Sponsored by:

Full Scale Windtunnel

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Brumos GTD car in the Aerodyne tunnel. $495/hour with two hour minimum.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-30-2014, 01:51 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Of course you can raise and lower ride height or adjust a rear wing if you have that option, but it would be wise to have more changes available if you're going to make a day of it. Well maybe half a day...couple of hours perhaps...
There is a lot to be learned by simply mapping ride height versus downforce and drag, particularly in response to the movement of each end of the car. Knowing what sensitivities your particular vehicle has makes it much easier to go after changes of the most benefit.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

love the close up of the wing end plates. doing their job. keeping the vortex from circling back around and spoiling lift in the wing end area.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ernie can you please post video from the day
Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry we didnt shoot video. Have pictures, have results, only a few Porsche guys showed up to watch and see. Do have video from past testing will post after I get back from Sebring, testing of car with mods done. We managed to find the sweet spots for balanced downforce/drag , splitter mods, rear wing placements. . Really happy as I worked on the car for week of prepp for the tests. We will be at the PRI show with the Cayman.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
Sorry we didnt shoot video. Have pictures, have results, only a few Porsche guys showed up to watch and see. Do have video from past testing will post after I get back from Sebring, testing of car with mods done. We managed to find the sweet spots for balanced downforce/drag , splitter mods, rear wing placements. . Really happy as I worked on the car for week of prepp for the tests. We will be at the PRI show with the Cayman.
This is definitely on my bucket list to do. Please share whatever results you can share.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:56 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

were able to measure the downforce at various degrees of angle on rear wing?
were dive planes effective
a rear defuser used? helpful
Sorry Ernie for all the questions...
what weight are you down to in the Cayman/
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
can we see the results????
Old 11-02-2014, 11:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
There is a lot to be learned by simply mapping ride height versus downforce and drag, particularly in response to the movement of each end of the car. Knowing what sensitivities your particular vehicle has makes it much easier to go after changes of the most benefit.
True, but I think it would make more use of the time if you have the ability to make other changes if possible. eg End plates on wings and splitters could be easy enough.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We tested 3 cars, so we were busy. Now getting ready to go to Sebring and actually run two of the cars. Did we have time to test everything you guys mentioned no. Test results, Brion may post them, I will be travelling to Sebring wednesday. I am , as of sunday tweaking the cars from what we learned. All are welcome to book time in tunnel, just contact me.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

This weekend we tested 3 different cars with a total of 12 different configurations, including wickers at speeds of 100kph, 140kph, 180kph and 220kph for each configuration in the ACE wind tunnel at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. All of the aero forces were measured in pounds, in real time, at the tire contact patches, and in three axis (vertical, fore-aft, left-right). The % change in chassis pitch and roll was tracked as well.

After spending most of the day in the UOIT wind tunnel, here’s what we concluded. First, anything affects everything else. Second, getting Front down force is a lot more difficult than adding Rear down force. Specifically we found that by increasing the AOA of a GT3 Cup wing by a few positions, the Rear down force was increased, Drag was increased and Front down force was slightly reduced. No surprises there. But by running the wing at its original, more neutral AOA and simply adding a wicker, we had the same measured down force with far less of an increase in drag. We were running an extended front splitter and as the Rear down force was increased, we saw a reduction in the Front down force. We changed the chassis angle of attack (adding rake) and brought the Front and Rear down force values back into a better balance with a negligible increase in drag. We found similar results using a variety of wicker heights in a second car and a third car with a fixed wing We also tested the cooling efficiency of a car with a reduced front air intake. The air intake had been dramatically reduced to increase measured front down force. The car was “driven” in the tunnel at 6000 rpm loaded for over 5 minutes at a wind speed of 160kph to see if it would overheat or not. It didn’t.

The Motorsports Research facility at UOIT will be available in 2015 at competitive rates. Contact me (brion@bbxracing.com) or Ernie (ernie@mantissport.ca) if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Full Scale Windtunnel