Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you still feel nervous before each race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do you still feel nervous before each race?

Hi All,

I've been racing for about 2 full seasons (in my third) now, I've learned a lot and I'm constantly learning new things each time I race. I'm just wondering if you guys with more experience still get or feel nervous before the start of each race like I do. I'm ok after the race starts, maybe its the anticipation, or excitement. Just wondering...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Only after I look at my qualifying time, and do the math as to which lap I will be lapped on. I get really nervous when the answer is "3".
Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats pretty good Mike,
I've never raced. But done a few de's and I can get lapped in 2!!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I haven't raced on the track, I do DE's and autox.

Having just read the "Inner Speed Secrets" I am learning to stop worrying, and get myself into "The Zone" before I go out on the track, or start my autox run. (Deep breathing, focus on calm, getting the mind to be centered) Believe it or not, this helps!

I find that removing the 'adrenaline factor' from both venues helps me to concentrate better on what's at hand.

Of course, when the checkered flag drops, that's when I let out a "whooop" and the adrenaline pours out!

YMMV,
-Z-man.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
After having done 24 races in my 944-Spec car in PCA, NASA, & ASRA since April 2002. I am still nervous before each race. I am getting less nervous each time, but it is still there and don't think it will go away. Once the green drops I am too busy to be nervous!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> I'm just wondering if you guys with more experience still get or feel nervous before the start of each race like I do. I'm ok after the race starts, maybe its the anticipation, or excitement... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Only 18 races under my (5 pt) belt. I think it is mostly excitement and anticipation, with a little nervousness mixed in. Plus everyone tells you how important it is to hydrate. Lots of porta-potty visits as a result.

I will be spending a lot of time this weekend with a certain frequent poster on this board who will be experiencing his first competition, a PCA Club race. I will do an in-depth field analysis and report back. Of course he's racing a cab, so he may be too crazy to be nervous.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

I remember my first enduro race, I drank so much water that I had to run to the porta-potty when I did a pit stop. Albeit it was in the cold pits.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
I have worked with many high-end Champ Car drivers who all have some pre-race jitters. They say when you dont have some sort or nervousness, its time to stop racing...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
I have worked with many high-end Champ Car drivers who all have some pre-race jitters. They say when you dont have some sort or nervousness, its time to stop racing...
Old 06-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Chris,
That is well said and was my thought. If you aren't a little bit nervous with anticapation and maybe some fear you probably shouldn't be out of the track. Now once the race starts, that nervousness is all out the window. After the race I am so wired that I bounce off the walls, figuratively....
Old 06-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Kim

Old 06-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

We had a 30 minute fog delay at the start of a BEMC Touring Car GT race at Mosport a month ago and I fell asleep in the car on the grid, so I'm making progress in the pre-race nerves category. But usually I'm a bundle of nerves. The biggest help is the deep breathing mentioned above, and I lecture myself if I feel that I'm getting uncomfortably hyper, "hey, you're not suffering, this is, after all, what you paid your money for."
Old 06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts
I've only done 10 races, and I still get a little nervous/anticipation feeling. I end up thinking to myself "don't F up the start," and then repeating it. Like Jim, I once dozed off a waiting on the grid while cars from the previous race were being pulled out of the gravel traps.

Greg is right, as soon as the green flag drops, you are too busy to remember you were nervous.

My car still has a a stereo in it so sometimes (before race time) I put a CD in with some relaxing music. It helps.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:34 AM
addictionms
Instructor

When I raced bicycles I had a coach who told me the nervous feeling was just your body getting ready race. So it is a good thing. SO I always approach the starts nervousness and see it as a posivite thing, my mind and body know what is about to happen and they are preparing for it.

I think that is why it is said that if the nervousness is gone, you should stop, your body is no longer preparing correctly for the event.

Jim
Old 06-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Neal K Wright
AutoX

I've done about 25-30 races, mostly with POC, over the last 5 years. I still get a bit nervous/anxious while waiting on the grid. What really helps me is to drive the track in my mind. You know, visualize your marks such as braking points, track out points, etc while sitting in the car. I also set a goal for the first turn such as trying to get past a specific car or trying to get the best possible entry to turn 1 and knowing where that is with traffic around.

It has a way of putting you on the track and in the action before you are actually there. It's like the saying "you have to see it to be it". It seems to direct my focus in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Do you still feel nervous before each race?