Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point club race open

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great event! Thank you Potomac & PCA folks for hosting. Great to meet you guys.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Definately a great event all around....Weather was great....racing as well...and the dinner as always was good.
Stink bugs yeh its supposed to be a bad year for them.

Big thanks to all the volunteers and those that made it happen. Scruits did a great job and provided some comedy in the meetings as well.....still like brent threatening those who dont follow the pit speed limit...not a ticket...but a "talking too" from the little guy

E class had some fun racing all weekend but of course had my all to famillier throttle issues show up AGAIN this year...broke a throttle return spring EARLY in sprint 2....then in the enduro my headlight **** somehow unscrewed itself and of course found its way behind my throttle pedal....i swear i dont make this stuff up...

Got to see a bunch of the same old faces and some new ones which was nice, good group of SP3 boys from NJ area, the good old E army showed up...Wish mark francis had more luck...depsite all efforts he couldnt get the car right enough to race.

had some unfortunate carnage but i believe all walked away ok, i dont think our group had a single full course yellow actually all weekend.

Congrats to all the Winners, Personal Bests, and those that had a good time....look forward to doing it again next year.
Big thanks to Potomac Region for another great weekend.

Very good pics found here
http://kennerh1.smugmug.com/PCA-Summ...2014/i-WMKbrMj

Last edited by Der ABT; 09-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next year I'm coming with a car and racing in lieu of a green shirt.

Great event, the grid folks were a blast to work with. West did a great job as steward, Racers all played nice. All the region folks were a hoot to work with as well.

The locals were a little interesting but we cleared that up.

Evan you drove a great race although the extended SP3 pit stop helped you with the overall win.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Oh, and LOL at the IHAFT award. Glad the driver was there to receive it.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

haha, i felt bad procuring that trophy when i saw it being towed in by the corner workers...but with the help of the emergency crew and the Grid Team......it was something i would have wanted as well, also helps that he has a good sense of humor.

i like the ring of ...IHAFT award...just hope it never is given out again...or if it is its a smaller trophy.

Yes Brent that enduro was a strange win....i just ran a time...basically did 124s all race long...when i got the 1 lap left i was VERY confused that it was given to me and not the guy just in front of me on the straight....then the same thing happened with the checkered....pulled into the pits as the first person it still didnt sink in...i know there were at least 4 cars that pulled away at the beginning of the race.
Stach Clarke and I had some good fun for a lot of laps, till i got lucky when stach made a mistake in t1.

Nice driving out the scott, i know you and hunt were having some fun.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a view of the paddock from my drone, just for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFq...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a drone is definitely on my wishlist. Is there a way to adjust the camera mounting on yours so that the frame is not in the field of the camera? The stability was excellent. Also I'm impressed and presently surprised that the DOD didn't shoot it down when you panned the camera towards their property (only half kidding...)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 PM
deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Wow what a weekend! This is always one of the most fun events that I do every year and this didn't dissapoint. It's unfortunate that there weren't more registered, because it was a great event. I don't remember any full course cautions in my groups and there was no discussion of db limits being exceeded.

Truthfully I have not been able to do much driving this year. Added with all the changes that I made to the car over the off season, I spent most of this weekend shaking off the cob webs and relearning how to drive. It all came together for me in the Enduro so I left happy. I didn't get any podiums or set any lap records but just about every race I had was fun and envolved some tough competition. Sunday was the first day I didn't get called into the scales after every on track so I was able to get my tires truely dialed in for the points sprint and enduro. I was over weight at VIR and then under weight at Summit by the same amount so I had to justify that for most of Saturday. After I got that worked out, fun was majorly had. The points sprint I set my personal best lap of a 24.1. Last years pb was 24.8 I think, and was kind of a fluke. The enduro was probably the most fun drive i've had. I had a great start and then was running with Del and Timmy for most of the race, solid competition and everyone played nice. Had a pretty good pit stop, I've had some really bad ones and this was 4secs over so I'll take it! Then the rest of the race I was trying to catch back to Timmy and Del. no podium but I got out of the car grinning and still haven't stopped.

Congrats to Evan and Stu for cleaning house and representing Potomac.
Thank you to Intersport, The Potomac family, and all the volunteers, CORNER WORKERS and Scruts for cracking us up all weekend!
Always a fun time and I can't wait till next year.

Here's a short video from the yellow group Enduro. Highlights are the start and around 19:20

http://youtu.be/s8I4P68bhrc
Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captdownshift
a drone is definitely on my wishlist. Is there a way to adjust the camera mounting on yours so that the frame is not in the field of the camera? The stability was excellent. Also I'm impressed and presently surprised that the DOD didn't shoot it down when you panned the camera towards their property (only half kidding...)
you can change the camera angle, even point it straight down, or face it the other way. Takes practice to get good at flying it, but I have lots of R/C experience. Easier, of course, to just take off from a big open area like this, but from my backyard with trees and houses and all is another story, let alone landing it! Range is fantastic and it's lots of fun. PCA told me that flying it during a race might not go over too well, but I've done it before and it can be pretty entertaining.

Here's from Friday at Pocono:

Old 10-01-2014, 02:24 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

I expect that in the not too distant future, drone use will be handled more along the similar lines of standard photography, where you have those with less experience who only have permission to fly at certain times and over certain places, but those with greater experience who have reviewed certain guidelines with event organizers and worked on providing some insight and agree to certain guidelines will be allowed to fly with a bit more access during events. (just as some photographers are allowed over the wall, where as most are not). A lot of this entails having a flight plan and allowing intent and the flight area to be shared with course workers and drivers during their meetings.

I'm not saying that these changes are imminent or will occur in 2015, but I wouldn't be too surprised if such changes develop at some point.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I was the only one that could have had sound issues. My new turn downs thanks to Fred Pfeiffer and Charlie at Intersport worked great. 101.7 db. I can go almost anywhere now.

Still love the way my car sounds.

Stu
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
Still love the way my car sounds.
So do I! Watching from the stand at T10 I could hear you coming under the bridge and it was glorious!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Here's from Friday at Pocono:
Cool vantage point! There are some rough lines into that first corner... And I'm amazed they let cars park right there on the track!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Those cars aren't parked, they're the flaggers/instructors. They drive out and return from each session. Since it's a "race school" they come back in to deliver feedback each time. Agreed though, it's strange to see a car parked at each flagger station.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
haha, i felt bad procuring that trophy when i saw it being towed in by the corner workers...but with the help of the emergency crew and the Grid Team......it was something i would have wanted as well, also helps that he has a good sense of humor.

i like the ring of ...IHAFT award...just hope it never is given out again...or if it is its a smaller trophy.

Yes Brent that enduro was a strange win....i just ran a time...basically did 124s all race long...when i got the 1 lap left i was VERY confused that it was given to me and not the guy just in front of me on the straight....then the same thing happened with the checkered....pulled into the pits as the first person it still didnt sink in...i know there were at least 4 cars that pulled away at the beginning of the race.
Stach Clarke and I had some good fun for a lot of laps, till i got lucky when stach made a mistake in t1.

Nice driving out the scott, i know you and hunt were having some fun.
I had lot of fun with Evan and Clarke.
This was my first time at SP starting on Saturday (broken axle keep me of the track, thx to Omar for helping me get the new pair), I was trying different lines and finding limits of the track.
In sprint #3 Rob and me where doing low 122's .
Can't wait to get back next year.

Quick Reply: Summit Point club race open