Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosport - what is the best line through 5a and 5b?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4

There used to be a great video of Pat Long in the Flying Lizard #45, with voiceover of two practice laps.
Too bad it's gone.

In that video PL described T8 as "another light braking corner"
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a couple laps from last season during the ALMS warmup session. It was my first time at the track, but all the GTC cars seemed to be doing the same thing through 5-5a (carry as much speed through 4, straight to apex curb at 5) and 8-9-10. Bit of traffic in the first few laps but it opens up a little after that. Car setup wasn't good during the weekend but it didn't effect the line.

-mike
Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been playing with 5a and 8 lately.

Re: 5a, I find that if I take a shallower line at the top of 4, as the racers in the videos seem to do, it works best if I head right for the apex at 5a. If I take a slightly wider line at the top of 4, it's more comfortable to go wide of the apex at 5a, following the black strip. I haven't established, yet, which is quicker.

re: 8, I have been drifting twoard entering just left of middle track at the top of the hump, then doing the double apex. I don't think I lost any time, but then again, I'm not real fast, anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Searched for Mosport, but didn't come up with much. Do you remember what the thread was?

Oh, and no straight between 8 and 9, drive them like esses, with the steering wheel in constant motion.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...s-weekend.html

For T8.....start @ post #30 with reference to the video a few posts before.

HTH--
Gary
Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Too bad it's gone.

In that video PL described T8 as "another light braking corner"
That's the one.

Drove around with Peter Carroll recently and he does it differently (Peter is very fast): All the way left, flat until midway between the bridge and the corner (late), and then trailbrake for what seems like all the way around to the end (?) of the first curbing.

There is no drama when he does it and I can do it if less than WOT, but I don't have the guts to stay on the gas as long as he does. Just seems to me that by doing it this way, there is very little margin for error.

Oh, and no straight between 8 and 9, drive them like esses, with the steering wheel in constant motion.
We watched Peter pass cars at the club race last year as spectators from outside 9. It was most impressive. He's taken me around to illustrate this, too, and you describe it pretty accurately. Totally serene in the car, but as you say, I suspect it has to be to work.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleadh
Here's a couple laps from last season during the ALMS warmup session. It was my first time at the track, but all the GTC cars seemed to be doing the same thing through 5-5a (carry as much speed through 4, straight to apex curb at 5) and 8-9-10. Bit of traffic in the first few laps but it opens up a little after that. Car setup wasn't good during the weekend but it didn't effect the line.

-mike
Mike, the lap starting at 6:00 was tidy -- what kind of coaching did the team offer, if you can share it? I know that a lot of the teams believed that they had to stay a couple of feet outside the bottom apex at 2 that year, and I saw and heard something similar during the NASCAR truck race last year. Thanks for the video!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Mike, the lap starting at 6:00 was tidy -- what kind of coaching did the team offer, if you can share it? I know that a lot of the teams believed that they had to stay a couple of feet outside the bottom apex at 2 that year, and I saw and heard something similar during the NASCAR truck race last year. Thanks for the video!
My co-driver Jan Heylen helped me a lot, as did doing a track walk w/ JvO and the ESM guys who I work with regularly. It was Jan's first time there as well so we pretty much just studied video and data after each session.

-mike
Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill N
I've been playing with 5a and 8 lately.

Re: 5a, I find that if I take a shallower line at the top of 4, as the racers in the videos seem to do, it works best if I head right for the apex at 5a. If I take a slightly wider line at the top of 4, it's more comfortable to go wide of the apex at 5a, following the black strip. I haven't established, yet, which is quicker.

re: 8, I have been drifting twoard entering just left of middle track at the top of the hump, then doing the double apex. I don't think I lost any time, but then again, I'm not real fast, anyway.

Thoughts?
In my humble, those two "complexes" are where the most time can be gained.

How you approach 5A depends on how you like to exit 5B, or rather how you want to set up/rotate for 5B (loose or not); or maybe you want to go for a pass on the inside @ exit of 5B; or protect the entry to 5A in a race. You can round it out more or less to your taste, but I think that the idea is to try to trail-brake all the way up to the "turn-in" for 5B.

A shallower line at the top of 4 gives you a bit of positive camber, which settles the car and gives you more confidence to go flat on the way down the hill.

I don't think that there's one right way to do 8: The best way is the one that makes you feel comfortable enough to get back on the gas early and hard. I like coming in at a diagonal and having lots of track in front of me, but I'm also working on Peter's line.

Originally Posted by gbuff
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...s-weekend.html

For T8.....start @ post #30 with reference to the video a few posts before.

HTH--
Gary
Thanks Gary
Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Had a great time at Mosport, and these suggestions were a big help. Good to meet Francois Faust and Matt DiStefano and others as well as see old friends, especially the Rennspoon guys. Bill Newby gave me a much-needed refresher (love his new M3; great on the track/great going out for lunch, but electric window shades??).
Thanks, everyone - I've been to Mosport sporadically; this was my best trip there by far (new car and great weather helped).
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Rick, come back anytime, it was a fun weekend.

Quick Reply: Mosport - what is the best line through 5a and 5b?