for the RSCS option are detailed in the Service Information Technik manual for the 993 RS models.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:36 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Thanks JC, I apologize... i had thought that the rscs was the RS. The RSCS is the superior car I would assume? I am looking at the 993 Cup, but there aren't many people racing them now with the new 996 Cups around so much. It seems to me that the 993rscs (or RS) are pretty close to the 993 Cup, without the centerlocks and it gets to run in C (with more competition than the 993 cup).

There is also the 964 Cup option. I am also looking at these cars, and it seems to be that some PCA guys have bought the superior Euro 964 cup, mildy made it a 964 US cup (streetcar) and race it in D. However, everyone has different stories on these cars as well. Some are in streetcar form, some are the U.S. cars never converted back into full streetcars (the first 7 of 45?) some are euro cars running as the U.S. cars but with the better euro engine.

Mitch
Old 08-20-2003, 04:40 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

JC, i just checked out your website, it helped a lot! Looks like the 964 carrera cup cars are superior to the U.S. ones that were converted to the streetcars.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The Club SPort is basically ready to race, where the RS is the equivalent of a modern GT3.

There is a good article on the 993RSCS in Excellence. Not sure the date though.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:56 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

The 993 RSCS as you called it is simply a version of the Carrera RS called "Club Sport". It differed from the regular Carrera RS sport model in that it had the more aggressive spoilers, interior fully stripped, electric cutoffs and fire bottle, full Matter roll cage and Nomex Recaro racing seats.

The Cup went one step further, adding centerlock wheels, Cup intake, Cup ECU brain and Cup exhaust, deletion of a few more items in the interior, air jacks, and a few other things that are minor.

Last edited by JC in NY; 08-20-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:57 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MJR911
JC, i just checked out your website, it helped a lot! Looks like the 964 carrera cup cars are superior to the U.S. ones that were converted to the streetcars.
The Euro 964 Carrera Cup car is more or less what the Cup USA car was supposed to look like when they were converted by Andial for the USA Carrera Cup series. I have seen several that have been converted perfectly with the full Matter cage, etc.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
...There is a good article on the 993RSCS in Excellence. Not sure the date though.
If anyone knows what nissue has that, please let me know!

(I have only ~ 3 years back Excellences and I don't remember seeing that article in those).
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

MJR911:

I have a Carrera Cup car and I am helping a friend sell his. These cars are very competitive in stock form for "D" class. They are more rare and very inexpensive to race. Best of all you can still drive them on the street.

My Cup has the standard Cup suspension and factory sway bars. The car has no mods except for the ability to run the 17" turbo cup wheels, they are wider than the ones that came on it. I have race it four times in PCA with podium finishes three of four time. I had tire problem in one of the races which cause a 4th place.

D class usually runs as the top class, which means you have a chance for an overall win.

If you would be interested in a US Carrera Cup, please let me know.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:02 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Hey Jim,
I know your car fairly well, as we met at Sebring. The U.S. Cup cars are awesome cars, a friend has one up here in PA and I was amazed at its capabilities two weekends ago at the glen. If I were to buy one, I think I would want one that is not a garage queen and rather a very well sorted and properly prepared race car. I saw your ad for the US car and it looks like a great streetcar, but would need more $$ to make it a superior race car. For comparison, I have seen the euro cup cars available in europe for the same moeny (incuding import) and they are more race ready, but would still need some investment to run in D (instead of gtc-1).

Of course, if we didn't just buy a new boxster, maybe we'd have enough funds to take that beautiful 996 cup car off your hands. I see Dave Donohue a few times a year, and he had great things to say about that car.
Since we do have the boxster, there is no appeal to the cup cars being street legal.
What are the specs on the 996 cup car? Is it an '01 or has it been further updated?

Mitch
Old 08-21-2003, 11:08 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Jim- What are your thoughts on the different classes... i.e. stock vs gtc-3?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:18 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

The car US Carrera Cup I have on the rennlist is a great car that would only need a couple of changes to make it legal in GTC1, but don't discount it, for the money it would be a better car than the euro Cups. I say that becuase it has never been damaged and the motor still has the tamper seals.

I have given alot of thought to different race classes over the years and have raced in many different classes including "J" stock through GT1R. All have their plus and minuses.

The "D" class is a very competitive class, although, believe it not, there is cheating going on..... I bought the 01 Cup car to race in GTC3 and did some testing with the car. I think, and I could be wrong, the GTC3 class could provide a better platform for fairness. I would hope that the people in these classes are depending more on their skill than their ability to cheat. With that said, there are some people in this class that are taking the "rule book" lightly as in every class.

The biggest negative, the initial dollars are higher in GTC3 and the dollars at the track are higher, i.e. slicks vs. DOTs and such.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:24 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

I totally hear you Jim. I was thinking more of taking a euro car and making it into a D class car, rather than the other way around. There seems to be little competition in gtc-1, but cheating in most every class. I hope to overcome that with superior driving one day soon, and my father is happy to have fun mid-pack presently.

I was thinking the euro cups would already have cages, better suspension and the motors are listed as having a bit more power. But I am no expert.

I agree with your thoughts on gtc-3. Very fast, qualified drivers. However, i guess there is little from keeping someone from running the motorsport upgraded motor in the class.

Mitch

Quick Reply: Club Racing a 993RSCS