Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default McNish's Take on Ferrari and Alonso

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29166717
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I agree with McNish on some points, and others he's off base. Alonso has an out clause if he's 4th or lower in the points. You can't get rid of Kimi if there is the possibility of Alonso going to McLaren, besides, Kimi has just 1 more year on his contract IIRC.

Also, I disagree with McNish's statement on the relationship between Alonso and Di Montezemolo. Luca loved Alonso except when he bad mouthed the car. There are a lot of things you can do, but you cannot publically denounce the car at Ferrari ... it's what showed Prost the door when he was there.

Forget about Perez, when does Ricciardo's contract expire with Red Bull? That kid is the real deal and fierce racer -- no doubt a future WDC.

The Ferrari will not be better until the engine freeze regulations are changed.

The biggest mistake and why heads have rolled and will continue to roll at Ferrari F1 is because of their miscalculation of believing they could build a smaller engine because they were going to be superior in the aero department. Where/why/how, they thought this is beyond me. Can you imagine the reaction if Enzo were alive to have heard this? It goes against what the old man's philosophy was (aero is for people who can't build engines) AND it is common knowledge that the Ferrari wind tunnel sucks and has had problems with recalibration to the point there were using the old Toyota F1 wind tunnels in Cologne Germany. Couple that with the fact that Newey still works for RBR, how the heck would Ferrari be superior in the aero department to overcome a lack of HP??? We as Ferrari fans should brace themselves for a very long drought...
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

His point about Alonso masking the Ferrari's shortcomings is very astute. Always liked McNish - says what is on his mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only way Ferrari can get back on top is to get rid of Alonso (he's been there 4 years, costs a ton and the "magical car development skills" are nowhere to be found) and go 100% Jean Todt route: Forget you're Italian and only hire the best no matter where they're from.
But now with corp. mentality, I don't see much real creativity coming out of there so wouldn't hold my breath... Shame.
" I used to could..."

Honestly, if I were the head of their F1 department (and I'm not), I'd keep Kimi and let him be him (the way after Massa got hurt in Hungary and?or what Lotus did) and hire Hulk (assuming Aussie is not possible) or Bottas and try to lure some of the best Williams McL and/or Red Bull personnel onboard.

They need a new start.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:52 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^So you're saying get rid of the best driver in F1 because your engine engineers suck? C'mon man!

The only bright spot in that team has been Alonso. He's totally wiped his *** with Kimi (133 vs 45) and you're saying to keep Kimi and get rid of Alonso? Brother, you know that I will go through a wall for you, but your Suomi tinted glasses are blurring your vision.

The chassis is ok but the engine is the huge let down. They probably have the third best chassis (behind RedBull and Merc, in that order) but undoubtedly the worse engine in F1 today.

Ricciardo is the best young driver and he'd be my choice, so we both agree on that. If you can't bring him in, than go for Hulk or Bottas, but not for Alonso, for Kimi. Who knows maybe the rumors that Alonso is going to McLaren Honda are true.

I agree that they need to hire the best personnel no matter where they're from. At the top, I'd like to see Ross Brawn or Jean Todt, or they could go a completely different route and hire someone like Bruno Famin, Peugeot's Le Mans technical director or Ralf Jüttner or maybe Howden Haynes.

Knowing Ferrari they may just end up bringing back ol' Flava Flav.

Get rid of Alonso?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Ferrari needs to get rid of Alonso? They guy who has consistently obtained points with a subpar car needs to go? Really?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Ferrari needs to get rid of Alonso? They guy who has consistently obtained points with a subpar car needs to go? Really?
Yeah, when I read that comment from FF, I stopped reading. Some serious stuff he is drinking / smoking.

FA is Ferrari's only hope. I, really like Alonso and I'm a tifosi. I would like for FA to end his career in a high note- he deserves more WDC's. I for one hope he leaves Ferrari and goes to a team that can take him to the top, like he deserves. I do not believe Ferrari will turn the page quickly like Maca/ Redbull can. Many more head's need to roll at Ferrari. To much fat that needs to be trimmed before they get back to the good ol day.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda is reportedly willing to spend a cool 30 mill just to buy out Alonso's current contract:
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/...onso-contract-

So of course, Ferrari's best move is to cut him and get a better driver?

And then keep Kimi and "let him be him?" You mean, let him continue stinking up the place?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea that's what I meant (get rid of Alonso) and bunch of others, maybe Kimi also, that wasn't my point (that Kimi needs to stay or only Alonso needs to go)
It's not Alonso's fault and he has been driving great but something, or many things are not working and they're going to wrong direction so cleaning table might be what's needed.
Certainly hiring an Italian "car salesman" from US to lead the team is not the way...
That's my main issue (going Italian vs. going "Jean Todt way").
As Alan also points out, things are going the wrong way.
Or maybe it's as simple as having as good engine as MB (that's the case IMO at RB) and next year when they can change things in engine it should help but they're pretty far from top so major changes are needed.

Maybe JT is bored and Ross Brawn certainly must be, get them, give it 3 years and Alonso (Kimi whoever) there or not, they'd be getting to the top.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 09-26-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, Lying Finn's famous blinders are really on today. Sounds like someone is bitter that Kimi is getting a beating hon one ever imagined.

Interestingly, you prefer getting rid of the one thing that has been consistent and has actually worked at Ferrari, Alonso and his driving.

What are your opinions on the job Kimi has done this yr?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I give a better than 50/50 chance Alonso leaves Ferrari. He, in my opinion, is the best driver on the grid right now and McLaren/Honda want a top driver and Honda is willing to pay big $$ for him. The gamble on Alonso's side is does he believe that he can win at McLaren with a brand new engine from Honda?

His manager Flava Flav will have to be convinced that there is something special in that Honda engine for Alonso to move. Unfortunately, we cannot know everything that goes on behind closed doors and we all thought Hamilton was crazy going from McLaren to Mercedes when Mercedes was struggling, but they must have shown him what they had in store with the new formula regulations coming into affect and convinced him. It's reasonable that Honda could do the same thing if they have a good engine.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhhh yes, the Silly Season. Things we have not seen and heard are more likely.

Riccardo would be a stupid idiot not to have lunch with Marco Mattiacci regarding a ride. Red Bull did give him his start but for an Italian kid driving for the Scuderia is a live long dream. The desire is in their genes.

Alonso has made lots of noise about staying. Kimi not so much.
Somebody ask Ross Brawn how he is enjoying the fishing around Modena. He is tanned, rested, and ready. And no communication. I bet he has had lunch with Marco Mattiacci.

If Hammy gets screwed by Toto and or Nico expect him to look at McLaren again. If he wins WDC and Freddy leaves for McLaren look for him to look seriously at Ferrari.

Vettel is not a Ferrari guy.

I would love to see Freddy and Riccardo together in Modena.

I kinda like the Silly Season, speculating is great. Haas will throw a new wrinkle into this, and I like it.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:49 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Riccardo would be a stupid idiot not to have lunch with Marco Mattiacci regarding a ride. Red Bull did give him his start but for an Italian kid driving for the Scuderia is a live long dream. The desire is in their genes.
Saying Riccardo is Italian is like saying I'm Scottish. Just because someone has certain name does not make them from that country. Riccardo is all Aussie. Of course with that said, that does not mean he could not jump ship to Ferrari. But I have to ask why would he jump to the Italian Donkey Cart maker? Red Bull is the 2nd best car on the grid and while it's impossible to say what will happen next year, the betting man would assume Riccardo would stay at Red Bull at least one more season if Renault would learn their mistakes from this season and produce something more in line with what Mercedes has. But I totally see Alonso moving to McLaren next season, especially if Honda will have a good power plant. Of course it is silly season.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
But I have to ask why would he jump to the Italian Donkey Cart maker?

Totally agree.
Why would ANYONE who is serious about winning races (like Ricciardo) go to Ferrari? Sadly, they are a mess with no end in sight.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman

Totally agree.
Why would ANYONE who is serious about winning races (like Ricciardo) go to Ferrari? Sadly, they are a mess with no end in sight.
Exactly. Too much stubborn, too much hubris, not enough engineering.

Quick Reply: McNish's Take on Ferrari and Alonso