Sponsored by:

When brakes fail at COTA...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I shake my head at the guys doing sub 2:30's at Sebring in GT3's and 99Xs' with no Hans and stock seats and 3 points...
And shorts and t-shirts....

Originally Posted by Rene
I wounder how many sq feet of AstroTurf they replaced at the exit of 15, 19 & 20 during the Tudor race!
That stuff was a menace.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM
indaville
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I hear what you're saying, wouldn't do any door to door racing without one, but with only two DE's left this year, I'm gonna roll the dice...
No offense but this is one of the dumbest things I had seen on this forum. If you can't afford the Hans before X-mas then you really can't afford to do the DE's.

Keep in mind that these comments are coming from a guy who three weeks ago during a test session (which was being run under DE rules) had suspension failure sending me head first into a concrete wall at around 90 mph. Without a Hans I probably (we will never know) don't survive without at least some serious injuries.

Skipping just one DE would most likely save enough money to pay for the Hans.

Matt
Old 09-23-2014, 11:01 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Don't use harnesses without a hans. Standard belts are safer.
But get a hans, asap. Don't roll a dice before you know the stakes involved.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C

Wow , imagine all those years driving without a hans , ABS, TC, cool suits, telemetry, et al ..

What were we thinking .....
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by indaville
No offense but this is one of the dumbest things I had seen on this forum. If you can't afford the Hans before X-mas then you really can't afford to do the DE's.

Keep in mind that these comments are coming from a guy who three weeks ago during a test session (which was being run under DE rules) had suspension failure sending me head first into a concrete wall at around 90 mph. Without a Hans I probably (we will never know) don't survive without at least some serious injuries.

Skipping just one DE would most likely save enough money to pay for the Hans.

Matt
I'm not offended... And it has nothing to do with being able to afford it or not. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's a little strong. From what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of people participating in HPDE's don't run a HANS device.

By your logic, every person running an HPDE should be wearing Nomex too... I understand that you had an accident and I'm glad that you came out OK, but let's keep everything in perspective- the HANS is a relatively new safety device in the world of racing, and there are plenty of people that ran and crashed without them prior to their being invented.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Wow , imagine all those years driving without a hans , ABS, TC, cool suits, telemetry, et al ..

What were we thinking .....
You don't have to imagine anything. Here are some facts:

Basilar skull fractures are a common cause of death in many motor racing accidents. Drivers who have died as a result of basilar skull fracture include Formula One drivers Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna, Indianapolis 500 drivers Bill Vukovich, Tony Bettenhausen, Floyd Roberts, and Scott Brayton, NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt Sr., Adam Petty, Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, Jr., Neil Bonnett, John Nemechek, J. D. McDuffie, and Richie Evans, CART drivers Jovy Marcelo, Greg Moore and Gonzalo Rodriguez, and ARCA drivers Blaise Alexander and Slick Johnson.

To prevent this injury, all major motor sports sanctioning bodies now mandate the use of head and neck restraints, such as the HANS device.
For consistency, you should also be laughing at anything newer than this:

Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by baddogz28
the HANS is a relatively new safety device in the world of racing, and there are plenty of people that ran and crashed without them prior to their being invented.
I don't think you would dismiss it as easily if you knew more about what it does, and how easy it is to suffer major injury after even a low speed accident while wearing harnesses without it. Take a look at this video, and how the driver's head has to be held up by the co-driver (who's wearing a hans) after the hit:

Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have harnesses in a dead-stock 997 and I am plenty familiar with what a HANS device does.

I'd like to see a list of people who have suffered a basilar skull fracture in an HPDE.

I also don't know how mentioning that I am, in fact, getting a HANS device is dismissive. Seems to me that some of you guys should relax.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

baddogz28, I'm relaxed. All is good.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a halo seat / roll bar / HANS in my track car, used for time attack and lapping. Its still driven to and from the track, I definitely get strange looks at events as its a bit over the top in terms of safety equipment relative to the others I'm on track with here, and my car certainly isn't one of the fastest, not even close. However, I've seen 2 cars go into the walls this summer, and know of one other for sure. This wasn't at wheel-to-wheel racing events, these were either lapping or time attack. That's in one summer, and those are just the ones I've seen or am aware of. Part of that is due to a new track opening with a higher risk layout than the old track that closed last season. I'd say towards the end of this summer I've got less questions about my "over the top" safety equipment than before.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think, in general, folks on this forum are well-meaning people who want to keep "safe" information foremost on these kind of discussions.

I'm sure there are newcomers that will scroll this thread, while trying to decide if they need a HANS yet and think, "hey, here's a guy who's not too concerned about it.. maybe I can hold off, too?"

Personally, I have a welded in half cage, 3 layer nomex, 6 pt harnesses, fixed back seats, and a HANS. I'm not even remotely fast on track I'm actually looking at some sort of fire suppression system now, too. I'm sure people laugh at all my gear or when they see me suit up for HPDE.

One less thing to think about while I'm trying to learn how to drive.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Who cares if people laugh? You're smart to be as safe as you can be while on track. baddogz- your 997 is faster than 60% of the cars at your average club race, and your car doesn't know if your racing or doing a DE when you screw up or something breaks and you hit something. The Chicago Region PCA has a huge DE at Road America every Memorial Day weekend, and I swear, the first session every year someone wads up a street GT3. We're all responsible for ourselves, so do what makes you comfortable. Understand that there are some people here that have a lot of experience and have experienced some bad stuff on race tracks, myself included, and just like to see people be as safe as possible. YMMV.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Amazing how many armchair quarterbacks we have here.

Peak speed on thhat straight was 152 MPH for Mr. Bell just before brake failure. He was able to get the car slowed to 136 MPH at impact. I would say he is anything but an idiot, given how little real estate in which he accomplished this...
No armchair quarterbacks here Dave, just folks trying to analyze the situation and learn from it. hey, if you can watch my complete brake failure and save and discount how I did it..... good for you. good luck with trusting that some barrier will save you at 135mph impact. and by the way..... do you really think he was going 136mph at impact. you clearly have been drinking!
Didn't say he was an idiot, just saying he needed to drop a couple of gears for which he had 100 to 200ft to slow the car with engine braking.
just like that AIX video. no downshift means no use of some available slowing power. all he accomplished was a few S turns.

thank the track folks for spending the cash on those barriers. whatever the speed, and it was fast, anything stopping the car faster, would have been injury for the driver.

remember, I had a blown brake line too! no brakes! yet was able to make turn 2 at laguna only because I did brake or attempt to brake a a little early to find out I had an issue, and dropped a gear as soon as I could. its amazing how much decal force engine braking can provide. had I not suspected a failure, the downshift sill would have only put me in the middle of the sand pits.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just watched the LS video. Total brake failure and you kept driving on track? Okey dokey.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
Thunderhill T14: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t14-crash.html

You can safely simulate a brake line failure by opening a bleeder. Crack a bleeder, drive it at 15mph then stomp the pedal. If there's no stopping at all then I'd call that unacceptable, personally...
I think most give you rear brakes if the front line goes, but I don't see it. crack a line, jack up the rear of the car and see if brake pressure, with line cracked on a tube to a bottle, can stop the rear wheels even with the pedal going to the floor. (which is what will happen). there is supposed to be a line that gets some pressure to apply brakes, but I haven't seen it work with a blown front brake line.

Quick Reply: When brakes fail at COTA...