Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG R1 vs R1S

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have run a set of R1 in the past and loved them, but they heat-cycled out with "no" apparent wear, so I jumped at the opportunity to run some R1-S, especially in the 315/30 size (v. 285/30) for the GT3.

Ran them today at Mosport but was not impressed. I just didn't feel confident to get on the power as early and as hard as I normally do with the Hoosiers: Hard to tell, but it's as if the sidewall is soft and flexes too much? The car was very loose and the back stepped out a few times.

I played with the shocks a bit, but will need to experiment some more to find a comfortable setting (comments welcome).

I've had to scrap a few Hoosiers in the past due to tread/sidewall splitting, so was looking forward to having an alternative.

These things will either settle down or wear out from all the sliding... or I will figure them out, hopefully.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Duplicate
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

After reviewing my logs I noted that the R1S seems to work better when the weather is cool or warm and not sunny. In July at WGI it was hot = 80F+ with full sun, the same R1S were slower than in May. These tires went away after 2 HC in the hot weather, with the total HC at 28.

In the hot conditions fresh R1S were OK in July, but still were a little off the pace from May.

I found the best grip running 34/34 psi on a 6GT3, perhaps it should be higher in hot weather?

The blue band around the tread shows up before they wear out.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Interesting, it was pretty hot on the weekend.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
After reviewing my logs I noted that the R1S seems to work better when the weather is cool or warm and not sunny. In July at WGI it was hot = 80F+ with full sun, the same R1S were slower than in May. These tires went away after 2 HC in the hot weather, with the total HC at 28.

In the hot conditions fresh R1S were OK in July, but still were a little off the pace from May.

I found the best grip running 34/34 psi on a 6GT3, perhaps it should be higher in hot weather?

The blue band around the tread shows up before they wear out.
I was with Dave at the referenced WGI event. I am using Hoosier R6s and just could not get right on the track. Turn 9, for example, which always gets my respect but I have a good feel for just never felt right. Lap times were down 2-2.5 seconds for me. Tire pressures were under control.
Turned out that Dave and I weren't the only drivers feeling that way. Might have been a combination of weather and a greasy track from prior events, but it was happening all over the track, so I suspect that the weather had a lot to do with it. Not just the heat, which was way less than many 90+ days I have experienced, but also the humidity, which was pretty high.

Quick Reply: BFG R1 vs R1S