Report: Audi will drop Le Mans program, join Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Default Report: Audi will drop Le Mans program, join Formula 1

Someone from VAG needs to be in F1, I hope this is true.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/r...?src=soc_fcbks

Audi has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans outright 13 out of the last 15 times—a staggering accomplishment. As the Audi dynasty piled up wins, critics wondered when the company might rest on its laurels. According to Auto Express, that time may be upon is. Audi may abandon both LMP1 and DTM to take a stab at the highest form of motorsport: Formula 1.

The report says key Audi insiders revealed that the company is developing a 1.6-liter turbocharged V6 and eyes one of the Red Bull teams—Red Bull Racing or Scuderia Toro Rosso—as its toehold in the sport. Buying an established team makes sense, as that would provide invaluable institutional experience and ease the growing pains of a new squad in the process.

The report points out that the German automaker has strong ties to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns Red Bull, and Volkswagen's ties with the energy drink company are real and substantial. Take WRC, where the two are joined at the hip in that series. A Volkswagen Group engine would be a more natural fit than the Red Bull RB10's current Renault powerplant.

The strongest evidence, however, is Audi’s hiring of Stefano Domenicali, who stepped down as Ferrari's F1 director earlier this year. Why else recruit Domenicali—who has no experience relevant to any of Audi's other racing programs—except as a Formula 1 consultant or team manager?

As we reported in May, Porsche’s Wolfgang Hatz revealed that the company first plotted its return to top-level racing back in 2010. There was a discussion about Hatz’s squad joining F1, but Volkswagen execs instead opted to run both Audi and Porsche in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

About half a year later, the FIA released their engine regulations for the new V6 turbo cars. It’s entirely possible that Volkswagen was aware of the upcoming regulations, decided then that Audi would begin transitioning into F1, and thus allowed Porsche to begin an LMP1 project to take up the parent company’s mantle in WEC.

Here's something else to consider: it's possible that Audi has been building and testing a 1.6-liter F1 engine in R18 mules since 2010. Many still suspect that turbocharged LaFerrari was actually a testbed for Maranello’s F1 engine, skirting rules about testing restrictions. Imagine what a camouflaged Audi LMP1 prototype could hide right out in the open. Perhaps the engine for a secret Audi F1 car?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This could get VERY interesting. Maybe Alonso knows something we don't?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Seeing the success of the ol' three-pointed star, it seems...
Old 10-24-2014, 11:29 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
This could get VERY interesting. Maybe Alonso knows something we don't?
Ya think?

The only thing is that Freddy "needs" to win another championship so the development time might cut against his goal. But has anybody heard from Ross Brawn? Having him design an Audi F1 car for Freddy makes more sense than going back to Ron Dennis.

Domenicali and Freddy get along. Very important in winning.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

This could be a very fun thing to watch. Renault out, Audi in, Redbull making a comeback.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

It all makes sense and the Germans are usually big on logic and reason. Interesting if this is more than just a rumor.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

this is fantastic development if it all comes to pass........Brawn made Button a champion imagine what he could do Freddy
Old 10-27-2014, 07:56 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Would be surprised if it happens. Audi is closing in on Porsche's record for all time overall Le Mans wins - can't see them leaving until they get to 17. Technology transfer is far more relevant in WEC than in F1. The cars are the stars in sports car racing - no better way to market the brand. More manufacturers entering sports car racing - Nissan being the latest. Hoping Audi stays where there at!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting info...I would like them to join F1..just to be last on the grid. Examples of BMW, Toyota, Ford (Cosworth) should have been enough evidence..

But let them go ahead..Renault and Mercedes have years of experience here..to catch up, and to overtake..will be very very difficult.

I wanna see the faces in Stuttgart and Ingolstadt if 919 and Audi F1 "cant deliver" on the racetrack..and the 919 has by far the highest budget in the WEC..
Old 10-27-2014, 04:58 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wouldn't be shocked.

Once VW bought Porsche, I always wondered what would happen to the Audi Sports car program. Corporate strategy would argue that you don't spend millions of Euros beating yourself.

Porsche clearly has the better credentials to carry the VWG flag at LeMans, and Audi, to put the crown on with F1. Just good market segmentation.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Wouldn't be shocked.

Once VW bought Porsche, I always wondered what would happen to the Audi Sports car program. Corporate strategy would argue that you don't spend millions of Euros beating yourself.

Porsche clearly has the better credentials to carry the VWG flag at LeMans, and Audi, to put the crown on with F1. Just good market segmentation.
Agreed. Fielding two teams in the same arena seems counter productive. Audi would be a good choice, but I thought they might have gone with Lamborghini, though that is more Italian sounding. Maybe even do an Audi engine in a Lamborghini or Bugatti chassis. They've got a lot of brands that could benefit from Formula 1 association... just none that are German except Audi or Porsche.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Agreed. Fielding two teams in the same arena seems counter productive. Audi would be a good choice, but I thought they might have gone with Lamborghini, though that is more Italian sounding. Maybe even do an Audi engine in a Lamborghini or Bugatti chassis. They've got a lot of brands that could benefit from Formula 1 association... just none that are German except Audi or Porsche.
They should field an F1 team with Skoda and Seat.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ug, I hope this isn't true. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I LOVE Audi, and I LOVE what they do with endurance racing. And I'll take endurance racing over the dog and pony show that is F1 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. F1 is a marketing force. Endurance racing is an engineering force.

Former engineer with an OEM (engines w/ Ford). Endurance racing is so appealing because it highly stresses the three big things you strive for as an engineer - performance, fuel economy, and durability. No other form of racing combines requirements for all 3 to that degree. Audi has taken the technology from the race car and let it trickle down to the street cars. F1 is way too expensive for it to serve as a technology test bed. You aren't going to see pneumatic valve springs, for example, in street cars any time soon at all.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Not saying its not true, but this is highly illogical.
Why didn't Porsche join F1 and leave Audi to duke it out for first with Toyota in WEC?
That way only one marque would have had to start from scratch. Now two will, assuming the F1 rumor is true. That's a lot of time, money and failure before and if, winning takes place.

As I see it, leaving Porsche to get schooled by Toyota in WEC, while Audi is mid-pack in F1 is not great marketing.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche already tried F1, it was errr, not good of the two Audi is better placed to move into F1..

Quick Reply: Report: Audi will drop Le Mans program, join Formula 1