Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

And from yesterday.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Keep the good work
Old 12-21-2014, 01:47 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 6GT3 Cage

Are you planning to install a "knee bar" to connect the A pillars? I caged a 6GT3 exactly like yours and absolutely LOVED racing that car. I crashed hard at Road Atlanta. Had I to do it over again I would have added that A pillar to A pillar cross member and gone through the dash to the front suspension pick-up points, connecting also those L to R under the trunk (same as the 2002-2003 GT3RS race cars). IMHO, this would have saved my J car from being scrapped.

FWIW, I went to a GS car after the GT3 demise and then bought a 996 Cup.....the best car decision I have ever made.

just my 01 cents worth. Good luck, looks like a great build and you will have a BLAST racing/DE-ing it.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Looking good Francois! Christmas came early for you.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
Are you planning to install a "knee bar" to connect the A pillars? I caged a 6GT3 exactly like yours and absolutely LOVED racing that car. I crashed hard at Road Atlanta. Had I to do it over again I would have added that A pillar to A pillar cross member and gone through the dash to the front suspension pick-up points, connecting also those L to R under the trunk (same as the 2002-2003 GT3RS race cars). IMHO, this would have saved my J car from being scrapped.

FWIW, I went to a GS car after the GT3 demise and then bought a 996 Cup.....the best car decision I have ever made.

just my 01 cents worth. Good luck, looks like a great build and you will have a BLAST racing/DE-ing it.
Thanks for the insight Scott. Not planning to install a knee bar at the moment as I will stick to this stock RSS (?) cage that I bought used.

I have not cut up the car or made anything irreversible so far in the build, save for a few drilled holes for mounting the cage and stuff. I started the project wanting to be able to go back to "street car" in the future but, to be honest, I don't think that that's going to happen, so maybe in a next phase I might go further, to a custom welded cage.

Will be racing in stock/prepared class and, per the rules, the cage must "remain within the passenger compartment" so going to the front suspension pick-up points is not an option.

Yes Dave, Christmas came early in the form of a project that is keeping me busy, read not-bored, and that is teaching me a lot about these fine cars of ours. I have to force myself to go to bed at night otherwise I would just keep going. Went til 02:00 on Friday night.

Sorry to those who subscribed to the original thread as this is turning into a build thread, cause
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi, you may want to move the transponder more forward, most forward postion wins, also should have a clear shot to the ground , best signal pick for track to pick up. Custom Cage , most certainly .
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
Hi, you may want to move the transponder more forward, most forward postion wins, also should have a clear shot to the ground, best signal pick for track to pick up.
+1

Custom Cage, most certainly.
+100
Old 12-21-2014, 09:34 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Hi, you may want to move the transponder more forward, most forward postion wins, also should have a clear shot to the ground , best signal pick for track to pick up. Custom Cage , most certainly .
Thanks Ernie, I was wondering about the transponder (search returned no info). Not much real estate forward, but I should be able to move it back and down a bit so it has clear air underneath (if that's important?).

Know anyone that builds cages

I was going to ask you to modify the door bars so that I wouldn't have to cut up my own doors before I found these two Boxster doors.

Rough cut (I might even be able to use the stock Boxster inside handles)
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you at an event soon. Glad you finally jumped.

Stu
Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Stu, my friends are on my case to do the Sebring 48 Hours, but I don't think that that's going to happen. Realistically, goal is Monticello in May.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking forward to the 48. 18 cars in my class currently. Nice group of J's for you and you will be very fast. Try and and make it. If not see you maybe at VIR.

Stu
Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I was wondering about the transponder (search returned no info). Not much real estate forward, but I should be able to move it back and down a bit so it has clear air underneath (if that's important?).
It doesn't work like a lap timer that triggers outward. The race transponder at start/finish sends a signal across the surface of the track. Your transponder needs clear air underneath to trigger that signal.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Astroman
It doesn't work like a lap timer that triggers outward. The race transponder at start/finish sends a signal across the surface of the track. Your transponder needs clear air underneath to trigger that signal.
Thanks a gazillion! I wish they had said that in the mounting instructions.

I will relocate it but now have 4 extra holes in the tub, sheesh.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 408 Posts

looking forward to seeing you and your car at Mosport in the spring. keep working.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to another J car. Good luck. My car is in storage could help in a few weeks if needed.

Quick Reply: Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?