Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Tender" or "Helper" Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003 | 06:32 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Question "Tender" or "Helper" Springs??

As I have embarked on a FULL suspension changout on my C2, going to a monoball setup w/camber plates and Bilstein re-valved shocks with 9" Hypercoil springs, aluminum hats, etc...

...I have a few questions!

I bought a used setup and got SEVERAL extra hats/perches and lock rings, springs, you name it - a GREAT deal.

Upon doing some investigative homework in regards to buying different spring rates, etc. I've come upon several setups that have a smaller spring referred to as a "tender/helper" spring coupled up with the main spring.

What is this for??

I'm guessing it's to make the setup progressive and possibly not as "violent" while on the street??

If so, I'm interested, or at least I'm sure I'll be interested upon completing my installation!!

I am using 9" Hypercoil springs and am guessing that to convert to a "tender/helper" spring setup you would have to use 7" springs, the "floater perch" and the "tender/helper" springs or the car would ride pretty darned high??

Any input, suggestions, insights, whatever...would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if the setup I have has the flexibility to go to a "tender/helper" spring setup?

For now, I have made my purchase, and while probably not the best setup like Ohlin, H&R Supercup, etc. - I'm gonna live with it!

Anybody have a nice used ADJUSTABLE 22 or 24mm FRONT swaybar to sell?? ...I currently have an M030 NON-adjustable 22mm.
Old 08-12-2003 | 08:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

OK, first things first. Tender springs and helper springs look similar at first glance, but are indeed different animals.

Helper springs are very low rate and their job is simply to keep the main springs seated at full droop. When the car is at rest on the ground, helper springs are fully coilbound. These springs do nothing to affect the handling of the car.

Tender springs are higher rate springs used in conjunction with main springs to alter the spring rates. They generally don't result in a progressive net spring rate. They create a different spring rate when used in conjunction with main springs (there is a formula for this, but I don't have time to look it up at the moment). Once the tender springs coilbind (if they coilbind), you then end up with the rate of the main springs. Beware that this is not at intuitive (at least IMHO). Personally, I would say that unless you really have a clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish, and why you cannot do it with just main springs (no compound rates), then just stick with the main springs and perhaps helpers to keep them seated.
Old 08-12-2003 | 09:33 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Jeff:
My dads 93 C2 has the H&R Cup suspension on it. I has (based on George's desription) the tender springs. I can tell you that his car is far from high. To use a favorite term of our friends in the sport-compact world, it is slammed.

Can't help you on the swaybar.
Old 08-12-2003 | 06:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Hopefully Steve Weiner will sound in here. He can help you with the differences between helper springs and (active) tender springs, and what spring combinations would be best for your particular car. I've got tender springs in the front of my car, and singles in the back.
Old 08-13-2003 | 12:19 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Okay cool, I might even give Steve an email "prod" to speed things along.

...where was that email?

I'm convinced that I need to get to the bottom of this whole issue...but as of tonight, my fronts are singles, 600# and rears are singles @ 750#

Haven't gotten the car out of the garage yet as I have some other things I've decided to tackle while it's up on jackstands...can't wait...probably gonna need a NEW DENTIST!!??

Quick Reply: "Tender" or "Helper" Springs??