R comps for 997.1 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
svt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R comps for 997.1 C2S?

Hi guys,

I've done a ton of searching here on this forum as well as google. I keep falling short in getting an answer to my question....

I currently have a set of NT05's on 18" Victor Equipment wheels that I use for DE days. The tires are ready to be replaced at this time, and I want to upgrade to an R comp tire. The only other mods are Pagid RS29 pads all around. The car has the Sports Chrono option as well.

I drive aggressively and find the that the car under steers more than I'd like. I understand that this is also a result of my driving style, and I can make improvements and changes to correct that ( which I will continue to work on), but in addition to that, I'd like more grip, particularly in the front. I am not opposed to doing a proper alignment ( will I need the GT3 control arms for this absolutely?), the car needs more front bite. I find it difficult to rotate the car until the rear tires start to really heat up and get "greasy". I've been running compromise tire pressures to help find the handling balance I want ( easier to rotate) and have been running pressures that would surely draw criticism here!

One aspect of the NT05's that I have found pleasing is the stiff sidewall construction. I can run the fronts fairly soft at cold PSI (24 psi) and they don't roll over at all as they reach operating pressure of 32 psi after a few laps. I find that I can also read what they are doing temperature wise fairly well. I've never had an R comp tire, will I have a steeper learning curve adjusting to their traction and drivability attributes?

Finally, is my car too softly sprung for R comps? I don't want to mod the suspension at all, I'd rather save the money toward a car upgrade instead. Or should I just stay with a non-R comp tire and do an alignment? My main goal is to increase front bite and be able to rotate the car easier.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by svt1
Hi guys,

I've done a ton of searching here on this forum as well as google. I keep falling short in getting an answer to my question....

I drive aggressively and find the that the car under steers more than I'd like. I understand that this is also a result of my driving style, and I can make improvements and changes to correct that

This would be a very good place to start.

am not opposed to doing a proper alignment

And another.

have been running pressures that would surely draw criticism here!

OK. Why?

I don't want to mod the suspension at all,

OK. Why?

Perhaps a Cup car bekons...

Thanks!
You may get differing opinions here though.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a C2S like yours.
There is a lot of understeer designed into that car and it makes tracking it stock a bit frustrating.

Here's what I did:

GT3 lower control arms.
H&R sway bars.
"Aggressive street/track" alignment (-2 camber in the front)
Hoosier R6 (keep pressure under 34 hot)

That transformed the car and didn't chew up street tires.

You could skip the sway bars and still have a car that handles more neutrally. Now you'll have a car that is a joy to drive and you can really begin to work on your driving technique.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: R comps for 997.1 C2S?