Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going 136mph min. through a 90o turn!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014 | 04:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

On our 2nd and final lap as it turns out, Paul tries to drive with more linearity to work around the lack of grip. (Fast fwd to 4:40 mark.) It's slower by a few tenths. Note the white car in front. This won our class. See when were pretty close behind him leading onto the straight...then see him disappear. 800hp will do that! Amazing that we were even close. He finished a second quicker than us but we're sure we could have got close or won had we been able to compete the whole event.

Also to note all the cars that finished ahead of us were more modern AWD cars with 4 valve twin cam heads and Sequential Transmissions. Twin A Arm suspension would be nice to have too. Clearly a lot more potential in this car. Just need that winning lottery ticket!

Old 10-21-2014 | 04:14 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Almost 250 KM/h in a car with out of round tires on the first hot lap is pretty serious commitment! He's really getting shaken in there. Good luck with the rebuild. There's pretty obvious potential there!
Old 10-21-2014 | 04:27 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I do drive it Carlos but the lead up for this event has been long and sometimes tortuous. Paul is just younger and faster than me plus has tons more experience. So when I drive it I haven't been going 10/10ths in the attempt to bring it back to the pits in the same form that it left.

Unfortunately due to the dry sump pulley shearing in half, (being replaced by a better one on same day that Paul had to go and machine himself!) then the crank pulley shearing off from the motor hours later*, we can only surmise that there has been some top end damage. We probably have a bit of scoring on the bores due to the previous headgasket issues, so a rebuild is in sight. In which case the 16v motor is looking very tempting but a severe lack of funds will slow progress for now. Point being that I wanted to use next season to have more fun myself and we're possibly going to move to slicks for club events. Need to break more records next year!

*As an event it went down like a Hollywood script for us. We were teetering on it being a happy ending, but finished horrible instead. Despite all signs of success leading into it we were toast from before we even got there. Just didn't know it. The wrong CV's were sent by the Drive Shaft shop. So had to use backup ones that we knew would probably fail. They did. Prior to that I had both sets of new tyres heat treated and shaved. They turned out to be not round and out of balance. While they were able to balance them at the track, they were not much better. They gave us a new set of green tyres but by then we'd lost day 1. Still on the back of Paul's amazing 1st lap with no rear grip and tyres shaking his fillings out, we were still sitting in P2 over night. We thought with the new rubber we could have a crack in the Go session the next morning. This is typically where everyone has sorted their cars out, straps on new rubber, winds up the boost to 11 and goes for it. So we did the same. But coming out of that first corner Paul is struck by the blazing oil pressure lights. So he coasts to a stop and we get him back to the pits to find the dry sump pulley has sheared itself in half. We pull the front of the car off to get to it and Paul makes the decision to drive across town to his workshop and machine up a new one. An improvement on the one supplied. This through Saturday morning traffic. Some hours later he returns and we've lost another vital session. Last session is coming up very soon. We need to be out there. So they re assemble the car and we go off to get it weighed. Noticing the motor now idling high we find a 4" tear in one of the welds in the intake!!! 10 mins to go before last session for us. Paul rips the intake off and races through the crowd in his race suit looking for a vendor stand with a welder. Finds one and hurriedly seals it up and re attaches it to the motor. At this time I'm up in the control tower pleading with them to let us run in a following group. Not holding much faith I was surprised when they relented.

So out he goes for the first time since yesterday morning. Down the main straight for our chance at redemption and climb back up the leader board to ensure our place in the top 5 and make the evening's shootout session. Through T1 and the engine dies. Crank pulley shears in half. Game over!

To rub salt into the wound there was a protest on the 3rd place car which was upheld. So we were in 3rd and would make the podium on the back of our first lap of the event...except they let the guy running in 6th place join the shootout and he pipped us by 3/1000ths and we were back in 4th. Paul tried sooooo hard to make this happen. I felt bad for all of us. Motorsport can be cruel at times....

ps back in the shop we discovered the aftermarket torsion tube carrier has also buckled. Goes to show you just need to make your own stuff!!!
I see what your saying. i am sorry to hear about your horrible bad luck. its always better to make your own if you can.
Old 10-21-2014 | 05:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

what kind of times are the Porsche GT3 supercup cars running there?
Old 10-21-2014 | 06:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Almost 250 KM/h in a car with out of round tires on the first hot lap is pretty serious commitment! He's really getting shaken in there. Good luck with the rebuild. There's pretty obvious potential there!
Thanks Charlie. Yes, Maxxi commitment from Paul. Both driving and building. Just never had time to build everything himself. His faith in some of the parts I supplied him is waning....

Originally Posted by reno808
I see what your saying. i am sorry to hear about your horrible bad luck. its always better to make your own if you can.
That will become more the norm rather than the exception. Might move to finishing the 16v motor now but want to source a custom crank. Not sure if we can get that down here...so that's a fairly major component that we have to trust 'out of house' yet again. Will have to do serious research.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what kind of times are the Porsche GT3 supercup cars running there?
Not sure that we have quite the same classes down here. The 991 Cup record is 1:30.9 held by Steven Richards. A long time Pro. We would have beaten that for sure. We could do a 1:29.X in it today if it was in one piece. More to come.
Old 10-21-2014 | 07:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
wow... how many Gs is that in mid corner?
Don't have data in front of me but we have recorded well over 2gs this year. That's peak, not sustained, but 2.49 peak as measured by Motec system is fairly high.
Old 10-21-2014 | 08:42 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
1486ft/lb springs front and rear Charlie. Yes, Aero changes everything. We've got a bit going on under the car although not allowed to have full flat floor nor do we run a diffuser even!
1486ft/lb??? Is this the fabled torsion bar front end?

Old 10-21-2014 | 10:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Haha, sort of Mike.

Fancy rocker activated blade / chromoloy sway bar setup repositioned behind axle to increase space at front to allow for diffusers.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014 | 10:55 PM
fred27
Instructor

Hi Patrick,
sorry to hear about all the problems your team faced. I still tip my helmet to you, Paul and the car and where you placed even with all those issues. Look forward and wish you all the best for your next outing.
Regards
Fred
Old 10-21-2014 | 11:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Fred, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Going 136mph min. through a 90o turn!