Cayman Interseries Transmission Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman Interseries Transmission Temperature

Hi there,

I have been searching through the threads trying to find something specific to the 2011 Cayman (Stock or Interseries) transmission running hot along with the potential causes.

I have an alarm set in my MXL when the Transmission Temp reaches 285F. I have a transmission cooling unit with a Weldon pump. The unit must be turned on manually, which is done each time we head out on to the track. I do not know if my son always turned it on, but he does now.

I was up at Mont-Tremblant for a 3 day event with 2 people driving the car. The first day was a rain day so no issues. The second day was sunny and warm, but again, no issues. The 3rd day started as a rain day, but ended dry. After 40 minutes on the track, my TransT alarm went off indicating that the fluid reached a temp of 285 degrees. This is the first time that this has ever occurred in the 2 years that I have owned the car. I brought the car in and check things out. The cooling radiator was hot along with all lines running in and out, indicating that the pump was actually moving fluid around.

The temperature tended to creep up as the run progressed, hovering around 230 and then moving up to around 255, then onwards to 270+.

The transmission fluid was changed at the beginning of the season along with all other fluids.

Thanks
nick
Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Did the temperature keep climbing or did it start to level off? Use the snap function so you can zoom out for the entire session and see what it was doing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Matt,

I used that feature and it was fine on Monday's runs. Tuesday, which was warmer, started showing continuous rising up to around 260F. Other runs it was able to keep the temp under control. Sometimes it keeps cool, other times it cannot manage the temp. I was looking at laps with similar lap times.

Nick
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How does it look throughout a whole session (multiple laps)? Does it keep climbing or level off? It sounds like it might be intermittent, which might be an electrical problem with the pump or pump wear?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I tell people to change their oil every 6-8 full days. Beginning of the season is kind of vague.
What oil are you running.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If you don't have a trans cooler and pump on the cayman you will cook the trans fluid.

All inter series and up have them
Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

GTgears, Do you recommend a particular oil for use with your limited slip in a Cayman application? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
If you don't have a trans cooler and pump on the cayman you will cook the trans fluid.

All inter series and up have them
Absolutely true. It was the same with 914/6 cars, too. Install a good cooler & pump to keep transmission temps at 210 deg F and its far more durable.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
GTgears, Do you recommend a particular oil for use with your limited slip in a Cayman application? Thanks.
I like the factory fill in the Cayman because they have a somewhat unique synchro. Other customers run Delvac and like it. Just stay away from extra slippery LSD specific gear oils. They make the LSD less effective.

All Interseries cars got a cooler when delivered from Napleton, along with one of my LSDs.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I like the factory fill in the Cayman because they have a somewhat unique synchro. Other customers run Delvac and like it. Just stay away from extra slippery LSD specific gear oils. They make the LSD less effective.

All Interseries cars got a cooler when delivered from Napleton, along with one of my LSDs.
and it works great
Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The original post says it has a cooler and a wheldon pump. Also said he has made sure it's getting warm and the fluid is circulating.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have found the factory oil to shift much better then Delvac in this application
I've not had any issue's with overheating with either though
Are you sure there was no debris on the cooler?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

I see you mentioned the cooler gets hot, but you might check that you're getting full full through the pump/cooler. Pumps go bad, you could have debris in the cooler/pump/lines, air in the system somewhere, etc. At that temp, you shouldn't be able to touch your cooler. Is it that hot?

Scott

Quick Reply: Cayman Interseries Transmission Temperature