Sponsored by:

Exotics Racing Las Vegas review

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
So, in essence, they only addressed the helmet issue, saying it's for communication purposes (something easily solved with a helmet comm set), and ignored all other points. I think it's my last time spending my money there.
With your experience as an instructor, I would think you would be a little more sympathetic of the instructors. How many complete clowns do you think these guys have to get in the car with every day?

Frankly, if I was an instructor at this facility, and I had somebody show up with their own helmet and proclaiming their years of experience, I would be more inclined (not less) to use a short leash. When you are instructing, how do you approach an unknown student driving a 500hp exotic supercar?

And do you really need a full face helmet to drive somebody else's $400K closed cockpit car around a small track in Vegas?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
With your experience as an instructor, I would think you would be a little more sympathetic of the instructors. How many complete clowns do you think these guys have to get in the car with every day?

Frankly, if I was an instructor at this facility, and I had somebody show up with their own helmet and proclaiming their years of experience, I would be more inclined (not less) to use a short leash. When you are instructing, how do you approach an unknown student driving a 500hp exotic supercar?

And do you really need a full face helmet to drive somebody else's $400K closed cockpit car around a small track in Vegas?
I learned as a 10 year old If you bragged about your experience in the saddle they made sure you got the nag.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I never "bragged about my experience in the saddle". As a a matter of fact, I never told anyone about it until AFTER the fact. You just assumed I did. As to "being sympathetic to the instructors"- as an instructor, within 1 lap you usually know who you're dealing with. I do realize they must deal with a ton of clowns on a daily basis. But I wasn't one of them. My video is there for all to see. Tell me if I did anything that would "scare you off" as an instructor.

Second, wanting to use my helmet was based on familiarity and comfort issues. Being a CF helmet, it's significantly lighter, also I know it fits me, and it hasn't been sweated on by 1,000 strangers before.

I thought that you guys would be a little more sympathetic in this forum. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by jbossolo; 12-15-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought that you guys would be a little more sympathetic in this forum.
???

Nah, not here.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all, I never "bragged about my experience in the saddle". As a a matter of fact, I never told anyone about it until AFTER the fact. You just assumed I did. As to "being sympathetic to the instructors"- as an instructor, within 1 lap you usually know who you're dealing with. I do realize they must deal with a ton of clowns on a daily basis. But I wasn't one of them. My video is there for all to see. Tell me if I did anything that would "scare you off" as an instructor.

Second, wanting to use my helmet was based on familiarity and comfort issues. Being a CF helmet, it's significantly lighter, also I know it fits me, and it hasn't been sweated on by 1,000 strangers before.

I thought that you guys would be a little more sympathetic in this forum. Guess I was wrong.
I think that they should adapt more to the client's talent level, as you said. It's fairly obvious if you're dealing with a clown vs someone who's competent.
+1000 on the sweaty helmet comment. I'd rather use my own stuff too.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

I think that they should adapt more to the client's talent level, as you said. It's fairly obvious if you're dealing with a clown vs someone who's competent.
+1000 on the sweaty helmet comment. I'd rather use my own stuff too.
Thank you.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

+1 on the helmet! I even bring my own to the local kart rental place people laugh at me, but that's ok! Always hard when you do these kind if events to figure out how skilled the drivers are? I would be scared to death working as an instructor at such a place! I don't think anyone at RL doubts your ability to handle cars of that caliber but every guy that shows up thinks he is Ayrton Senna!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Indeed. What gets me are the immediate assumptions stated-

Frankly, if I was an instructor at this facility, and I had somebody show up with their own helmet and proclaiming their years of experience, I would be more inclined (not less) to use a short leash.
I learned as a 10 year old If you bragged about your experience in the saddle they made sure you got the nag.
Funny, I don't recall seeing either one of them there that day.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Agreed on bringing your own helmet -- sweat buckets should be personal.

As mentioned earlier, it can be hard for an instructor at these commercial ventures to properly assess who is competent or not, but if a guy brings his own racing helmet, which more times than not have identification of sanctioning body stickers on them (PCA club racing has them) it's easier to assess someone who has experience vs. the playstation hero.

I'm seriously going to consider this next time I'm in Vegas. Where else can you drive these things on a track even if it's a bit controlled.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:04 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Just booked a 22-lap "extreme experience" with a Ferrari GT430 racecar at Dream Racing. Will report later.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

That prattling would drive me insane! Wouldn't do it just for that reason.

Last edited by 333pg333; 01-25-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just booked a 22-lap "extreme experience" with a Ferrari GT430 racecar at Dream Racing. Will report later.
Just got back from doing this with Dream Racing and it was amazing and was able to drive this car to it's ability. Had a great instructor that was happy to push me and look for improved times. Data downloads were also really helpful to discuss areas where I could improve speed, line by looking mostly at steering angle to get the most out of the track and car.

What a great machine. Would do it again.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Trying to delete duplicate post here
Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric S
Just got back from doing this with Dream Racing and it was amazing and was able to drive this car to it's ability. Had a great instructor that was happy to push me and look for improved times. Data downloads were also really helpful to discuss areas where I could improve speed, line by looking mostly at steering angle to get the most out of the track and car.

What a great machine. Would do it again.
Costs?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Thanks, Eric. Looking forward to it.

Costs?
Around $1800 in my case.

Quick Reply: Exotics Racing Las Vegas review