Sponsored by:

Road America

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was tons of fun to see Jeff, Paul, Kim, Mark and a number of others. We didn't go to the big dinner on Saturday but instead did a group dinner at a different restaurant (Con: not seeing everyone else; Pro: better food and wine and quiet enough to talk). As a non-pro it was fun to see what seemed like half the paddock stop by to say hello to either Jerry Woods or Craig Watkins. We all had a great time and I'm pretty sure we will be back next year.

(Apologies to Mike Faems, a fellow Rennlister, as I was pit crew for Craig Watkins in the enduro and we cheered when he was able to pass you - but we cheered for you too. )

Mark was smokin' fast in either the GT3 or the GT4.

At 88 HP/L I was thrilled to see a 2:25. My car is built for a different class and does not fit well into PCA classes but it's still a lot of fun to run at RA and give some of the cup cars a hard time. It's funny to think of my car as a 'momentum' car, but it sure seemed that way in the races. Any time a cup slowed me down in a turn it was a real detriment to lap times - and my ability to catch back up given the straights where they killed me. I forgot the video from the enduro in the car, but I'll try to get something up on youtube in the not too distant future.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom- your car is beautiful and at your wt/hp totally out gunned in GT3.
Obviously a huge straight-line speed differential between us. 2:25's is cooking down on power (relative to other GT3s) as you are.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul: Yes, but it sure is fun anyway.

Everything is a trade-off and while I might whine about HP as cars go flying by, I don't regret spending less and getting a 200 hour motor that is class competitive in our GTL class. That said, if I win the lottery, I might have a 3.8 or 4.0 built so I can be competitive in PCA events.

I still think you should have Jeff and Carl bring your cars to Sears Point and run with us at the end of October. While I love RA, I like SP a bit better as it is more technical and a bit more difficult to drive.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM
SoClose
Racer

We would like to do Sear's again, but will be surfing in Maui Halloween weekend.
A great event, bummed we'll miss it. We'll look for another fall event to join you guys.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Our NASA/PRC Sears Point dates are Sept 26-28 and Oct 24-26.

My wife and I head to Maui for 2 weeks on Nov 2, just after our race season ends. If you come to Kaanapali, let us know, I'll buy the first 2 rounds of drinks.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Attendance seemed to be down and judging by the Saturday night party the heyday seems to be behind us for now. It still is, IMHO, the best overall PCA event in the country.
+1

This was my 5th TRAC in a row. It is, without a doubt, my favorite race weekend. It is also probably my favorite track (personally I find RA to be quite demanding).

But in 2010-11, you could barely squeeze into the door at Siebkens at 11PM on Fri. or Sat. night. For whatever reason, the bar has been dead the last few years.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Second year in a row for me.
Wonderful track.
Not sold out so a few of us got to double dip. Ran E and GT2 until I ran OUT of talent in t14 in my gt3 and brakes failed in my antique during rainy enduro WHILE I WAS E LEADER (2nd overall). RF caliper failed.
Thanks for all the help from Goldcrest and sharing your spot.
And wonderful BBQ from Red Bear.
And the eye candy at Accumoto was breathtaking.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

I saw the back of Blackie on Monday...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 PM
SoClose
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
Our NASA/PRC Sears Point dates are Sept 26-28 and Oct 24-26.

My wife and I head to Maui for 2 weeks on Nov 2, just after our race season ends. If you come to Kaanapali, let us know, I'll buy the first 2 rounds of drinks.
I'll PM you before we go.
I'll probably come up for Honolua Bay once or twice, or we can meet in Lahina some night.
VR, great seeing you and your wife! I haven't gotten to those pictures yet- will have to email on your personal address. Racecoach.net maybe??
Old 09-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoClose
I'll PM you before we go.
I'll probably come up for Honolua Bay once or twice, or we can meet in Lahina some night.
VR, great seeing you and your wife! I haven't gotten to those pictures yet- will have to email on your personal address. Racecoach.net maybe??
Likewise!

Girlfriend, not wife. I am single. And yes, please send to dave@racecoach.net, THANKS!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 PM
SoClose
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Likewise!

Girlfriend, not wife. I am single. And yes, please send to dave@racecoach.net, THANKS!!!
Sorry I got the status incorrect- but looking at, and speaking with her suggests maybe time to step up to the plate?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Paul, check your email for something relevant
Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 AM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1u4p2v1as...P2n1xbeFa?dl=0

Link of photos from second Enduro group and Saturday night. I apologize that I want unable to get photos at other times during the weekend.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Girlfriend, not wife.
How long?

Quick Reply: Road America